no water on land?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

k9callicoat

no water on land?

Unread postby k9callicoat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

I hunt a small 5 acre property that is surrounded by maybe another 20 acres. There is no water really around for drinking for the deer but I do get deer moving through my property with at least 6 different bucks that hang around. Would I benefit from putting a small water hole on the 5 acres?

joel k9
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: no water on land?

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:21 am

Certainly couldnt hurt. I wouldnt go crazy
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:03 am

It could help more than you think if you can keep water in it.... use a small koi fish pond and it'll work just fine.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 am

Consider the kiddy pool method. Get a ~4-5' kiddy pool and bury it a little bit and then fill it with water. Talk about a cheap way to try it. If it works and you want something better you can always do more later when you know it will work. Good luck.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 am

Absolutely it will work ! But don't overhunt it.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 am

I have a friend in northern WI (Forest County) who put the plastic kiddie pool on his property and has outstanding early season success with it. I can not remember him hunting over it near the rut 'cause he always has tagged a buck by mid-Oct.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 am

Interesting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 am

I like a permanent water hole that holds water without scent contaminating refills better than a kiddy pool. I think the big thing is with just 5 acres you don't camp out over it.
gutone4me
500 Club

Unread postby gutone4me » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 am

I like the kiddie pool idea. We dug this one in and filled it on 7/22 and on 7/25 a couple good bucks were there. never had to refill it as luck would have it we got enough rain still turned into a killer set up. If the wind is right and you can get in and out I wouldn't worry about hunting it too often. The first week of season and the pre-rut/rut can be a real gold mine to hunt water. The licking branch in the background gets a lot of play also.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 am

i would focus more on the perfect stand(s) than improving habitat but everthing is so relative to your surroundings.... just no that effort without fruit can lead to frustration fast
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:31 pm

I start my water holes with kiddy pool for a year or two, then if the spot is right I put a permanent in. Glad I did too because picking the exact right spot right off the bat is rare IMO, in my experience anyway, usually its been a short move but there is fine tuning for sure.
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:40 pm

I just dug in a 17 gallon water tub in a spot that doesnt have water. I am going to put a camera on it soon to see how the deer are working it.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 pm

How are those bucks looking you got there....button bucks dont require much water
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Mike wrote:I start my water holes with kiddy pool for a year or two, then if the spot is right I put a permanent in. Glad I did too because picking the exact right spot right off the bat is rare IMO, in my experience anyway, usually its been a short move but there is fine tuning for sure.

Very good point Mike! I have gotten pretty good at picking out the right spots. But I have noticed most of the properties I visit that have put water holes in themselves, the holes tend to be in the right vicinity, but wrong spot. It might seem like a pain putting in a water hole, but moving one 50 yards is even worse. If you look at the water hole I shoot the 14 pointer on in the Hill country DVD, I don't think it would work if you moved its location more than 50 yards in any direction.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

If the wind is right and you can get in and out I wouldn't worry about hunting it too often.

I have seen a night and day difference in water holes being over hunted vs. lightly hunted. The biggest difference is in mature buck activity. Its no different than sitting over a pile of bait or anywhere else, if you get your ground scent out there, the deer know you where there.
In my opinion, timing and patience kills more big bucks than agressivly hunting every day.
It would be really easy to over pressure a 5 acre property.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”