Mock scrapes --- Attracting scent?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Mock scrapes --- Attracting scent?

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 am

Dig up the dirt well. That Itself Is an attractant as they can smell the dug up dirt. I use Buck Fever Synthetic Scents. I've had outstanding luck with this stuff. I also use a dripper. A person needs to keep the scrape area as clean as possible from human scent. I wear rubber gloves and rubber boots. I also will use a a stick to stir up the scrape and then take the stick out with me and toss It where deer won't Interfere with It.

rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm

How about making the scrape like everyone's mentioned, then tying on a licking branch transported from somewhere else you know is being used? Heard of guys just using the licking branch with success.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Interesting plot layout Dan. Im sure there are several good areas on that land. Without knowing much about the land, I would gravitate towards the 2 inside corners on the left and that group of trees in the one bean plot might have mock scrap potential. When the corn gets waist high, you can take a lawn roller or even a mower and strategically cut a path from the woods to the beans that you would like to see the deer use. Where those trails are cut would also be a good place to locate the camera.

I can cover the inside corners without an attractant or all the work. I need to cover the north end of that plot to know what time at night, and what direction of travel, and on what winds, moon, etc, the deer are coming thru so I can determine where the land owner should hunt them.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:43 pm

dan wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Interesting plot layout Dan. Im sure there are several good areas on that land. Without knowing much about the land, I would gravitate towards the 2 inside corners on the left and that group of trees in the one bean plot might have mock scrap potential. When the corn gets waist high, you can take a lawn roller or even a mower and strategically cut a path from the woods to the beans that you would like to see the deer use. Where those trails are cut would also be a good place to locate the camera.

I can cover the inside corners without an attractant or all the work. I need to cover the north end of that plot to know what time at night, and what direction of travel, and
on what winds, moon, etc, the deer are coming thru so I can determine where the land owner should hunt them.

The simple solution would be to only make it convenient for deer to enter where your red dot is by hinge cutting or dropping trees on both sides of it and then getting a brush hog and clearing a narrow path from the mowed field edge back into the timber. Then any deer that enters on the North will likely walk where you want them 2. If you drop a tree or two say on the East side of said dot that will also prevent them from getting down wind on a West or NorthWest wind. Plus by opening up the canopy near the
North edge it will get thick with under brush = browse and possibly make bucks feel more comfortable cruising East/West on that North edge. With late season food souces it will also promote bedding closer to that edge with Southern sun exposure = sheds. I can tell this guy likes things to look
manicured... But what is his goal? A pretty chunk of land or a slob buck hang over his mantel! Haha
Last edited by Bucky on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:20 pm

i have had good luck with buck fever sythentic and mock scraps for taking inventory i would post pics but their on my other computer which wont charge right now.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:47 pm

heres a few pics i found i guess i had saved some on a jump drive.
another
another
another
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 pm

I wasnt going to tell you guys this till later but I will be attempting to formulate my own scent for a scrape in the coming year. I have all the products to make it. What I intend to make will be all gland based and as far as I know isnt available on the market. I plan to select a few members to test it for free when its complete.

Anyhow. I am going to pull the cams for the scrape study soon and see if I have any results. The day I made those scrapes I also made another scrape in the area away from the test area that I hunt.

Human urine has proven to be pretty freaking awesome. The key is that it breaks down into ammonia which is why I added strait ammonia from the store into my test.

Whats really weird is that often you hear how if you have a bottled scent sit too long that its no good. I suspect this could only possibly happen with urine based scents that have no preservative in them. The other thing is that with gland based scents they seem to get better with age, like booze. Trappers will often seek out scents that have been sitting in someones basement for twenty years to use. With that said, theres a lot to be said for only using certain amounts of gland based scents. Interdigital for example can be overdone. Deer often use this scent we believe to signify danger also, not just to track each other. Its not natural for you to dump this scent into a scrape. At most you should use about four drops.

I buy bottles used for lure making and then the dropper lids for them for any scent that I use. Its way too easy to go overboard with gland scents.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 am

Not for nothing, but I've had luck starting a mock scrape peeing in it. I've tried other kits, etc. and had no real difference in results. Haven't tried a bare dirt comparison...

I was rather amazed at how well it worked. First time I tried it in an existing scrape, I had two different mature bucks visit within the evening and double the scrape size overnight (had a cam on it). I also have luck with the dirt swap technique Dan mentioned.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am

Initially dogs dont pee on hydrants because they smell urine there........ ;)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am

jlh42581 wrote:I wasnt going to tell you guys this till later but I will be attempting to formulate my own scent for a scrape in the coming year. I have all the products to make it. What I intend to make will be all gland based and as far as I know isnt available on the market. I plan to select a few members to test it for free when its complete.

Anyhow. I am going to pull the cams for the scrape study soon and see if I have any results. The day I made those scrapes I also made another scrape in the area away from the test area that I hunt.

Human urine has proven to be pretty freaking awesome. The key is that it breaks down into ammonia which is why I added strait ammonia from the store into my test.

Whats really weird is that often you hear how if you have a bottled scent sit too long that its no good. I suspect this could only possibly happen with urine based scents that have no preservative in them. The other thing is that with gland based scents they seem to get better with age, like booze. Trappers will often seek out scents that have been sitting in someones basement for twenty years to use. With that said, theres a lot to be said for only using certain amounts of gland based scents. Interdigital for example can be overdone. Deer often use this scent we believe to signify danger also, not just to track each other. Its not natural for you to dump this scent into a scrape. At most you should use about four drops.

I buy bottles used for lure making and then the dropper lids for them for any scent that I use. Its way too easy to go overboard with gland scents.

Interesting about the gland lure and trapping. James Valley makes their deer attractant scents using this method. Ive tried thier products with no success. The synthetic by hawgs limited is the same product several others called buck fever synthetics, and has worked for me.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

This stuff isnt going to be easy to make. Its going to require a lot of NASTY work and will take about a year to cook before it can be used. It will be made from real whitetail glands harvested in the wild.

Ive got every item I need except the fresh glands. Ill be working on that this fall.

Maybe Ill call it... Pixie Dust, lol

it might not work, but I expect that it should

FYI if anyone is interested I found a place to buy whitetail urine by the pint for $10
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm

kenn1320 wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:I wasnt going to tell you guys this till later but I will be attempting to formulate my own scent for a scrape in the coming year. I have all the products to make it. What I intend to make will be all gland based and as far as I know isnt available on the market. I plan to select a few members to test it for free when its complete.

Interesting about the gland lure and trapping. James Valley makes their deer attractant scents using this method. Ive tried thier products with no success. The synthetic by hawgs limited is the same product several others called buck fever synthetics, and has worked for me.
Yep. One good thing about synthetic scents Is that they will not brake down like the real doe and buck pee a person buys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”