Determining how many does you should/can kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BJE80

Determining how many does you should/can kill

Unread postby BJE80 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:42 pm

So you set up mineral stations with a trail cam to get your inventory. And you know approximate how may does, fawns and bucks live on your property. Our family loves venison and the meat is a big part of why I hunt.

We own 80 acres of land. So how can I tell how many does I can kill in a given year while keeping it sustainable? Is there some type of formula or guideline out there? What types of things should I looking for?

I don't think there is going to be one paragraph answer. More or less I would like to get a discussion going on the best ways to decide what deer to shoot and how many completely separate from mature buck hunting.

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Determining how many does you should/can kill

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon May 21, 2012 11:29 pm

I always looked at how many I think we could eat in a year and how many the freezor would hold :mrgreen: But deer are abundant here, we're not gonna wipe them out. I guess that depends on what kind of herd you have.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 am

Depends on what your seeing on your cameras. I also look at the preferred browse around the area. If that is getting hammered pretty good, you can take a few more does. If I am trying to reduce the population, I like to shoot an adult doe. If I am trying to maintain, I will shoot a yearling doe, if I need meat for the freezer. Not sure how much I can effectively manipulate the population as there are so many other hunters around. That's just how I do it.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:18 am

What are the nieghboring landowners goals ?Are they brown its down shoot anything?Or do they practice some type of management?
gutone4me
500 Club

Unread postby gutone4me » Tue May 22, 2012 9:24 am

We eat 3 deer a year so I will only shoot what we need but can have my arm twisted if she snorts at me and then gives me an opportunity to kill her ! :whistle:
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 am

80 acres isnt enough to worry about managing the herd unless your neighbors are on board. 500-1000 now were talking.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm

That is dependent on a lot of things (location, habitat, space, browse, ag, cover, food in general, harvest by other hunters, densities, and so on). In general, you have to know your herd. I would like to see my deer herd here cut in half, at the very least. I can kill 40-50 deer a year here for 4 or 5 years along with a couple other buddies and still see more deer every year than the year prior. If you did that elsewhere, you may have ran out of deer 2 years ago. When in doubt, don't shoot any.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

I hunt several hundred acre tracts that land lock each other and I personally dont shoot any does, unless i need one. I havent shot a doe off my land in years!!! If i want a doe i go to public hunting areas. IMO wherever the does are the bucks will be come rut. Ive seen to many people get caught up in this buck to doe ratio and screw there hunting properties up by shooting to many does. It doesnt take much to ruin a property so id be cautious on this one.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 am

goldtip5575 wrote:What are the nieghboring landowners goals ?Are they brown its down shoot anything?Or do they practice some type of management?

Not really. They are gun only hunters that are lazy. Not many deer are shot on the neighbors.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:44 am

jlh42581 wrote:80 acres isnt enough to worry about managing the herd unless your neighbors are on board. 500-1000 now were talking.

Don't get me wrong I agree. Doesn't mean we should be shooting everything that moves just because they taste good. ;)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 am

BJE80 wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:80 acres isnt enough to worry about managing the herd unless your neighbors are on board. 500-1000 now were talking.

Don't get me wrong I agree. Doesn't mean we should be shooting everything that moves just because they taste good. ;)

Im on board with you. I have had a doe tag in my home county for the last three years I couldve filled it multiple times. I refuse to do so because I am not a hypocrite. I refuse to be upset that we have very few deer then kill the few I do see.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”