One of THOSE guys...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: One of THOSE guys...

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Ed, get your friend on here so we can learn from him. He sounds like a monster.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:19 am

dan wrote:
gjs4 wrote:Think he is legit?

Of the very few here in NY mosts bend the rules due to such small parcels and limited access.... the most reknowned buck killer in my area (2 P&Y every yr and a bonner ever other year or so.....in a state where guys mount deer in the 90-100" range) has been arrested on multiple game violations and trespassing charges.

Anyone who has gone through the stages and scouts that much is nto only blessed, but has built methods with integrity..

How much have the two of you shared or learned form one another?

I think saying "most" bend the rules is a poor statement... I have been around a lot of big buck killers, and most of them get harassed by the law, and accused by people who don't do the work involved with being successful. I know several people who were convicted of either something they did not do, or had a petty mistake worded to sound like they committed murder...

I think this may be one of those NY - WI differences. By no means was i trying to be insulting and can easily imagine the people/scenario you have stated. Mature deer are so fewer in numbers (here) between our states...and i obviously have a bad taste in my mouth from dealing with cheaters, including those i have seen first hand (not the rumor mill)

Ed and Stanley- I apologize and did not mean to be insulting. Think that is very cool you have met a guy of this caliber and can bounce ideas off each other. And as stated the judging on any person will come after our times

The scouting everyday statement says it all as fact.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 am

I think gjs4 clarified what he meant. Coming from the same area as he is, I understood what he was getting at.

It's getting to the point trust is earned in hunting here rather than given (innocent until proven guilty syndrome).

Shame to see it happen to a degree. Heck, I broke my own rule, letting a family friend know that I saw a few turkeys behind my house, and next thing I know...his freakin' neighbor is out there hunting my decoys. And, this neighbor of his darn right knew I was hunting that ground, yet he STILL decided it was worth the risk to move in on me. Unprofessional to say the least, especially since I know he didn't have explicit permission to be there.

Legit big buck killers are worth their weight in gold to learn from. Love being a sponge in that situation.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Pretty sad when people come to your state for a "meat hunt" when 95% of the locals think its a "meat hunt" too. This day in age, theres no way the expense associated with hunting is outweighed by what you take out of the woods in meat.

I eat deer and enjoy it but I never go out with the intention of "filling the freezer" and certainly dont mind those that do it within reason.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 pm

jlh42581 wrote:Pretty sad when people come to your state for a "meat hunt" when 95% of the locals think its a "meat hunt" too. This day in age, theres no way the expense associated with hunting is outweighed by what you take out of the woods in meat.

I eat deer and enjoy it but I never go out with the intention of "filling the freezer" and certainly dont mind those that do it within reason.

It is what started out as an annual pilgrimage for my buddy +20 years ago with his 3-brothers and a friend or two and remains the good-ole boy club...
- a man vacation of sorts...
It's helps him sustain his patience while waiting for the big boy - and he too eats lots of venison year round (it's the other red meat :D )
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 am

Certainly, there are areas of this state where they need thinned but access is really limited.

You gotta understand, most everyone here moans about how theres "no deer left" in most of the state but then they go out and fill as many tags as legally possible.

I love this one: "I only saw one deer all week, theres no deer left in the woods"... Did you shoot it? .... "Absolutely, I took the week off work to kill a deer"

I take my vacation to hunt whether I kill a deer or not. I remember the one year I hunted all of archery with no shots then went into rifle season and hunted every day that two weeks. On the last day at the last hour a doe stepped out and I had a doe tag. It was the only deer I saw in the entire two week rifle season(I dont believe in driving deer) and I put the crosshairs on her. I then thought, why? So she walked. I figured if she made it through all archery and all of rifle season she deserved to live. That spring in that same field I saw a doe with twin fawns. Might not have been her, but it might have. Im not a hypocrite. I havent hunted that farm since that day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”