Trails leading to beds.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Trails leading to beds.

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:01 pm

I have a question I have been wondering about for some time. I located a bunch of beds this past spring and most of them seem to have 2 trails leading to them. Entry and exit, by the majority of tracks that were visible. Some only have 1 obvious trail with tracks heading both ways. A couple that I found had multiple trails through the cattails leading to them. Am I correct in believing that the beds with more trails leading to them would be used on many different winds? All these beds were in marsh. Are these deer bedding in a particular spot due to wind direction or are they using the beds regardless of wind direction. I am just trying to find some consistency in the beds. Having a hard time believing it is just a random thing. Possibly different bucks using them at different times so accessing by different trails? Out in the marsh, danger could come from anywhere so would they really be wind specific?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
GRFox
500 Club

Re: Trails leading to beds.

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:I have a question I have been wondering about for some time. I located a bunch of beds this past spring and most of them seem to have 2 trails leading to them. Entry and exit, by the majority of tracks that were visible. Some only have 1 obvious trail with tracks heading both ways. A couple that I found had multiple trails through the cattails leading to them. Am I correct in believing that the beds with more trails leading to them would be used on many different winds? All these beds were in marsh. Are these deer bedding in a particular spot due to wind direction or are they using the beds regardless of wind direction. I am just trying to find some consistency in the beds. Having a hard time believing it is just a random thing. Possibly different bucks using them at different times so accessing by different trails? Out in the marsh, danger could come from anywhere so would they really be wind specific?

Dan would be best at answering this question, but from what i have learned on the forum about marsh bedding is the beds dont have to be wind favorable for the buck to bed there, they bed there on any wind.

I think the difference in trails may have to do with access to and from that bed, maybe only one trail is all that can get him to that bed because one side has a natural barrier such as deep standing water or downed trees? Just a thought....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Beds within cattails are rarely wind specific. They seem to use noisy approach to bust intruders.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 pm

What about buck access to the beds in relation to the wind? If the beds themselves dont seem to be wind specific (in a marsh) is the bucks approach to the bed dictated by the wind?

What about terrains that have similar dense cover to a marsh? Same thing? Thoughts?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 pm

ozzz wrote:What about buck access to the beds in relation to the wind? If the beds themselves dont seem to be wind specific (in a marsh) is the bucks approach to the bed dictated by the wind?

What about terrains that have similar dense cover to a marsh? Same thing? Thoughts?

Bed approach with wind to back is going to be more in areas where predators could get close following the scent. I think this happens more in woods, grass, etc... Within the cattails the main defense seems to be noise. Some beds along the edge might be wind specific, or have deer circling them... Its not a perfect science either. Your going to see some still circle in the cattails, and some not do it in the woods... It takes a lot of observing, and actually opening your mind to what your seeing for many years to start to realize patterns on your own. I think a lot of people see a nice buck and say to themselves, wow! that was a nice buck. I see a nice buck and ask why he was there, what was the wind doing, what time of year is it, have I seen this before, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”