How many hours?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: How many hours?

Unread postby Spysar » Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am

I wanna say average 250 hrs tree time, sometimes more or less. And I don't hunt early season as NY opens around Oct 15th.(good thing or I'd never get enough work done if it opened any earlier :lol: ) I guess it would vary like Dor said, when hunting an extra state.

But I also spent a bit of time still hunting and or scouting with a bow in hand. And when there's snow I like to follow tracks around with a gun.

Yeah Josh, we put in some tree time in Illy. Here's a better look at the rack from the buck I got, the day you left. Is this the one you passed? :lol: Dang! I think I shot the buck that Bucky passed. :?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 am

Spysar wrote:I wanna say average 250 hrs tree time, sometimes more or less. And I don't hunt early season as NY opens around Oct 15th.(good thing or I'd never get enough work done if it opened any earlier :lol: ) I guess it would vary like Dor said, when hunting an extra state.

But I also spent a bit of time still hunting and or scouting with a bow in hand. And when there's snow I like to follow tracks around with a gun.

Yeah Josh, we put in some tree time in Illy. Here's a better look at the rack from the buck I got, the day you left. Is this the one you passed? :lol: Dang! I think I shot the buck that Bucky passed. :?

I didn't pass him, had him at about 35-40 yards in thick brush.... I was going back and forth of whether or not to shoot him... if he would have came in slam dunk I probably would have shot him. It was the first 2hrs of my hunt in IL (and I had seen deer chasing at a distance)... if I had known the weather was gonna completely shut down all movement for the next 3-4 days I would have definetly shot him. I did see 3 bucks bigger during the week long hunt, two were way bigger... Joe G has some good ground, I bet our hunt would have been way better with colder weather. I still had a great time...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:06 am

The euro turned out awesome by the way :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:16 am

Well over 200 hours for sure.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 am

Bucky wrote:The euro turned out awesome by the way :mrgreen:

Thanks Josh. I wish you woulda got that HOSS you saw toward the end of your hunt. I didn't see a buck bigger than the one I shot. And yeah, the ground is good there. We got shafted by the weather...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:56 pm

About 120 over 14-16 days
patman

Unread postby patman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm

About 150hrs the last two years. Before that because of my job and where I lived it was about 80hrs
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm

im not really sure :think: but this year i have endless opportunity's to hunt many places now that i have my truck :twisted: i plan on keeping record of how much time im on stand .....looking forward to this season!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Spysar wrote:I wanna say average 250 hrs tree time, sometimes more or less. And I don't hunt early season as NY opens around Oct 15th.(good thing or I'd never get enough work done if it opened any earlier :lol: ) I guess it would vary like Dor said, when hunting an extra state.

Wow, that is amazing! If you sat for 8hrs straight per day, thats over 31 days in the tree. That doesnt count your travel time to/from state to state. When do you have time to scout if your in the tree all that time? :shock:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Every year I say I am going to keep a journal and keep track of info like this and every year for some reason I dont. I think it would be awesome to look back at your hunting history when you get older. Sorry to stray off topic atleast 150 hours per year.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Wow, that is amazing! If you sat for 8hrs straight per day, thats over 31 days in the tree. That doesnt count your travel time to/from state to state. When do you have time to scout if your in the tree all that time? :shock:

Lots of all day sits. More like 11 hours per day. Maybe my estimate of 250 is a little high. I have been hunting four states a year for a few years now. My hunting vacation is 4 + weeks, plus I hunt at home too.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Archery, 80 to 90 hours on stand. Rifle, about 100 hours stand and still hunting combined.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Spysar wrote: My hunting vacation is 4 + weeks, plus I hunt at home too.

Im envious!

I saw a drastic decline in how much time I have in the woods last year but it will get better this year and even better next year.

The year before I had my son I hunted every day of our fall archery season, every day of the rifle season and almost every day of the late season. That was my most time spent ever. I was way over 300+ hours that season and heading on 400( was laid off and couldnt even get an interview to go to at times)

I figure I hunted about 140 hours last season and that was one of my lightest ever
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Last year for me it was about 30 minutes early season, 64 hours from late october through the first couple weeks of november, 12 hours during gun, and 1 hour late season, for just under 80 hours if my memory serves me correctly. Most of my early season time was spend trying to learn duck hunting, though, so the number is a bit misleading.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:38 am

Last year I logged just under 100 hours in a tree for the bow season. Usually it's closer to 150 hours during bow season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”