no water on land?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: no water on land?

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 pm

dan wrote:
If the wind is right and you can get in and out I wouldn't worry about hunting it too often.

I have seen a night and day difference in water holes being over hunted vs. lightly hunted. The biggest difference is in mature buck activity. Its no different than sitting over a pile of bait or anywhere else, if you get your ground scent out there, the deer know you where there.
In my opinion, timing and patience kills more big bucks than agressivly hunting every day.
It would be really easy to over pressure a 5 acre property.

i agree 100%
dan

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
k9callicoat

Unread postby k9callicoat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 pm

The bucks on my land are 3 two year old 8 pt. and a couple of 10 pt maybe 4yrs biggest one is 130-140 last year I hunted the property the last 2 weeks of the season... the 130-140 only came with in 70 yards and then back tracked a couple doe's back the way he came. disappointing :angry-screaming:
joel k9
k9callicoat

Unread postby k9callicoat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 pm

oh and another note about over pressuring the property. My grandpa brushhogs the property every couple of months so I think are used to human scent, and there are 2 or 3 house around the property. I still get my deer on camera :) so maybe that is in my advantage
joel k9
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 am

dan wrote:It would be really easy to over pressure a 5 acre property.

I mentioned this to someone on another forum recently and the armchair professionals piled in to tell me that I didnt know what I was talking about. Just had a chuckle and figured... carry on. Guy wanted to hang a stand in 5 acres for every possible wind direction. That told me he planned on hunting there almost every day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”