Ever fall out of the tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike.E

Ever fall out of the tree?

Unread postby Mike.E » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Just wondering if anyone has hurt themselves falling out of the tree, had their climber slip down the tree on them or just get injured when in hindsight you probably deserved it!

Personally i haven't had any problems, yet, knock on wood! But do not use a safety harness yet while hunting. I think i might have to soon anyways, i'm not as bouncy as i used to be!

Dewey

Re: Ever fall out of the tree?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Here is a thread and poll I started last year. Pretty shocking how many here have had accidents! :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8120

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

I am very lucky (knock on wood) I have had 3 crazy things happen while using a stand. The only good thing I was young and got right back in the stand.

The first: I was in a stand that was just some 2"x4" and 2"x6" and one board stuck out a little farther from the rest. Some bucks were feeding in a field and I couldnt see them that good. So I kept creeping out a little more and a little more to see better. As I got near the end of the board I could see the bucks pretty good. Then I herd the nails letting go but it was to late and down I went. It was not very high and I just got right back up in the stand.

The second: I was hunting public land in PA with a climber that had the hard rubber instead of blades so it wouldnt mark up the tree. I was sitting there and it started to rain pretty good. All of a sudden that stand slid down the tree like a ride at a amusment park and stopped dead 4 feet from the ground. That was crazy and I am pretty sure I scared every animal within miles from the area.

The third I was climbing up a buddys ladder stand and just before I got to the top it slid around the tree and I was hanging on to a rung thinking how the does this happen to me!

I am older and am pretty careful now. I also never used a harness when I was younger and never go with out one any longer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Safety harness is a hassle to use but can save your season or your life even.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Stanley wrote:Safety harness is a hassle to use but can save your season or your life even.

X2!

I never hunt on a tree without a safety harness.
(More then that I win my best one here on the BEAST!!!!)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm

had a climber slide down a tree once. lucky it was only 10' off the ground.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Dewey wrote:Here is a thread and poll I started last year. Pretty shocking how many here have had accidents! :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8120

Great way to kill a post Dew... ;)
We'll have to see if we can change your status form moderator to official post killer :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a climber sled down the wet bark once.
Went home with bark rash on my knucles and face.
After my wife asked if i was OK and lecture me on being careful she laughed at me everytime she looked at mne for a week.
All she could picture was me swearing and banging my face against the tree.
Fortunately it was only about 5-6 feet...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 am

In my younger (read, stupider) days, I thought I was invincible - part monkey, part hunter. I would climb trees nonstop, using tiny branches as steps... Until one day one of those branches snapped, and down I went, about 15 feet. Thankfully it had just rained and the ground was soft, so all I had to show for it was a little scratch on my belly. But when I landed, I was in shock and it took me a few seconds to realize what just happened. And when I finally came around, I turned my head to see a huge rock about 2" from my head. Could have been a really bad deal, and it was enough to teach me a very valuable lesson. (Of course, I learned the lesson AFTER something stupid happened). I'd like to think I'm much wiser these days, using climbing sticks and rock solid stands, along with a safety harness EVERY time i'm in the tree.

Also just a reminder for everyone not only when climbing trees, but be careful cleaning out trees/shooting lanes... I took a huge chunk out of my thumb last weekend clearing shooting lanes - saw blade jumped and ripped in to my thumb... not cool, but thankfully it's healing nicely.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 am

I have never had an incident and hope I never do. I always wear a safety harness and linemens belt regardless of the noise or extra time. It isn't worth dying over to save 30 seconds or make a little less noise in my mind.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 am

My brother was hanging a stand years ago, and when he step out on it to test it the chain broke! He caught the inside of his quad on some tree pegs and had to have 22 staples. Also dislocated his shoulder when he hit the ground. Good thing someone was there to get him out of the woods because he may of bled to death!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 am

I did fall asleep once, woke when my safety harness jerked me back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:11 am

Never truely fell but had a few good scares with climbers, thats why im a LW hang on guy now. Did have a close friend get paralyzed falling out of a tree so i never hit the woods without my harness. If theres ONE thing your should not skimp on when it comes to hunting it the device that saves your life and lets you go home at night!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Dewey wrote:Here is a thread and poll I started last year. Pretty shocking how many here have had accidents! :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8120

Great way to kill a post Dew... ;)
We'll have to see if we can change your status form moderator to official post killer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Ed......just trying to be helpful. When somebody asks a question I like to direct them to past posts that include some great info or stories since many don't care to retype their original story over again. Definately not trying to kill a post. :?

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 am

A safety harness is great, but I would venture to say 75%+ of the accidents happen when one should be attached to a linemans belt.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks Dewey no tears shed hear, i read some of those posts under that topic too.

After reading the posts, it's obvious that all hunters will have their day come when they least expect it, it just depends if you're prepared to face it.

I also had 2 old memories remembered now too..

First, i had to climb a tree with my lone wolf, and about 8 feet up i had to transfer over a large branch and to get up to where i wanted to. When i was climbing down and was transferring my platform to under the large branch, i lost my balance, somehow grabbed the branch i was squatting on and landed on my feet!, but the climber landed directly on my head.

The second time was just foolish haha i climbed up a perfect tree for a sit and when i got to my spot my platform was not situated how i wanted. I didnt connect the straps to the seat, but tried shifting it with my feet and the platform slid down the tree 10+ feet below me. There i was, 15feet up sitting on my seat with my gear and bow. Luckily i had a screw in peg i was able to screw in and hang my bow up and hug the tree back down to my base.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”