Decoy for public land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Decoy for public land

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 am

I know that decoying is not Beast style, and its probally very unsafe to do on public land lol. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this during BOW SEASON! Maybe have an orange vest for when you are transporting it? I like to use decoys but Iv never hunted public.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: Decoy for public land

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:53 am

I use a Montana doe decoy on public land and have had success pulling in small bucks, but never big ones. I like it because it is very transportable and light. The problem I find is that there are not many spots on public land to set up a decoy where it can be seen for a good distance where a good buck will be roaming during daylight hours. Although it can be done, my friend shot one over a Montana doe decoy on public land (125ish 8 pt) a couple years ago.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 am

Agreed on the few places to set up on public land.

The big thing to me...is it gives away my location to other hunters. If a buck can see if off in the distance...so can other hunters. All it takes is for one person to see a deke...and then that spot is hammered.

I stick to private only for dekes.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 am

I've tried the decoy thing on public about 6 0r 7 years ago, never had any luck with it, a buck would see it and bolt.....so after that happened a few times decoy went bye bye, not to mention a pain to take out and set up, i never did use it on private but I'm not convinced that a decoy is gonna help me more than hurt my set up so I no longer use one......
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 am

Ive rarely had success with dekes on public bc they get everything under the sun thrown at them during season. Seems the best tactic for killing mature bucks on public is scouting and moving in at the right time.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:50 am

ive tried them with fixed results. conditions have to be right and the deer in the right mood and then just maybe. not worth the trouble IMO. on public land anyways.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for the feed back guys. Seems like a hassle with little success. Ill just save it for private land.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 am

RUTIN wrote:Ive rarely had success with dekes on public bc they get everything under the sun thrown at them during season. Seems the best tactic for killing mature bucks on public is scouting and moving in at the right time.

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”