Waterholes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: Waterholes

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed May 16, 2012 4:37 am

Black squirrel.....

I did something similar to what you have did here, but mine was only about 50 feet from the tub... I used a 55 gal barrel as the main tank and then ran a hose to my tub in the ground... but what I did different was, I put one of those cow tank self water valves on the tub, so when the water level dropped, it would automatically open the valve and fill the tub back up to the top..... Do you know what I'm talking about ? They have them at Fleet farm stores I know.... It worked great, but I noticed at the end of the year, the water in my "steel" barrel, rusted the water.... I probably should have used a plastic barrel....

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 am

Funny you should mention that. I grew up on a farm and often thought about doing that, just never did. So it works good for you?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed May 16, 2012 4:44 am

Yep, worked great....... I just stopped using it because of the steel barrel problem..... I should look into that again, only though with a plastic storage tank.... It went pretty much the whole summer on the one barrel, and then I filled it up again about the end of September.... I was worried about maybe a coon or something messing with the valve, or maybe sticks or leaves making the valve stick open, but it never did...... Worked great !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”