Jackson Marsh in Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Jackson Marsh in Wisconsin

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 am

BigHunt wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:If you are uncertain/not confident on your sets, I would get back out scouting. It is kind of miserable this time of year with the mosquitoes and flies, but you still have time to find good spots to hunt.

Bring a head net :D

yes a head net is needed ...i spot checked an area the other day and i was just about taking away by our state bird the skitter !!! :lol:

That's all part of the fun when hunting wet marshes. It only gets worse until mid-October. Some years are much worse than others but skeeters are always a factor that keep many other hunters away till later in the season. Usually takes a few hard freezes to get rid of the bulk of them. If you can tough it out early season, especially the first few weeks, the rewards can be huge. Thermacell works great on stand but worthless while walking to and from your stand site.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:48 am

Dewey wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:If you are uncertain/not confident on your sets, I would get back out scouting. It is kind of miserable this time of year with the mosquitoes and flies, but you still have time to find good spots to hunt.

Bring a head net :D

yes a head net is needed ...i spot checked an area the other day and i was just about taking away by our state bird the skitter !!! :lol:

That's all part of the fun when hunting wet marshes. It only gets worse until mid-October. Some years are much worse than others but skeeters are always a factor that keep many other hunters away till later in the season. Usually takes a few hard freezes to get rid of the bulk of them. If you can tough it out early season, especially the first few weeks, the rewards can be huge. Thermacell works great on stand but worthless while walking to and from your stand site.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

im not worried about it.....Ive got two thermacells... ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
glubke
Facebook: none

Unread postby glubke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 am

dan wrote:Glubke,
There are definitely patterns on where the deer, especially the mature bucks, bed and travel during daylight. The main issue with the swamp your looking at is its features are so subtle, its hard to recognize. It can take years to master a swamp like that one. If there is an easier type of terrain around for you to hunt, it might be a better choice.
To master that swamp, your going to need to spend a lot of time out there finding the over looked spots, the preferred bedding areas etc. I would move around a lot during hunting season trying different areas, in the off season I would walk and scout as much of the swamp as possible. Try to find areas of transition. Such as scout the entire outer edge of the swamp. You may find some spots along the road that do not get hunted because everybody parks at a parking spot and goes out and no one follows the road edge, the outer edge of the swamp will also be a good transition for bedding, any portion of it that does not receive pressure, should have good deer bedding and thus daylight activity.
When you look for transitions within the swamp, look for tree type changes, such as height or age of trees (or brush) or grass/cattails meet timber, or cedar meets hardwood, etc. A lso look for slight elevations in ground height...
Bedding in a swamp will be best at two elevation locations, the highest spots, and the lowest. By lowest, they are just above water level. They will bed in spots flooded with water, but not actually in the water, they find humps of ground sticking out to lay on.

Very good information. I guess I just need to give it time and some hard scouting and I will get on the deer. It is just frustrating with marsh. I I know where they are moving and when I come back they switch there movement or go nocturnal. Which I have noticed that after about the fist two weeks of bow hunting the deer start smelling and seeing hunters and then they go to moving after dark.
But I will put all your tactics that you told on the video and put them to practice.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Very good information. I guess I just need to give it time and some hard scouting and I will get on the deer. [glow=red]It is just frustrating with marsh.[/glow] I I know where they are moving and when I come back they switch there movement or go nocturnal. Which I have noticed that after about the fist two weeks of bow hunting the deer start smelling and seeing hunters and then they go to moving after dark.
But I will put all your tactics that you told on the video and put them to practice.

Actually, marsh is easy... Jackson marsh is more swamp than marsh.
glubke

Unread postby glubke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm

dan wrote:
Very good information. I guess I just need to give it time and some hard scouting and I will get on the deer. [glow=red]It is just frustrating with marsh.[/glow] I I know where they are moving and when I come back they switch there movement or go nocturnal. Which I have noticed that after aboKut the fist two weeks of bow hunting the deer start smelling and seeing hunters and then they go to moving after dark.

Actually, marsh is easy... Jackson marsh is more swamp than marsh.

No kidding. Great for hunting ducks but very hard for deer. My spot I have to walk in at least a mile and it is a very hard walk. That is why I am selective on what deer I shoot because dragging it out is going to be very very difficult.
Is there any other public lands that you feel might be a little easier on me. I was thinking about the northern kettle but i would really have to study that area. I also see the one spot out off of county Q in Germantown but I hear that land I very heavily pressured with hunters.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Cattail marsh is easier to scout/find the deer beds in. It is not physically easy to access (at least the good spots). If you find an easy access area it will more than likely be hunted heavily.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 am

No kidding. Great for hunting ducks but very hard for deer. My spot I have to walk in at least a mile and it is a very hard walk. That is why I am selective on what deer I shoot because dragging it out is going to be very very difficult.
Is there any other public lands that you feel might be a little easier on me. I was thinking about the northern kettle but i would really have to study that area. I also see the one spot out off of county Q in Germantown but I hear that land I very heavily pressured with hunters.

I would suggest buying an "all outdoors" Southern Wisconsin atlas. They are available at www.scmaps.com or at Gander mountains... I use one in my area and it shows every public spot to hunt in S. Wisconsin.
glubke

Unread postby glubke » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

dan wrote:

I would suggest buying an "all outdoors" Southern Wisconsin atlas. They are available at http://www.scmaps.com or at Gander mountains... I use one in my area and it shows every public spot to hunt in S. Wisconsin.

Sounds good. Thanks

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 am

GRFox wrote:Watch Dans video again, then watch it again and then one more time. Take notes, have your computer open with topo and ariel mapos of Jackson Marsh open on your computer and pause the video as Dan goes over where to locate bedding. Find similar points in you r public marsh. Write them all down, print a map and mark that up, then get out there as soon as possible and find the bds and formulate a plan.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

^^This^^. You dont get real info like this on the other sites. Glad you found us.
glubke

Unread postby glubke » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 pm

cwoods wrote:
GRFox wrote:Watch Dans video again, then watch it again and then one more time. Take notes, have your computer open with topo and ariel mapos of Jackson Marsh open on your computer and pause the video as Dan goes over where to locate bedding. Find similar points in you r public marsh. Write them all down, print a map and mark that up, then get out there as soon as possible and find the bds and formulate a plan.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

^^This^^. You dont get real info like this on the other sites. Glad you found us.

I have been a member of Archery Talk website for a long time. Great information but they do not go into detail like this site. Plus, this site talks a lot more about public hunting grounds and tactics for it. That is the info I need.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”