Is buck hunting on a certain pattern lame?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Is buck hunting on a certain pattern lame?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 30, 2012 2:59 am

I see some posts about hunters hunting certain spots during the rut and kind of down playing that method. Just for example (hypothetically) a guy has a nice bottle neck and gets a good buck out of it every year on a set stand. Would you consider him a good hunter, poor hunter, opportunistic hunter? Now lets say a hunter has a dynamite buck bed that produces bucks year after year (hypothetically). Is he a good hunter, poor hunter or an opportunist. I guess what I'm asking is a hunter considered less of a hunter if he hunts great spots and is successful doing the same thing year after year? Or is a hunter considered a better hunter if he hunts poor spots and is not very successful? Thoughts?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Is buck hunting on a certain pattern lame?

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 am

I say hes smart in that he found said area. But, if he has exclusive access to that piece and hunts unpressured deer i dont consider it in the same regard as the guy who found a spot on public land that goes unnoticed
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 am

I would not consider ethier hunter a lesser hunter based on those 2 methods. They each take some knowledge to figure out how and when to hunt it. If I guy gets on to big bucks year after year, they must be doing something right. In small acre parcels of this day and age, a person may only have a funnel, a bed, or neither on the property that they hunt. Public may be different. I think you take what nature gives you and roll with it what ever way you can.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 30, 2012 4:17 am

Good question... Being able to take a good buck in the same spot and same time every year in my opinion does not mean squat about your knowledge as a hunter... Yes, it might take some degree of knowledge and skill to find that spot, but from what I have observed, most hunters can kill a decent buck on decent land during the rut... Not to many are successful all season, or on new grounds...
Skill as a hunter to me, is being able to go to a new property regardless of terrain or pressure,. and get onto a decent buck "for that area" in a relativity short period of time.
Im not knocking hunters who have great spots, I got a couple myself.... Just saying, being an all around hunter who can get it done on most any property, early season, during the lull, lock down, late season, or what ever is thrown at you, is more impressive to me.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 am

I like the way you asked the question Stan the Deer Man!!!

Any hunter who can consistantly get on deer is a hunter - period.
What type of deer remains (possibly) part of the question...

Any deer = hunter.
Antlered deer = hunter
Mature deer - including Doe's (say 2.5+, some will argue 3.5, 4.5 - whatever it is) = hunter
Mature antlered deer = hunter

Up until about the turn of the millennium I was a "hunter" who wasn't very successful --> I stumbled/killed deer every handful of seasons.
It changed when I found that one of my pretty good friends was more of a hunter than I ever imagined when he invited me to his house and I saw his trophy room.
- WOW was the only word that came to mind followed by HOW can I achieve this lifelong dream!!!

After many discussion and helpful hints from my mentor I turned into a deer killing mahine ( a couple deer a year - far better than most of my hunting group/friends). I went from seeing a coupkle a deer a season to 30-40/season - a vast improvement...

In 2008 I was satisfied with all the Doe's, basket racks and 2.5 year olds and told myself that I'll start holding out like my mentor suggested he routinely does.
(like you Stan ;) )
My 1st goal was achieved and killed a 100" buck and for the most part (96") I did it with great joy!
The next quest was to have a couple bucks per year worthy of 120"+ and found a few - even helped two other good friends achieve my goal, but haven't sealed the deal yet.
This was considered by me to be a 5-year plan and I'm going into my 4th season with reasonable results and expectations and confidence.
I'm still puzzled and learning the whole mature buck syndrome but each month I seem to absorb another tiny piece of information I feel would be useful.
My biggest holdback is a 5-year old son and needing to be shown more than reasoning how to approach different methods - I guess my Dad was right, I'm a bit of a numb-skull. :shock:

I'm only a colledge player in the realm of proffessional hunters, but maybe light will dawn on marblehead someday ;)
Until then- I'll be the guy that still wants a baseball from the game even though the little child besides him will get the chance before me.
Please - oh - please I want a baseball/buck!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 30, 2012 4:45 am

dan wrote:Good question... Being able to take a good buck in the same spot and same time every year in my opinion does not mean squat about your knowledge as a hunter... Yes, it might take some degree of knowledge and skill to find that spot, but from what I have observed, most hunters can kill a decent buck on decent land during the rut... Not to many are successful all season, or on new grounds...
Skill as a hunter to me, is being able to go to a new property regardless of terrain or pressure,. and get onto a decent buck "for that area" in a relativity short period of time.
Im not knocking hunters who have great spots, I got a couple myself.... Just saying, being an all around hunter who can get it done on most any property, early season, during the lull, lock down, late season, or what ever is thrown at you, is more impressive to me.

This kind of plays into what my question is about. If that hunter gives that spot up and can't kill a decent buck in another spot what has he accomplished? Ultimately, his objective is to put a buck on the wall. If he is killing good bucks and changes spots and not killing good bucks, how skillful would that be?
I like your thoughts on what skill is in a hunter. I believe this topic has unlimited potential for conversation/interaction.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I like the way you asked the question Stan the Deer Man!!!

Any hunter who can consistantly get on deer is a hunter - period.
What type of deer remains (possibly) part of the question...

Any deer = hunter.
Antlered deer = hunter
Mature deer - including Doe's (say 2.5+, some will argue 3.5, 4.5 - whatever it is) = hunter
Mature antlered deer = hunter

Up until about the turn of the millennium I was a "hunter" who wasn't very successful --> I stumbled/killed deer every handful of seasons.
It changed when I found that one of my pretty good friends was more of a hunter than I ever imagined when he invited me to his house and I saw his trophy room.
- WOW was the only word that came to mind followed by HOW can I achieve this lifelong dream!!!

After many discussion and helpful hints from my mentor I turned into a deer killing mahine ( a couple deer a year - far better than most of my hunting group/friends). I went from seeing a coupkle a deer a season to 30-40/season - a vast improvement...

In 2008 I was satisfied with all the Doe's, basket racks and 2.5 year olds and told myself that I'll start holding out like my mentor suggested he routinely does.
(like you Stan ;) )
My 1st goal was achieved and killed a 100" buck and for the most part (96") I did it with great joy!
The next quest was to have a couple bucks per year worthy of 120"+ and found a few - even helped two other good friends achieve my goal, but haven't sealed the deal yet.
This was considered by me to be a 5-year plan and I'm going into my 4th season with reasonable results and expectations and confidence.
I'm still puzzled and learning the whole mature buck syndrome but each month I seem to absorb another tiny piece of information I feel would be useful.
My biggest holdback is a 5-year old son and needing to be shown more than reasoning how to approach different methods - I guess my Dad was right, I'm a bit of a numb-skull. :shock:

I'm only a colledge player in the realm of proffessional hunters, but maybe light will dawn on marblehead someday ;)
Until then- I'll be the guy that still wants a baseball from the game even though the little child besides him will get the chance before me.
Please - oh - please I want a baseball/buck!!!

Ed, as usual you have farmed a great response.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 am

dan wrote:Good question... Being able to take a good buck in the same spot and same time every year in my opinion does not mean squat about your knowledge as a hunter... Yes, it might take some degree of knowledge and skill to find that spot, but from what I have observed, most hunters can kill a decent buck on decent land during the rut... Not to many are successful all season, or on new grounds...

Come test NH Big Boy! ;)

Just "buy a ticket for an aeroplane" and a license and I'll take care of your ride and food - even a choice of rifle if you choose? (less than $700)
Round up a couple all-stars and make a contest out of it... :dance:
I'll even pay for the winners mount (some rules will apply) in exchange for valuable lessons from the elite!!!

Not being facetious but there is a good indication of why Spysar doesn't travel to NH!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 am

Stanley wrote:I see some posts about hunters hunting certain spots during the rut and kind of down playing that method. Just for example (hypothetically) a guy has a nice bottle neck and gets a good buck out of it every year on a set stand. Would you consider him a good hunter, poor hunter, opportunistic hunter?

Opportunistic

Stanley wrote:Now lets say a hunter has a dynamite buck bed that produces bucks year after year (hypothetically). Is he a good hunter, poor hunter or an opportunist.

Again, opportunistic.
In both of those examples, isn't that what we as hunters look for? A tactic that consistantly works? I'm not sure anyone would purposely choose a hunting strategy that would make hunting more difficult unless the end result were greater, such as what Ed was saying.

Stanley wrote: I guess what I'm asking is a hunter considered less of a hunter if he hunts great spots and is successful doing the same thing year after year? Or is a hunter considered a better hunter if he hunts poor spots and is not very successful? Thoughts?

I consider the better hunter to be the guy that can adapt to whatever property / terrain, private or public, and get the job done, maybe not every year but fairly consistantly. And not necessarily all mature bucks.

Public or private land might not be an issue either depending on the property. Not all public is highly pressured and not all private is a cake walk despite what some think. If a hunter kills on public land using the same tactics that he used on private land, that doesn't necessesarily make him a better hunter. But the guy that can be consistantly sucessful whether he's hunting in marsh/swamps, hill country, farm country, or different states even, now that guy has learned the buisness.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 am

Stanley wrote:Now lets say a hunter has a dynamite buck bed that produces bucks year after year (hypothetically). Is he a good hunter, poor hunter or an opportunist.

Again, opportunistic.
In both of those examples, isn't that what we as hunters look for? A tactic that consistantly works? I'm not sure anyone would purposely choose a hunting strategy that would make hunting more difficult unless the end result were greater, such as what Ed was saying.

I consider the better hunter to be the guy that can adapt to whatever property / terrain, private or public, and get the job done, maybe not every year but fairly consistantly. And not necessarily all mature bucks.

Public or private land might not be an issue either depending on the property. Not all public is highly pressured and not all private is a cake walk despite what some think. If a hunter kills on public land using the same tactics that he used on private land, that doesn't necessesarily make him a better hunter. But the guy that can be consistantly sucessful whether he's hunting in marsh/swamps, hill country, farm country, or different states even, now that guy has learned the buisness.[/quote]

[glow=red]I have seen people post up that hunting like that isn't skilful. Why would they say and think that?[/glow]
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 am

If someone is killing nice bucks year in and year out using the same pattern, GOOD for them! However, they should be honest not only to others, but themselves when discussing skill level in hunting down big bucks. I will take nothing away from their accomplishments, but honesty in their endeavors is all I ask. Too many people get caught with trying to impress everyone with their buck kills that they forget about their own development as a hunter (If they even care). I for one care about my development as a hunter so I try to be as honest as possible whenever asked about my hunting grounds, my own skill, and the luck involved in my hunts. I want to get get better every year and cannot do that if I let my ego get involved.

Hunting where I do has forced me to become a flexible, mobile, and thoughtful hunter in order to consistently kill bucks with my bow. However, all of those bucks minus 1 have been 2.5 year old bucks. I will not lie and I will not pretend to be something that I am not...I am NOT a good big buck killer nor a good big buck hunter in general. I am like a yellow belt in the martial arts world when it comes to big buck hunting...hahaha.

So when I boil it down....Be honest with others and don't act like you are the be all end all of big buck killers when you are sitting on prime ground, hunting prime times, and sitting in a perfect pinch point and killing big bucks. That being said, I am happy for you if you have all of those things and my goodness I would lo ve to be in those spots! :) But I would be honest about where I hunt.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 am

since comparing hunters isnt my cup of tea, i would say that hunter that found that killer spot and knows how to capitalize on it is a succesful hunter. any hunter that can get results year after year isnt lucky. if they are i wanna be lucky.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 30, 2012 8:11 am

tim wrote:since comparing hunters isnt my cup of tea, i would say that hunter that found that killer spot and knows how to capitalize on it is a succesful hunter. any hunter that can get results year after year isnt lucky. if they are i wanna be lucky.

Agree 100%

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am

If you live by the one "old faithful" spot, you will die there too.

If your not not constantly evolving as a hunter, and conquering new ground all the time, your not even in the game.

A great hunter will never put all his eggs in one basket.

Sure, a great hunter may have a few "old faithful" spots, and he should use them to his advantage. But a great hunter has an umlimited amount of other options should "old faithful" go dry.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am

If you dig a little deeper into this question, how about the guy who has a lot of money but can't seem to kill a decent buck so he does a ton of research, and finds out where the best land is, buys 5000 acres. Puts in hundreds of acres of food plots, don't let anybody else hunt there, and shoots one of the hundreds of P&Y bucks he sees each year... Is he now a better hunter?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”