Sure seems to me there are more deer this year.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BJE80

Sure seems to me there are more deer this year.

Unread postby BJE80 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm

It has to be from the mild winter and low kill off. But I am seeing a ton of younger deer this year on trail cams and sign. More than I can ever remember. Anyone else?

ozzz

Re: Sure seems to me there are more deer this year.

Unread postby ozzz » Mon May 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Ive noticed more roadkill around my parts in Wisconsin and I thought maybe that meant more deer.

Then my wife suggested maybe they just dont collect the road kill as often due to budget cuts.

I dont know, I would like to hope deer numbers are up.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I have been shining quite a bit and it seems like there are areas that have rebounded some and others where the population is still down.

This morning we had a yearling buck and doe in our front yard here in town! :shock: Been living here 11 years and never saw that before!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Dewey wrote:I have been shining quite a bit and it seems like there are areas that have rebounded some and others where the population is still down.

This morning we had a yearling buck and doe in our front yard here in town! :shock: Been living here 11 years and never saw that before!!

shinning already..... 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
gutone4me
500 Club

Unread postby gutone4me » Mon May 21, 2012 2:46 pm

I have been seeing way too many dead on the road sides in some really strange places ? ? ?

Cameras are lit up as a normal year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:I have been shining quite a bit and it seems like there are areas that have rebounded some and others where the population is still down.

shinning already..... 8-)

I shine all year round keeping tabs on where the deer are hanging out.

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue May 22, 2012 1:33 am

I also am seeing a few more deer around this year. I had 3 bucks walk through my backyard the other evening. An unusual occurrence. I had my son out turkey hunting last week one morning and saw those same bucks head for bedding in a small woodlot right behind my neighbors house. Its only a couple acres so they have to be bedding within 75 yards of his house. Good info gained.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 am

BJE80 wrote:It has to be from the mild winter and low kill off. But I am seeing a ton of younger deer this year on trail cams and sign. More than I can ever remember. Anyone else?

What area of the country are you talking about? Where I am in Eastern farm country of Wisconsin, we have a healthy population now.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

Less than normal around here (Northern IL), but as I have posted before we have had a LOT of sharpshooting from the IL DNR on adjacent properties for the past 3-4 years that has nearly eliminated the deer population. Last year alone I never saw a deer while bow (5-6 sits) and gun (6 days) seasons. My Dad saw one deer 300-400 yards away on neighbor's property during his 8 days of gun hunting IL. I am not concerned about the deer population as I fully expect the deer population to rebound in less than a decade pending on the hunting and sharpshooting pressure. Last season I literally never saw another hunter in this area so others have noticed that the deer have dissappeared also!!

SW WI...not sure. I have not been out to the property I hunt since March 22. At that time there appeared to be better than average sign, though. I will find out this weekend as I plan on heading out there to do some work for the landowner, strengthen-up an elevated blind for my Dad and (possibly) hang some trail cams. I typically do not run trail cams until mid-July, but I'm getting the itch a little early this year!!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 am

Not here in the land of Oz.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
BJE80 wrote:It has to be from the mild winter and low kill off. But I am seeing a ton of younger deer this year on trail cams and sign. More than I can ever remember. Anyone else?

What area of the country are you talking about? Where I am in Eastern farm country of Wisconsin, we have a healthy population now.

North Central Wisconsin. Merrill/Antigo Area.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 am

I think a lot of areas were hit hard with hunters killing off too many does. I think the doe killing craze is starting to wear off.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 am

Stanley wrote:I think a lot of areas were hit hard with hunters killing off too many does. I think the doe killing craze is starting to wear off.

X2!! Well said Stanley!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 am

Stanley wrote:I think a lot of areas were hit hard with hunters killing off too many does. I think the doe killing craze is starting to wear off.

Its amazing how hunting shows and videos convinced people they needed to kill does....regardless of the current population / ratio in that area.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun May 27, 2012 7:24 am

I believe i remember you saying on AT a while back something to the efffect of how you hope everyone around you coninues to kill off does, because when the rut rolls aaround all the bucks will be cruising on your properties. where you arent hammerring them....or something like that ...lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”