pre set stands, but use climbing sticks ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

pre set stands, but use climbing sticks ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Just wondering if anyone does this ? I have a spot picked out by my waterhole... i was thinking about taking my extra hang on stand, & putting it in the tree i want, but use my climbing sticks to put it up. That way, when i leave, i will take sticks with me. So when i want to sit in this stand, all i have to do is bring my sticks with me.... i guess i was thinking that maybe the deer wouldnt see my stand in that tree if there is no ladder or climbing rail there all summer long.
What do you guys think, does it make sense, or should i just put some permanent climbing rail or ladder up ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigHunt

Re: pre set stands, but use climbing sticks ?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 pm

your not alone ...i also do this ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Personally I dont think it matters. I usually set my stands before June anyways so I figure that they'll get used to it. Chances are they'll notice the stand whether theres something leading to the stand or not. I dont believe there brain works that way. Last season I setup up a stand the first week of october where I was using sticks I hunted it a few days later and had 8 does walk right underneath me with no problems. A month later from that same stand I arrowed my biggest buck to date. I think it's all about setting up in the right try that has some kind of cover to offer especially after leaves drop.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sat May 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I would use screw in steps... unless you are against them. I only have one stand but i have permanent set ups with steps already in trees and hang my stand during the hunt. I just use my sticks for mobility outside of those setups. It's a cheap way to do it also.
On the other hand if i had more than one stand, i may do it the way you suggested so it would minimize the chances of that stand getting stolen. :think:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 19, 2012 2:21 pm

the only reason why i do it because ....every once and a wile my cousins friend comes up and bow hunts :roll: ive caught him plenty of times in my stands. even have him on film as he climbed down and denied it until i show him the film....lets just say i dot like him and we don't get along ;) so........now i just take ou four or five tree pegs and cover them in the leaves close to the tree .....or i have no pegs and just hang the stand and use my LW sticks
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I usually set 4-5 Lone wolf setups out for early season spots that I know produce and then just take my sticks in with me. Since I dont own these properties it makes it more difficult to steal my stands but easy for me to simple go in and throw 4-5 quite sticks up. If your stands are in "killing" trees then this tactic can work great.... but i always keep several lone wolfs in the garage in case a particular buck has changed his pattern a little bit, i can grab a stand and get aggressive with him.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Just wondering if anyone does this ? I have a spot picked out by my waterhole... i was thinking about taking my extra hang on stand, & putting it in the tree i want, but use my climbing sticks to put it up. That way, when i leave, i will take sticks with me. So when i want to sit in this stand, all i have to do is bring my sticks with me.... i guess i was thinking that maybe the deer wouldnt see my stand in that tree if there is no ladder or climbing rail there all summer long.
What do you guys think, does it make sense, or should i just put some permanent climbing rail or ladder up ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I leave most of my stands up year around, some with sticks others with screw in pegs. I don't think they can pick off just a stand hanging in a tree or even climbing sticks or ladder stands. Do they maybe notice something different or catch the sun reflect off something, yea maybe but they can't rationalize that it's a hunters stand. So leaving them up year around isn't going to make the deer go around your stand because they know it's there, if they catch a glare at some point they will be weary at first but don't think it will effect them much. Do it during the hunting season and if you are in the tree the combo of glare and blob up there may cause troubles for you. I think deer learning about stand locations has way more to do with scent left behind on the tree/climbing sticks, then it does them seeing something different. So putting it up way early is good because they can't avoid every place they ever smell a human, but if hang it in the fall and leave your scent all over the tree they may avoid the tree for a period. This is the reason your first times in a stand can be the best and why hang and hunt set ups work so well, you haven't left your scent all over the tree just before you go and hunt it.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I have some permanent set ups, but usually go mobile. I don't like deer patterning me to a specific tree, and I like to move around based on the exact wind wind the day I hunt. I also change stand height based on cover at differing times of the year...
They are also magnets to people who will either hunt out of them, steal them, or crawl up them and look around. Most guys see a stand in a tree and they will turn and walk right over to it.
Taking the sticks in and out may remove part of that problem, but for me if I have to carry the sticks out there, its not much more of a problem carrying the stand.
The worst thing about permanent stands is that most guys way over hunt them cause they are convenient.
A lot of the time I don't end up hunting the spots I plan to hunt because I run into hot sign on the way, or something changed and I need to adjust. I certainly don't want to get my scent in an area with hot sign and then go hunt someplace else cause I don't have a stand with me... It needs to be hunted the day you find it.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 pm

I have and plan to add some more.......pegs already in and just carry stand in/out.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat May 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I do this on a few of my sets... there are others with permission to hunt the same properties I do, and I don't really care for them sitting in my stands.
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue May 22, 2012 10:59 am

I think this sounds like a good idea.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

On private land I will pre set trees with pegs or some sort of climbing stick but then sling the assault over my shoulder and head up, this way I can have several set ups ready to rotate on smaller pieces.

Meanwhile, I always have the LW sticks if I need to adjust to somewhere that isnt pre set or just dont want to sit that particular tree for whatever reason and for public land of course.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Wed May 23, 2012 12:36 am

I do the same on private lands as for public land this would be illegal for now.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:09 am

Do both the screw in and sticks deal

Hang steps in some area, no stand(screw ins)

Hang stands in areas with no steps

Keep your wolf and steps at all times

You effectively double the amount of stands you have.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 am

I have a bunch of permanent setups using screw-in steps. I hunt out of a Tree Saddle so I wear my "stand" in and out with each hunt, but I mainly hunt pre-set locations. I also use a dozen Cranford folding steps as my mobile set-up in case I want to freelance.
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”