MIKE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Re: MIKE

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:32 am

jlh42581 wrote:How did you plant your switchgrass do you have a grain drill? I assume you do since you plant corn.

Our planter just does corn and beans (I think we can get plates to do other stuff) currently, the switchgrass was all frost seeded by broadcasting it in late winter. It works best if the area was soybeans the year prior, but I had good luck doing it into corn as well. Atrazine and roundup in the spring keeps the weeds away good enough to get it going, then year 2 its outgrow most stuff by the end of the summer. I have some 2nd year stuff going thats already 3 feet tall right now.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 am

Some of the pics look familiar, as well as most of your strategies, every been to boot camp?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:40 am

Yes I have been there 3 times and had a visit to my property and a friends property. Also I have consulted with and toured jake ehlingers property, had a 2 day workshop with jeff sturgis and toured his lease, and attended dans scouting workshop. I'm try to get as many points of view as possible, got a few other tours in the works for the future.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 am

Mike wrote:Yes I have been there 3 times and had a visit to my property and a friends property. Also I have consulted with and toured jake ehlingers property, had a 2 day workshop with jeff sturgis and toured his lease, and attended dans scouting workshop. I'm try to get as many points of view as possible, got a few other tours in the works for the future.

Serious stuff right there - glad to hear you enjoying your deer growing :D
Wish I had some land to do the same thing...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks for sharing. Great pics and write up, looks like you guys earn your bucks
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:32 pm

One of my favorite all time threads. Thats awesome, thanks for sharing.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:10 am

Mike, I may have missed it somewhere but, where are you from?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:49 am

Awesome pictures and great job telling the story. Curious which state your in?
Thanks !

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:51 am

He is in Wisconsin... I don't think he wants to narrow it any more than that. ;)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:04 am

dan wrote:He is in Wisconsin... I don't think he wants to narrow it any more than that. ;)

That's good enough for me. I was curious what state.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bioactive

Unread postby bioactive » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 am

Mike wrote:In the woods its all about travel corridors and bedding. I don't like the deer to go where they want so I try to funnel them as much as possible in several ways. I use some snow fence in areas, and a lot of hinge cutting and trail enhancement. This combined with clearing out the trail you want them to use and spraying it with some bareground herbicide creates deer highways. All my in woods stands have multiple trails coming together and and are near bedding areas. There is a rubbing post and probably a big mock scrape (or 10) around too. If the big guy comes in I want him to stop, i'm sure alot of guys reading have had a nice one come by but just couldn't get him to stop for a shot, or in the right spot. I think it ups my odds a little, I may not see more big ones than someone else but when I see them they come in range I get a shot (in theory :) ) Stands near these bedding areas require me to get in early and sit all day. Occasionally if I don't have deer around I would quit earlier and sneak out but thats getting pretty rare lately.

Here are what my trails look like typically:
THe thicker it gets the more they use the dirt trails. I always have tracks within 24 hours of clearing these trails too.

Going in this trail I have a smaller bedding area, just some hingecutting and tying over some blue beech to create some cover, and clearing out some flat areas. They love these spots, instead of letting it be how it is I get in there and clean out the areas for deer so they can move around in it and have good spots to lay.

Mike;

Thanks for sending me this thread link. Very cool stuff.

I have to say, when I saw the first pic, I sat back in my chair because it looks so much like a spot that I have a pic of here in MI.

Here is the spot in 2010, the spring after we cut it.

And here is the same spot only 1 year later.

Here's another spot nearby. MY friend Jake took this picture in 2010.

In 2011 I went in to look for it and it took 45 minutes to find the tree.

The arrow points to where my hand was the year before.

Let there be light.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

Some great habitat work there.

I would love to do some hinging like that but my place has mostly jack pines and oaks so Im pretty much stuck with planting conifers for thickets/edge.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Awesome wall and looking forward to hearing your property/managment strategies
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm

ozzz wrote:Some great habitat work there.

I would love to do some hinging like that but my place has mostly jack pines and oaks so Im pretty much stuck with planting conifers for thickets/edge.

You can hinge cut oaks. They don't last as long as some other species, but they will often get you through until the new growth gets tall enough to pull over to make a bed. You can still make beds in jack pines if you get creative. It's not necessarily how you get to the end result, just that you get there. As long as you have a nice cubby hole of good cover with a couple ways in and out that still gives him the ability to see around him your good.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:26 am

Stanley wrote:Love the hands on deer management/manipulation tactics. Great stuff Mike thanks for sharing.

x2!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”