Foltzy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Foltzy

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:05 am

foltzy wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:foltzy wrote:
But most guys don't have a clue when they need to be hunting them. Some get used all year, some just the first week of season, some late.

This is me. How do you determine when to hunt a bed? What clues do you use to detrime if a bed is active or not?

I speed scout areas all season looking for big tracks. Find a set of tracks and follow them, don't go right to his bed but notice where he's heading. If the areas remote and it's not practical to scout I don't worry about it. Those remote hard to get to spots are the ones I would expect to hold mature bucks after a couple weeks of season. Guy's find these hard to get to areas and hunt them opening weekend expecting to shoot a wallhanger. When they should have been hunting closer to the truck in the easy areas, then later working into the remote spots.

Im guilty of this. The first couple of days Im in the oaks trying to catch em feeding. After that Im always in the thickest stuff I can find.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
foltzy

Unread postby foltzy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:08 am

Bucky wrote:Do you find that year after year the same bedding areas produce? That has been my finding both private and public... year after year, good buck bedding is good buck bedding unless something drastic changes

Definetly, some bedding areas will hold big bucks year after year. Public or private it doesn't matter, big bucks look for the same terrain. Untill it gets destroyed or over hunted they will keep using it. The buck I shot late season last year was the third slob I took out of the same little 1/4 acre bedding area. I scouted it last week and there was a new set of cow tracks headin right for it....
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:29 am

foltzy wrote: I almost always hunt the back door, So basicaly I loop around the back side (downwind) and sneak as close as possiblle to my target. I find most bucks will stage the first fifty yards or so with the wind at their back then loop around into it.

I would have thought they leave their bed going into the wind. Any theories as to why you find the majority exiting and staging downwind of their bed, before swinging back around? That is very interesting to me. I will certainly be taking that into consideration on my setups. Anyone else find that they do this as well?
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am

Pullintoobs wrote:
foltzy wrote: I almost always hunt the back door, So basicaly I loop around the back side (downwind) and sneak as close as possiblle to my target. I find most bucks will stage the first fifty yards or so with the wind at their back then loop around into it.

I would have thought they leave their bed going into the wind. Any theories as to why you find the majority exiting and staging downwind of their bed, before swinging back around? That is very interesting to me. I will certainly be taking that into consideration on my setups. Anyone else find that they do this as well?

I have never seen that, that I can recall... Travel direction out of the bed seems pretty reliably repetitive to me...
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 am

dan wrote:
Pullintoobs wrote:

I have never seen that, that I can recall... Travel direction out of the bed seems pretty reliably repetitive to me...

Into the wind in your experience? As in when staging around the bedding area before dark, do they generally meander in upwind direction?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:02 am

I have never noticed any kind of directional trend for bucks leaving bedding... Going to bedding is a different story though. Going to bed, I have seen them often swing around and come in with wind to back.
foltzy

Unread postby foltzy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:45 am

Pullintoobs wrote:

I honestly can't say why they head with the wind when leaving their beds. I just know they do, every single buck I got on last year hunting beast style stood from their bed then headed with the wind. This is early movement, like an hour before dark. I think this is just them killing time untill dark inside their safe zone. If they were hanging tight to their beds untill dark I think more would get up and head into the wind.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Holy 180 batman! So I wonder how many guys have been in their tree, with that just off wind, everything is perfect and then the buck heads out the back door and they chalk the night up to must not have been a buck in that bed tonight?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Holy 180 batman! So I wonder how many guys have been in their tree, with that just off wind, everything is perfect and then the buck heads out the back door and they chalk the night up to must not have been a buck in that bed tonight?

Depends on the terrain Ken, In the marsh type areas I hunt a lot near my home I am usually close enough to watch the deer rise from his bed and see which way he goes and how he acts... I can't speak for Foltzy, but I think he is hunting similar terrain and closeness.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Foltzy, how about some pics of your nice bucks? 8-)
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Spysar wrote:Foltzy, how about some pics of your nice bucks? 8-)

X2 :D
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm

x3, thanks for the info.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:52 am

Spysar wrote:Foltzy, how about some pics of your nice bucks? 8-)

Nothing yet! ??? :D
foltzy

Unread postby foltzy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 am

Sorry I havn't been on for a couple days. I'll post a group pic when I get my two back from last year.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 am

Foltzy..... what terrain do you hunt? Hill country, marsh, both ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”