Seeing any fawns yet?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PLB
500 Club

Re: Seeing any fawns yet?

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:
BGHUNTER wrote:So if you backed that up around 201 days from Friday they were bred around October 23 if my math is close, Interesting.

I always thought it was 6 months. After reading your post I just did a quick google and saw on page 1 (without clicking any links) answers ranging from 6 to 7 months and a few that said 200 days. Interesting when you start back calculating.

In (I think) 2009 a friend, his son, and myself watched a deer give birth on May 30 up north. He filmed it on and off for about an hour.

very interesting ... :think:

That's why I think the main breeding in the northwoods takes place the week, before rifle season and carries into rifle season. Those fawns need to be born later in the spring so there is ample food and the does have a chance to get healthy and boost their milk production after a long winter. I'd say Nov. 12Th to 19th is about peak, breeding where I hunt. That puts the fawn drop 200 days into the end May, beginning of June. Where I hunt in SW WI it seems like Nov.5th to 12th each season was peak breeding, or a week earlier than northern WI. My neighbor up north has trail cam video of a buck breeding a doe at his feeder on Nov.14th last season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm

That's why I think the main breeding in the northwoods takes place the week, before rifle season and carries into rifle season. Those fawns need to be born later in the spring so there is ample food and the does have a chance to get healthy and boost their milk production after a long winter. I'd say Nov. 12Th to 19th is about peak, breeding where I hunt. That puts the fawn drop 200 days into the end May, beginning of June. Where I hunt in SW WI it seems like Nov.5th to 12th each season was peak breeding, or a week earlier than northern WI. My neighbor up north has trail cam video of a buck breeding a doe at his feeder on Nov.14th last season.

in western Wisconsin, ive seen them breed from the third week in November into gun season....

one year gun hunting, i seen a 1.5 year old basket rack mount a doe right in front of me....i shot at the doe and missed :oops: :lol: i had buck fever i think :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 pm

BigHunt wrote:

in western Wisconsin, ive seen them breed from the third week in November into gun season....

one year gun hunting, i seen a 1.5 year old basket rack mount a doe right in front of me....i shot at the doe and missed :oops: :lol: i had buck fever i think :lol:

I've also seen peak breeding that late in SW WI too. My findings are just averages from 25 seasons of hunting my areas.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I've also seen peak breeding that late in SW WI too. My findings are just averages from 25 seasons of hunting my areas.

:? well ....you got me beat there Dave :lol: only 12 season for me
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:I've seen more dead deer along the roads lately, and I usually see that when the does start dropping fawns, because I believe the doe kicks out last years fawns, before they give birth. I think alot of the road kills are last years fawns. But I haven't seen any fawns yet.

no fawns yet but ive noticed the same thing. 3 fresh ones this morning on the way to work.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:I've seen more dead deer along the roads lately, and I usually see that when the does start dropping fawns, because I believe the doe kicks out last years fawns, before they give birth. I think alot of the road kills are last years fawns. But I haven't seen any fawns yet.

i saw a dead buck today on ther side of the road on the way home....he had some nice nobs on him
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
BGHUNTER wrote:So if you backed that up around 201 days from Friday they were bred around October 23 if my math is close, Interesting.

I always thought it was 6 months. After reading your post I just did a quick google and saw on page 1 (without clicking any links) answers ranging from 6 to 7 months and a few that said 200 days. Interesting when you start back calculating.

In (I think) 2009 a friend, his son, and myself watched a deer give birth on May 30 up north. He filmed it on and off for about an hour.

I used to have a book from Leonard Lee Rue I think called deer of North America, got info from there. I know its spread out but interesting that some could be getting bred last week of October. :think:
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 am

No doubt they can come in heat the end of october. We witnessed the same buck breeding a doe Oct 27 in 2010 and 2011, got it on video in 2011, probably the same doe as each incident was on one side of the same small woodlot. I count on the biggest bucks looking for these does early, it seems by the time the frenzy starts in early Nov a lot of times the big guys are locked down already.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri May 18, 2012 4:06 am

Hannah and I saw a doe w/fawn the 4th season while going out to turkey hunt, funny thing is it looked like the doe was only a yearling (very small).
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 am

No fawns here, keeping an eye out.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri May 18, 2012 5:03 am

I read on another hunting forum where a guy found tiny fawn tracks about a month or so ago. If that doe went full term she had to of been bred around October 1st assuming there gestation period Is 6.5 months (200 days). I really believe more doe's get bred earlier then we think although the peak Is usually around the 2nd week of November. From what I understand old doe's come Into estrus much earlier then young doe's. A very successful whitetail hunter I've gotten to know some watches for the same old doe every year. He hunts her knowing she comes In way earlier then the other doe's. He's shot some great bucks hunting her In October.
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Fri May 18, 2012 6:02 am

I know the fawns are popping out here in central WI, one of my neighbors a few miles down the road had a doe hit by them and was abe to save the fawn, now it's in their barn or something.

I expect to see some this week for my last week of turkey hunting!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 am

Nothing here in Northern Michigan yet that I have seen.....I will be out looking in the next week pretty hard
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun May 20, 2012 8:20 am

Just pulled a card yesterday and no fawns yet, bucks are putting on some bone though.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun May 20, 2012 10:59 am

Saw quite a few does last week all pot bellied.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”