One of THOSE guys...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

One of THOSE guys...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:38 pm

So - I've heard the successful buck hunting guys say neighbors can't believe that buck was shot behind our house (they tout "I never see them")...

I know there around my area - here are some trophies taken within a 10-20 mile radius, my buddy is the Beast of my area.
I'm fortunate to know this gentleman and he has helped me achieve a higher level of hunting than most in my area.
He continues to make himself available when I ask, I'm just to stuborn/proud/embarrassed in most cases to ask - hate to bother people! (You guys are different)
He literaly spends 5-6 days a week scouting/hunting, I guess time does lend to the odds, but ability and experience outrule time alone.

What's funny (or not) is he started the same way did (about 20-years ago)...
Stage 1) A few deer here and there over the years.
2) Then consistantly killing deer.
3) Mostly bucks (Spikes, 4-6 pointers and decent baskets). This is where I stop :cry:

4) Good deer, say +110-115" bucks. (I need to be here God - please hear me - HELLO!!!)
5) P&Y
6) Largest / mature deer in the area.

SOS!
He has 3-more walls that look like this but can't find the pics (this is his SMALL Wall)...

Local guy shot this 20- miles away...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: One of THOSE guys...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 pm

That's an excellent break down of his hunting transition to where he finds himself today, Ed. He is obviously very successful.

Ed: He literaly spends 5-6 days a week scouting/hunting, I guess time does lend to the odds, but ability and experience outrule time alone.

Most of the great hunters I've met share the background of incredible amounts of scouting and hunting... I may suggest that the countless hours in the woods have contributed, if not allowed, his ability and experience to grow.

Great post, thanks for putting it up. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:55 pm

He literaly spends 5-6 days a week scouting/hunting, I guess time does lend to the odds, but ability and experience outrule time alone.

I think most people who fail think that time spent hunting is what equals success... But, scouting time is more important. You need to spend that hunting time in the right places, at the right times.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:31 am

Very cool Ed, and your likely taking a great approach by not hounding him constantly. Im sure he gets enough of that from others and I suspect it would turn him off. That one buck is WOW! Of course you know 20 miles, or even 10 miles can be night and day different hunting/deer size, numbers.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:11 am

Think he is legit?

Of the very few here in NY mosts bend the rules due to such small parcels and limited access.... the most reknowned buck killer in my area (2 P&Y every yr and a bonner ever other year or so.....in a state where guys mount deer in the 90-100" range) has been arrested on multiple game violations and trespassing charges.

Anyone who has gone through the stages and scouts that much is nto only blessed, but has built methods with integrity..

How much have the two of you shared or learned form one another?
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 am

gjs4 wrote:[glow=red]Think he is legit?[/glow]

Of the very few here in NY mosts bend the rules due to such small parcels and limited access.... the most reknowned buck killer in my area (2 P&Y every yr and a bonner ever other year or so.....in a state where guys mount deer in the 90-100" range) has been arrested on multiple game violations and trespassing charges.
Anyone who has gone through the stages and scouts that much is nto only blessed, but has built methods with integrity..

As much as anyone else is here!
Dan and others mentioned getting heckled because their successful, so your statement should question everyone elses too...
Unless you personaly know all these great hunters here - they, along with my friend are innocent - correct?

NH land is open season anywhere it's not posted - barring some other rules like 300 feet from dwellings or 15' from a road and usual town/city ordanances, etc. After all We are the "live free or die state"

Yes - he tells me of unique ways of getting into properties behind million dollar homes, dragging his dead deer out at night so neighbors don't see and post land, etc.
Very creative indeed but legal!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:08 am

gjs4 wrote:Think he is legit?

I think saying "most" bend the rules is a poor statement... I have been around a lot of big buck killers, and most of them get harassed by the law, and accused by people who don't do the work involved with being successful. I know several people who were convicted of either something they did not do, or had a petty mistake worded to sound like they committed murder...
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 am

Sounds like your friend has made the best of his hunting area and learned the right tactics to fulfill his needs now! Congrats to him.... keep learning from him and being a sponge! I do everyday!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 am

gjs4 wrote:Think he is legit?

The guy is legit as far as we all know. Questioning his morals should be left to a higher power than those of us that don't know. Ed is as straight of an arrow as you will ever find. If Ed says the guy is legit it's good enough for me. Don't get me wrong your input is greatly appreciated, but unwarranted suspicion is not what the Beast site is about.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 am

[quote="Edcyclopedia"]So - I've heard the successful buck hunting guys say neighbors can't believe that buck was shot behind our house (they tout "I never see them")...

I know there around my area - here are some trophies taken within a 10-20 mile radius, my buddy is the Beast of my area.
I'm fortunate to know this gentleman and he has helped me achieve a higher level of hunting than most in my area.
He continues to make himself available when I ask, I'm just to stuborn/proud/embarrassed in most cases to ask - hate to bother people! (You guys are different)

What's funny (or not) is he started the same way did (about 20-years ago)...
Stage 1) A few deer here and there over the years.
2) Then consistantly killing deer.
3) Mostly bucks (Spikes, 4-6 pointers and decent baskets). This is where I stop :cry:

4) Good deer, say +110-115" bucks. (I need to be here God - please hear me - HELLO!!!)
5) P&Y
6) Largest / mature deer in the area.

SOS!
He has 3-more walls that look like this but can't find the pics (this is his SMALL Wall)...

Thanks for sharing Ed. I think it kind of points out that some guys just flat can do it. Kind of like those braineacks in school straights As and didn't wear out the book pages.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 am

This gentleman has told me many stories of heartburn about the one that got away - HE IS Legit...
I've known him and his 4-brothers for close to 20-years (a very well known family)!
I used to give him and 1-brother Racquetball lessons and of coarse a schillacking on the court!
(I would switch hands to play against them once in awhile so I would have a competitve game :mrgreen: ) LOL

Took him awhile to achieve this standard (20+ years) which I strive for, as mentioned.
He is 15-years my senior and it really started clicking for him 15-years ago, maybe I can get a little more intimate with my woods...
Sometimes that doesn't seem possible to me, but you can turn over new leaves all the time along with spots just wearing out and/or pressured.
Certainly broaden my horizons...
[glow=red]Learn - improvise - hunt hard![/glow]
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:38 am

Found the other walls...
Forgot to mention his style is mostly rut, end of Oct - beginning of Dec.

The plaque in the back ground is for the heaviest deer in MASS (he won it twice and came in 2nd twice)

He got these two 3 1/2 days apart... And his brother got the twin to the smaller one, same 2-mile swamp...
This is actually a picture of his picture (you can see the tape and card board)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 am

Dandies! He certainly knows how to put the big ones down. Does he ever travel to hunt the midwest?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Dandies! He certainly knows how to put the big ones down. Does he ever travel to hunt the midwest?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

All archery - All Southern NH and Northeastern Mass.
He goes on a "meat" hunt to PA beginning of Oct
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 am

Sweet!

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”