Waitng for a deer to return after jumping from bed.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Waitng for a deer to return after jumping from bed.

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am

I was thinking back to a couple hunts, where when I was making my way slowly through the cattails I had jumped deer like 10 or 20 yards o away.Whenever that happens I always stop and keep silent for awhile. I remember a few times when I could hear the deer making its way back toward me to its bed I assume. I was never able to see them it though because how thick the cattails were. I always thought about trying to sneak to the area I thought the deer was bedded immediately after it ran and wait. They certainly would not hear you as they ran. I think the deer just were spooked by the noise and never smelled me or they would have been gone. Ever jumped one and waited for it to return? Might give this a shot the next time it happens. Have you had an experience where the deer came back and if so how long was it?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Waitng for a deer to return after jumping from bed.

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 am

Pullintoobs wrote:I was thinking back to a couple hunts, where when I was making my way slowly through the cattails I had jumped deer like 10 or 20 yards o away.Whenever that happens I always stop and keep silent for awhile. I remember a few times when I could hear the deer making its way back toward me to its bed I assume. I was never able to see them it though because how thick the cattails were. I always thought about trying to sneak to the area I thought the deer was bedded immediately after it ran and wait. They certainly would not hear you as they ran. I think the deer just were spooked by the noise and never smelled me or they would have been gone. Ever jumped one and waited for it to return? Might give this a shot the next time it happens. Have you had an experience where the deer came back and if so how long was it?

I like this thought process.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 am

I actually encounter this more during the spring while turkey hunting. If I have time or action is slow and this happens, I'll see what the results are. I'm amazed at how often a deer that you are convinced is leaving due to sound only will come back to investigate. I've gotten freakishly close in my opinion during the spring. Fall, seems like it's nowhere near as successful. They are a different animal at that time of year.

I closed the gap on a few deer this morning while turkey hunting. Went from 40 yards to 15 as it bolted and then got within 10 as it tried to back-track.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jon

Unread postby jon » Thu May 17, 2012 10:15 am

I have actually got does doing that. they never came right back some took a few hours. Also they where nervous coming back in but be patient for the shot. on public where I always hunt I'll try anything. These deer seem to do some things you never would think of sometime. Nothing to loose on public I hunt if u dont mess it up someone will thats how I look at it. Its allays a learning experience.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 am

jon wrote:I have actually got does doing that. they never came right back some took a few hours. Also they where nervous coming back in but be patient for the shot. on public where I always hunt I'll try anything. These deer seem to do some things you never would think of sometime. Nothing to loose on public I hunt if u dont mess it up someone will thats how I look at it. Its allays a learning experience.

Definitely! Public land is a great thing to have as a learning tool. It gives you opportunities to try things that you wouldnt normally try on private land. On private (especially if its your only spot and low acreage) your alot less likely to experiment with "nontraditional" methods.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Im thinking if it was a mature deer, they would probrably circle down wind before returning to the bed. Thoughts?

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Ya, I would guess a mature deer would do that too if it were to come back. I think it would be pretty tough to get away with that on an older deer. I just wonder if a deer would see that bed that he was in as a safe one since it was able to escape, and return to it. My guess is that in my experiences, the deer were alarmed by the noise and maybe coming back to investigate the source. I don't know if they bedded down again or not.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu May 17, 2012 2:12 pm

GRFox wrote:Im thinking if it was a mature deer, they would probrably circle down wind before returning to the bed. Thoughts?

So would a better option (if you believe it may be mature) to back out the way you came in---so you aren't leaving any extra ground scent all over the place. Then find a nice cross trail and get up in a tree?
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 pm

GRFox wrote:Im thinking if it was a mature deer, they would probrably circle down wind before returning to the bed. Thoughts?

without a doubt.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 am

During the 2010 season I jumped the buck I arrowed during the 2011 season, from a bed along with his doe... They both went different directions and I figured he would come back for her so I set up right over the bed... About an hour later he came back but circled way down wind to scent check 1st, and busted me.
That was less than 100 yards from where I ended up arrowing him last season.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 19, 2012 5:04 am

dan wrote:During the 2010 season I jumped the buck I arrowed during the 2011 season, from a bed along with his doe... They both went different directions and I figured he would come back for her so I set up right over the bed... About an hour later he came back but circled way down wind to scent check 1st, and busted me.

Dan.....

Based on that expierence , could you use that knowledge for the next time that happens, by setting up 50 or 60 yards down wind of the bed ? That way when the buck comes circling back around, he stays down wind of the bed, but you would be down wind from him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 19, 2012 5:57 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
dan wrote:During the 2010 season I jumped the buck I arrowed during the 2011 season, from a bed along with his doe... They both went different directions and I figured he would come back for her so I set up right over the bed... About an hour later he came back but circled way down wind to scent check 1st, and busted me.

Dan.....

Based on that expierence , could you use that knowledge for the next time that happens, by setting up 50 or 60 yards down wind of the bed ? That way when the buck comes circling back around, he stays down wind of the bed, but you would be down wind from him.

Yes... And I would of set up down wind except the doe ran North, he ran South, the wind was blowing from the West, and there was not much for trails to the East. I figured if he circled he would circle close enough, but I was wrong. He circled about 75 yards out and in pretty thick cover.

I was on my way to hunt him in the bed where I actually shot him this year, and where I jumped him is a satalite bedding area that does usually bed in close to the buck bedding area... When he ran, I am pretty sure he went to the buck bedding area, and thats where he came from when he came out. The trails from there to the spot I jumped him were covered, but he was not covered if he circled a ways down wind like he did...
For most people things like this are just a bummer, but to me, its a learning experience in many ways, and some of the puzzle pieces that ended up helping me kill the buck in 2011
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat May 19, 2012 6:03 am

Interesting post.

Just for your information, with our red stag if you jumped a buck, you can forget this place for at list 2 weeks.
And during the rut it's different. If the females are around he could come back but not the same day has I know.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”