Who uses a hunting journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Who uses a hunting journal

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:36 am

I was just wondering who keeps a hunting journal? I have been wanting to do this for a number of years, but just havent started one yet. I think this is the year I am finally going to go pick one up and write everything down so I can look back at it when I am older. I also think it would be pretty cool to pass down to my children some day.

Does any one recommend one they really like?

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Who uses a hunting journal

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 am

I keep one. I made it myself. But it sure is nice to look back on for info.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am

I use a google doc spreadsheet for sighting notes, i use prohuntersjournal to write in, I also have a blog and I have a binder with maps, plus I use google earth and cabelas recon

data dork

Forgot... been keeping video too
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:51 am

I use PhotoShop. I deep details aerials and topos of each area I hunt and mark it up as I see fit. I also keep dates, notes, buck sightings, photos and anything else I can think of files away for each location. I have about 25-30 files setup with different tracks of land I hunt or plan on hunting. My kids shouldn't have any problem getting on public land bucks, all the work will be done for them.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:17 am

I use a spiral notebook and record as many details as possible for each outing. I also use an electronic one called Gametraxx. Here is a link if you want to check it out. http://www.gametraxx.com/ You add your adress for your hunting area, and it automatical fills in weather data for that day from a nearby weather station. It has an anual cost of $30 I believe. I have 10 years of data in this now and you can generate all kinds of reports from moon phase, wind direction, temp and many others. You can also keep track of trail cams too. Pretty cool, in my opinion.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:06 am

I kept a scouting journal this year. Took it with me and drew my own map, marked all beds and possible sttand sights, marked rubs, rub lines oaks and so forth. Definetly going o be a helpful reminder.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 am

I keep one just as a Microsoft Word document. It takes discipline to go home after every hunt and write down all of the information about the hunt, but when I look back at past years' journals, it really is awesome to see what areas were hot and the dates/times that I had the most action.

After I get settled in my stand, the first thing I do is make a note in my phone about:

-What stand I'm hunting
-What time I got set up
-Temperature
-Barometric Pressure
-Wind Direction
-Moon Phase

It takes a little bit of time, but with what's available on phones nowadays, it isn't so bad. What Black Squirrel recommended sounds like an awesome resource, although I would still take the time and record the actual observed wind direction from your stand. The wind direction at the nearest weather center could be completely different than what you experience in your tree.

Another piece of information I write in my journal is about what crops are planted and how the acorn/apple/etc. crop is for that particular year in my hunting areas. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I have one particular stand that produced GREAT for one year and then nothing the next two years. After looking at my journal, I realized that the year it was great, there was corn planted in two of the neighboring fields and nothing planted in those fields the following two years. So now I know that when those fields get planted in corn again, I can expect that stand to turn on again.

Having that information that seems irrelevant at the time can really help you see the big picture when you sit down and look back over the years.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:41 am

Been keeping a spiral notebook journal for both scouting and hunting trips since 2008...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:58 am

xpauliber wrote:What Black Squirrel recommended sounds like an awesome resource, although I would still take the time and record the actual observed wind direction from your stand. The wind direction at the nearest weather center could be completely different than what you experience in your tree.
Right on! I always record it in my spiral notebook and it can be off to what the weather staiton says.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:06 am

I do buy 3 ways.
The first is very classic, like a diary during the hunt with some small pics and I use also some Power-Point presentation and some time I try to make videos...

For me it's important to fix some experiences and it will be a good reminding when I'll be older and also like a testament for my son.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Liberty-Hunt wrote:I do buy 3 ways.
The first is very classic, like a diary during the hunt with some small pics and I use also some Power-Point presentation and some time I try to make videos...

For me it's important to fix some experiences and it will be a good reminding when I'll be older and also like a testament for my son.

Awesome, PowerPoint presentations and videos really help with the visualization of your hunting areas and stands. I typically haven't been to a stand since spring scouting, so looking at video's of the entrance to the stand and the stand itself helps me with tree recoginition and visuallization of what it looked like with the leaves off... very different from what it will look like in the early season when you can't see very far.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I have started and stopped little notebooks many times. Presently not using one. My main project is deciphering the county park across the lake this will be the third year open to archery hunting. I have a few maps marked up but no journal
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”