anyone kill 150" from a ladderstand ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: anyone kill 150" from a ladderstand ?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:50 am

dan wrote:Bucks don't care what kind of stand it is... The problems with ladder stands are the same problems with lock on type treestands. People tend to over hunt the easy spots... And deer catch on quick. Especially mature bucks. Another issue is that people hunt them on the wrong wind cause they are already up. Mobile gear will put you in the right tree based on the exact wind, and cover on the day you hunt.

This could the biggest reason some are not successful.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 am

Very true dan!

I have not killed any over that size form ladder stands, but do not use them very often. My father however has killed some from a ladder stand, 2 over 8years old and dream-haunting bucks! ONe gross scored 207 typical, both with the bow. But dan's point is important to note!
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

Before my property access downsizing, I ran 30 ladderstands.

Some were hunted 1-2 times a season...others were hunted zero. Much depended on crop rotation, work, and proper wind/hunting considerations. Some of the ones that are not hunted every year are hedge row sets...when the corn was up, deer would funnel along side the hedge row and corn. In green field years...that stand didn't get the daytime activity. I had one stand I could count on hunting 4-5 times, but that was the only set like that and it was unique with its ability to give me the picture-perfect entry/exit and wind favorability.

I've taken some decent deer for the area out of ladderstands.

I don't the right way to ask it is 150" or larger...but more along the lines of maturity or top-end bucks for a given area.

I sure could have just used my mobile setup, but as stated, time savings was a huge deal for me since most of my sets were after work or before it during weekdays. Plus, I got most of them for $30-40 each on clearance and built up the army over the years.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Here is a picture of the buck that I referred to in my previous post, after it was killed. We had sheds from the previous two years. Just thought I post a kill pic, didn't have it the first for the first post, and just want to prove that he actually killed it. So yes it is possible to kill a buck over 150" out of a ladderstand.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:22 pm

dan wrote:Bucks don't care what kind of stand it is... The problems with ladder stands are the same problems with lock on type treestands. People tend to over hunt the easy spots... And deer catch on quick. Especially mature bucks. Another issue is that people hunt them on the wrong wind cause they are already up. Mobile gear will put you in the right tree based on the exact wind, and cover on the day you hunt.

I agree with Dan, its real easy to go to a stand that is already up knowing you have a lot less work ahead of you when you get there. I am guilty of that myself.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 am

Killed one- no. missed two and seen many.

any concealed sand that is not overhunted will do the trick imo....i have one ladder that is 6 ft high and supported by a skinny tree....has my torso just above the brush...it is all that would work and the first time i sat it i saw a giant ...bet 90 out of a hundred hunters would think it is something a kid setup to play in or a guy who is afraid of heights and knows nothing....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 am

Lets not forget the noise factor... Some are much better than others, but they can be pretty creaky.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 am

Theres a ladder stand on one of the properties I hunt. Lets just say if I wanted to hunt that area, I would rather bring in my assault and sticks because thats how loud those things can be. All it takes is onle creek and it could be over before it started.

I just dont want thos kinds of head games.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”