Anyone do Twin Cities Metro Hunts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Anyone do Twin Cities Metro Hunts?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:49 am

Dingus wrote:Might jus cu at the orientation meeting then. I will tape a milkweed pod to my forehead so u know who I am! :))

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hahaha! Yea probably will see you there. Hopefully only 6 of the 10 primaries show up on time and we can both get in. I honestly don't even know where the hunt is located yet. Might have to do some digging, bike the trails, study aerials, and have a plan so that I could choose a spot regardless of which section I would get thrown into.

Mike, I here you on the restrictions. That's the only reason I've never applied before despite living here for years. So I only applied to hunts that were outside peak chasing time so I could still hunt my public land during prime time. Worst case I spend two weekends not seeing anything.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tcjohnsonjacks

Unread postby tcjohnsonjacks » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:00 am

So if you shoot a buck on one of the special hunts does do you tag it with your regular archery tag or do you get a special tag just for the hunt area, thus being able to shoot 2 bucks in a year?

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:17 am

tcjohnsonjacks wrote:So if you shoot a buck on one of the special hunts does do you tag it with your regular archery tag or do you get a special tag just for the hunt area, thus being able to shoot 2 bucks in a year?

Pretty sure it's just your normal tag. So one thing I'm curious about... I think you have to show that you have a tag at orientation. So if your buck tag is already filled and you just have surplus doe tags, will they let you hunt? I don't know.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:37 am

Bucky wrote:If I were you I would look into the Northern MN hunt in Duluth City Limits... I know guys that hunt it and they shoot slobs! :shhh:

I lived there 8 years and some of the biggest bucks I ever saw were in Duluth city limits.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:19 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Bucky wrote:If I were you I would look into the Northern MN hunt in Duluth City Limits... I know guys that hunt it and they shoot slobs! :shhh:

I lived there 8 years and some of the biggest bucks I ever saw were in Duluth city limits.

From what I understand, it's not what it used to be. There are still big ones around, but many more hunters. I've done the metro hunts in some of the surrounding small cities. They publish the hunter numbers, and I remember them rising significantly in the few years that I did it. The first year, I had opportunities at a couple 120+ bucks on a four day hunt. Each of my hunting buddies also shot p&y that trip. Every year we did it afterwards, it seemed to get worse and worse, with fewer sightings of mature deer despite jumping around several different properties.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:21 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

From what I understand, it's not what it used to be. There are still big ones around, but many more hunters. I've done the metro hunts in some of the surrounding small cities. They publish the hunter numbers, and I remember them rising significantly in the few years that I did it. The first year, I had opportunities at a couple 120+ bucks on a four day hunt. Each of my hunting buddies also shot p&y that trip. Every year we did it afterwards, it seemed to get worse and worse, with fewer sightings of mature deer despite jumping around several different properties.

This was the trend I observed with the Dane County Park hunts when I was at UW.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

Definitely not what it used to be, but there's still better trophy potential than big woods, though I'll never go thru the hoops, not worth it to me

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:39 am

My buddy works part time at Gander Mountain in Woodbury to fund his hunting/gun addictions;) One of the job duties he has in the archery dept. is to give people the proficiency test for this hunt. He says a LOT of people fail it initially due to nerves or poor equipment. It's not that tough of a test, I actually wish WI would require a test like this for a regular archery tag.
Bdog

Unread postby Bdog » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 am

olivertractor wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

Definitely not what it used to be, but there's still better trophy potential than big woods, though I'll never go thru the hoops, not worth it to me

Definitely not what it used to be. I hunted it from 2005 to 2012. Was a blast while it lasted. We were our own worst enemies int his case. We did what the city wanted and killed all the deer haha. Trting to shoot a doe around duluth is 10 times more challenging than a buck. If only we could have controlled ourselves we wouldve had some of the greatest trophy whitetail hunting in the country for years to come. The first 5 years of the hunt most guys wouldnt bat an eye at a 130 class buck. Now every 3 yr old gets an arrow. Was a great experience though!
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:My buddy works part time at Gander Mountain in Woodbury to fund his hunting/gun addictions;) One of the job duties he has in the archery dept. is to give people the proficiency test for this hunt. He says a LOT of people fail it initially due to nerves or poor equipment. It's not that tough of a test, I actually wish WI would require a test like this for a regular archery tag.

I actually failed the first time. I only have 3 arrows left for my compound. The guy giving me the test said "You have to shoot 5 consecutive arrows, not 3 then 2. Sorry, MBRB rules". So I was like "Well do you have 2 more arrows I can use?" He dug out two of the same spine and similar length from the barrel. I took a couple warm up shots with them, and they seemed to fly okay. Then when I took the test, the first 4 arrows were in a quarter sized group. The last one, I was pretty nervous with, seeing as I wasn't used to focusing for more than 3 shots at a time, and it wasn't my arrow. Pulled the last shot wide and thought "this is crap, I never shoot 5 times at a deer and I'm never that nervous shooting at a deer".

Went in the next day... different guy. He said 5 consecutive arrows with 3+2 was fine as long as he witnessed all the shots so I could use my own arrows. Passed with flying colors. When I first started shooting traditional, experienced guys told me "Quit worrying about groups. The first arrow is all that matters, especially when shooting instinctively". I'm not sure how one would set up a proficiency test to better simulate hunting, other than fewer arrows and a smaller circle. But then you might get some horrible shot who comes in every day to attempt his test until he gets lucky with a couple good arrows. I know a guy with plenty of big bucks on his wall who did the Duluth hunt for years. To my knowledge, he never missed or wounded a deer. But during the proficiency test, he'd always get nervous and fail the first few times. And there are good target archers who never practice from a stand and get buck fever.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:40 am

Arrowbender wrote:Congrats on the Deer!

So..... 1st impression of the metro hunt?

I have hunted the tri-county park hunt up at Crow-Hassan several times and enjoyed it more than the Camp Ripley experience; although the trophy potential is very biased up north. (C-H hunt 4 or 5 times, Ripley 6 or 7 times)

It has been announced that the County park hunts are going to be ran by the Metro area Bowhunter club (forget the acronym?) and it sounds very much micro managed to me.

Can you expand on your 1st experience and how you plan to go forward.

It sounds like you had a great day of action, and that is always fun.

How was the coordinator, team members etc..?

Feel free to PM if your reply needs to get colorful!

Thank You

So based on previous discussions with people about the hunts, I went into it with an open mind. I told myself "Do it their way, don't think you know how to hunt it better than a coordinator who's seen how deer move there for years, and don't get frustrated over things you can't control. Worst case I don't see anything, which is a likely possibility if I am hunting public in the middle of October anyway."

My coordinator was a really nice, down to earth guy. He was helpful in telling us what to expect, and followed all the rules, but didn't try to micro manage us too much. Had the type of personality that you could just sit and chat deer hunting for hours. I can definitely see how having a bad coordinator would make for a worse overall experience.

Basically, when you're drawn, you go to an orientation meeting for a particular city. There you sit through a long and somewhat boring presentation about all the rules, and watch a shot placement DVD. Then you break into small groups - your specific group and coordinator. They pull out an aerial map subdivided with areas. They go down the list, and each person gets to choose an area. The day before the hunt, everyone meets to hang stands. The coordinator was helpful in trying to give guys specific areas or even trees based on past years. I was nervous about scenting up the area, but I later found out the deer have a very high tolerance for human scent.

Each morning, everyone meets, signs in, and then heads out to the woods. They want you to either hunt all day or at least sit for 2-3 hours so everyone gets a quiet, undisturbed chance for movement. When you leave, be it mid morning or end of the day, you need to sign out, write down number of deer seen, shots taken, deer hit, deer recovered, etc. In addition, you have to text the coordinator each time you take a shot. They have penalties for unrecovered deer, and people are packed in so close it would be really hard to get away with anything. When you kill one, the coordinator came and offered assistance dragging, and they also need to make sure you took a reasonable, high percentage shot. This is where I imagine some coordinators are stricter than others as far as "congrats, nice shot" or "you shot that deer at 22 yards, that's too far" etc.

There is a lot of luck involved. You can pick a tree within your area, and move it to better adjust to movement, but when deer move, they are often seen by more than one hunter. The guys around me all saw the same circuit of bucks making their rounds throughout the day. There's a good chance someone could kill a deer that would have eventually made it past your stand. It's one of those things that you can't get frustrated over, and surely depends a lot on terrain and hunter density. One other thing is that since you're all in a group, you can party hunt. So if one guy bought a bazillion bonus antlerless tags, they can be shared.

Overall I liked the experience the first weekend. Ours was antlerless only, with the mid-November hunt being either sex, but some of the hunts are either sex both weekends. At the very least, it's an opportunity to put some meat in the freezer outside of the rut without burning bridges at some of your other spots.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:48 am

Thank You for the response!

Sounds like it was fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'll have to mull it over some more. It doesn't sound too much different than what I'm used to, from the other sanctioned hunts i've been in on.

Thanks Again for the answering!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”