Hunting via a boat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Hunting via a boat?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok, so most of you have seen Spy uses an inflatable boat sometimes. Who else uses a boat? Who has spots they wish they had a boat? Lets here some of your uses for a boat and what kind of boat. I really like the idea, but dang Im having a hard time finding a place to use one. :?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Re: Hunting via a boat?

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I have about a half dozen places I access via canoe, plenty of lakes and rivers in MN so I try and make the most of them. Some of the better boat access spots I have are land locked public land and water is your only access, hop across a river or paddle across a lake and you generally have the place to yourself. Other hunters are in the area that have access from the surrounding private land but they are generally rifle hunters so the pressure is far less than you would see on your standard public land. A few other spots I have to paddle down or up stream a half mile or mile. Plenty of other locations I have yet to scout that hold a lot of potential.

It is a little pain in the but to haul a canoe on a hunt, even more of a pain paddling upstream in the dark a half mile but one of these days it's going to pay off. In a given year I probably use the canoe on 6 to 8 hunts. I have had two encounters with nice bucks using water access so that keeps me motivated each year, can't wait to post a pic with my buck loaded up in the canoe.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:46 pm

I would like to take one of those small yacht trips up a river in Alaska and shoot me a Grizzzz. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 pm

I used to use a row boat with a small engine and oars to navigate swamps by me. Sold it last year. Going to start using a kayak this year.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I got a canoe I use a bit to cross the lake, their is a 623 acre county park we can now archery hunt, your welcome to come try it if you want Ken. I'm about 40 min from Howell. Used that canoe about 5 miles down the road from Howell about 10 years ago to cross a little river turkey hunting with my wife.

Some more local spots I bet you could use a boat, Brighton Rec areas, Proud Lake State Rec Area, outside Wixom, Highland Rec Area I go across Alderman Lake, Seven Lakes State Park in Holly, Holly Rec Area. To name just a few. I am not saying I have a spot at each area where you can cross water and have much better hunting, just pointing out there are a lot of areas to take a look at if you want to use a boat locally.

Wore the rattle can paint job off it last year

Last summers paint job

this little clump of trees had ~5 or 6 deer on a early Nov day. Could not have gotten to it without the boat
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 am

I was going to buy an inflatable but decided to give myself another year. I love to bass fish too! Selling my bike next spring and using the money to buy an aluminum bass boat that will double duty as a deer boat.

I built a 14' from the boat up a few years ago. Its only downfall was no console steering. My next one will definitely have that.

Ill be on the lookout for one of these or very similar next spring.

Tracker pro 165

RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:02 am

I used to use a kayak but if I were to do it again I would def get a wider based kayak for balance or a small lightweight john boat.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:19 am

RUTIN wrote:I used to use a kayak but if I were to do it again I would def get a wider based kayak for balance or a small lightweight john boat.

I like my small one cause I have to port a lot and go down some tight canals.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:33 am

dan wrote:
RUTIN wrote:I used to use a kayak but if I were to do it again I would def get a wider based kayak for balance or a small lightweight john boat.

Dan any pics of you loaded up with your gear in that thing? I saw a short clip of you in one I think in the begining of marsh bucks, but it doesnt show your stand/bow/etc that I recall.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 am

kenn1320 wrote:
dan wrote:

Dan any pics of you loaded up with your gear in that thing? I saw a short clip of you in one I think in the begining of marsh bucks, but it doesnt show your stand/bow/etc that I recall.

I just bought my 1st one ( that I actually own ) I am going to have the Fab shop at work build me a rack for my bow and stand, I will post pic's when done. If you don't have a fabrication shop handy, you could build something out of plywood...
By the way, not sure if the sale is still on, but I was at fleet farm two days ago and they were selling kayaks like mine for $179.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:50 am

Not sure they build a kayak big enough for me. lol

Also with a kayak, dont you have to plan on getting a little wet getting in/out of the thing?
Last edited by kenn1320 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:51 am

I used a boat for many years. The biggest drawback was the scent you collect on yourself from a boat. The inside of the boat is a cesspool of scent and has no where to go. I found ground scent was at its maximums worst using a boat. If you walk a half mile to your stand your boots have a chance to scuff off some scent. If you hop out of a boat it's all spew and heavy right out of the boat. I always tried to get out of the boat and go in 20 yards and hunt. But I'll tell you emphatically, the bucks that did get behind me got on that ground scent and were gone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 am

I've said it before. There's nothing better than a zodiak!!! It's portable, rowable, can take a motor too, mine can hold 1000lbs!, can haul ALL your gear, can haul your deer out, is VERY stable, material is quiet, what more can I say???

I've been in all kinds of other boats....Kayaks are OK, but what can they hold? And they're not very stable. Canoes too. Tin boats are noisy. If you get a bigger boat, they're no longer portable. I think zodiaks are perfect. A couple of my friends have them now cause they saw what I was up to.

That's it, I'm not posting these pics again!! :lol: :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 am

Stanley wrote:I used a boat for many years. The biggest drawback was the scent you collect on yourself from a boat. The inside of the boat is a cesspool of scent and has no where to go. I found ground scent was at its maximums worst using a boat. If you walk a half mile to your stand your boots have a chance to scuff off some scent. If you hop out of a boat it's all spew and heavy right out of the boat. I always tried to get out of the boat and go in 20 yards and hunt. But I'll tell you emphatically, the bucks that did get behind me got on that ground scent and were gone.

Stan, I carry a complete clothes change in my zodiak. I wear hip boots and basically street clothes, and my life jacket(I have a real good one), in the boat. When I get to my spot, I do a change,(clothes and boots) and leave my "smelly" clothes with the boat.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 am

Spy, that is cool as heck. Just 2 questions. Do you haul across country and then inflate it when you get there? And if so what do you inflate it with (gas station, or travel with a pump, or...)?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”