What you doing right now to help you this coming season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Re: What you doing right now to help you this coming season?

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat May 26, 2012 2:21 pm

I need to practice with the alpha and stix. I plan to start shining soon with my son. Got one food plot planted on one of my private properties and need to get the other done next week.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat May 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:I need to practice with the alpha and stix. I plan to start shining soon with my son. Got one food plot planted on one of my private properties and need to get the other done next week.

You actually have it planted? Whats in it?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat May 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I am working with my feed mill and this in my 1 acre plot I am doing a forage mix of soybeans and cowpeas. He gets whole sale before it goes into the antler red one minus the buckwheat. If it takes off this should be a great mix high in protein. I am doing next weekend RR soybeans on 2 acres.
I walked back to my plot today with forage mix the tracks were amazing. I will leave it alone now till I plant fall winter kill plot end of July

Platinum PETA Member
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat May 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:I am working with my feed mill and this in my 1 acre plot I am doing a forage mix of soybeans and cowpeas. He gets whole sale before it goes into the antler red one minus the buckwheat. If it takes off this should be a great mix high in protein. I am doing next weekend RR soybeans on 2 acres.
I walked back to my plot today with forage mix the tracks were amazing. I will leave it alone now till I plant fall winter kill plot end of July

Nice, good luck. You should post up some pics of the process.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat May 26, 2012 3:21 pm

I will thanks

Platinum PETA Member
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 26, 2012 3:36 pm

I'll be working on food plots after I get some cat fishing done.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Glassing, shining, 3D tournaments, looking at aerials and topos looking for overlooked bedding areas.

Also do a lot of walking and mountain biking from now till fall to keep in shape and along with some weight training. Makes a big difference as you get older and helps to go that extra mile to get away from other hunters. Definately makes a difference when dragging a deer from deep in a cattail marsh.

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 am

I am shooting quite a bit. Like to get out and shoot 3d. Am going to start shining again soon as well. I am also putting together a binder with maps and aerials to my new found spots and the spots I have found over the years.I am jotting down any notes or observations I made in the spring. That is something I wish I would have done along time ago. My gear pretty much stays in top condition all the time cuz I am a bit anal about it. I also like to go back and reread posts on here that were made during the season. Guys with questions etc... Some great advice is given on here when someone has a dilemma. I really would like to get better at picking spots based on a topo for some new areas I want to take a look at. That is one thing I really need to improve.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun May 27, 2012 7:57 am

To be honest I'm not doing a thing right now. Did some scouting when the snow melted but that was It.
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Sun May 27, 2012 7:58 am

I have worked on my stand sights, cutting shooting lanes, opening trails past my stands for the deer to use, and also have mowed food plots once this year already. Got the trail cameras out to see who is still walking around for the upcoming season. Checked for new stand locations according to last years deer movements. I also bought a travel trailer that I am doing a frame off restoration to for our hunting camp. Then trying to get out atleast twice a week to shoot the bow.
aspire to inspire before you expire
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Sun May 27, 2012 9:56 am

i am resting and chilling out. i try not to get to excited about season now till august. just about done with taking guys out turkey hunting. will start hanging stands in august. i hunt almost entirely out of prehung spots now. was turkey hunting this am in pa and saw 6 bucks, one had 7 inch brows already and looked like pop cans for bases.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun May 27, 2012 10:23 pm

KLEMZ wrote:I'm tinkering with an idea for a backpackable ladder/stand that can be set up in the redbrush.
Also, I'm shooting my bow almost everyday. I shoot a traditional bow and I have learned that I'm too old to just pick it up a month before season.

Love it Klemz......... Keep shooting
Chinook

Unread postby Chinook » Mon May 28, 2012 4:39 am

Starting to put a plan together for the upcoming season, maps, dates I can hunt ... close to home, farther away, places I can hunt ect. Looks good on paper :roll: .
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon May 28, 2012 8:02 am

This has been my slowest off-season in a decade. The only thing I am doing right now that will help me come the hunting season is NOT taking leave at work. I haven't taken a day of leave in over 10 months. That will help me come the hunting season.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon May 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Walked 1.5 miles today with 35 pound pack...picked three spots to get trees ready.

Will go back and prepare trees on Wed with my son to help...set up, trim some, take down.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”