Crazy pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Crazy pics

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 am

one thing that really gets to me is seeing animals suffering. it one thing to have yotes eating a living deer but seeing arrows sticking out of a deer while it walks around sucks. what kind of a hunter takes shots like that? "the head shots"

I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:20 am

whitetail007 wrote:one thing that really gets to me is seeing animals suffering. it one thing to have yotes eating a living deer but seeing arrows sticking out of a deer while it walks around sucks. what kind of a hunter takes shots like that? "the head shots"

I think its mostly not done on purpose... Everybody who shoots a lot of deer eventually hits one bad.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 am

dan wrote:
whitetail007 wrote:one thing that really gets to me is seeing animals suffering. it one thing to have yotes eating a living deer but seeing arrows sticking out of a deer while it walks around sucks. what kind of a hunter takes shots like that? "the head shots"

I think its mostly not done on purpose... Everybody who shoots a lot of deer eventually hits one bad.

i agree dan
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:40 am

ive made my share of bad shots at deer over the years but have never even thought about a straight on shot like the one with the arrow right between the eyes. my dad wasent much of a hunter yet he still knew a few things about bow hunting. i remember bringing home a deer once and he seen i had taken a quarting to shot on the deer. i thought he was going to kick my xxx, he lectured me for days on taking risky shots and injuring a deer.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Might be on purpose, or could be something like shooting at the front deer, missing, hitting the back deer really bad.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Its proably a rookie mistake, i remember my first kiss. Im pretty sure i was'nt aiming for her upper nose but thats exactly where it landed. Its just tooo much adrenaline is all.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:00 pm

my dad hit a small buck in the back of the head awhile ago. he was shooting an old slow wheeled bow with aluminum arrows and the arrow arc up into a branch and deflected and went right into the back of the head where the spine meets the head dropping it right their. the deer was looking away from him thats why he drew his bow back got so luck to hit it right in the middle of the head off a deflection. so many things could of happen differently and while its hard for me to see those pics with the arrows in the head i understand how it could happen.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 am

Thought I would chime in. Not proud of this. But when I was younger and inexperienced I was hunting on the ground a doe at about 15 yards or so had me dead to rights. I was drawn but she had me. Was holding it back for several minutes. She turned broadside to leave and I released. At the shot she turned back towards me into the shot. I hit her in the jaw which it shattered and it snapped her spine on the pass through. Was shooting muzzy 125s back when 125s were cool :) she dropped in her tracks. Was not intentional to shoot her there and I would never take that shot now but mistakes happen. Don't be to critical about those deer. We don't know the circumstance.

Matt

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 am

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:

i agree dan

I had a similar experience and to this day cant explain what happened. I had a gimme shot on a quartering away doe about 8yds from me. I shot and couldnt see where the arrow hit, but all the deer in the area scattered and this one doe ran about 10yds and started doing the crazy walk. I was like go down, go down. She stumbled a lot and I got another arrow out. She stopped broadside at 40yds and just staired back at me. I couldnt see where I hit her, so put my 30yd pin on her back and made a textbook shot. She bolted out of site. I waited and got down about 30min later and found my arrow, barely any sign on it. I tried tracking from there, nothing. I went to where I made the long shot and great blood and a short tracking job. The second shot was as described, double lung perfect. The first shot, barely caught any skin and hit that deer in the head at the base where it meets the kneck. Guys Im telling you Im above average at shooting and to this day I have no idea how I hit that deer in the head. Basically the deer got its bell rung and if not for the second shot, I would have sworn that deer survived a text book shot. They flinch, unscene twigs get in the way, string hitting clothing, etc. Dont just assume when you see a poor shot that it was intentional.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
bk123

Unread postby bk123 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 am

It happens just the way it is. It takes me days to get over wounding a deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”