What is your mindset when deer season comes around?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

What is your mindset when deer season comes around?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50 pm

I did some scouting this past weekend with an old hunting buddy. We were in the hills of NE Iowa. We put some boot leather to the ground looking for mushrooms and stand sites for him to hunt 2012. I feel before this scouting trip his chances were -0- on getting a good buck next year. He is so disorganized and unorthodox it's hard to believe he would ever kill a big one (he has killed a few good bucks over the years). I don't know what his mindset is but he has to know the way he goes about it his chances are slim at best. When I am in a stand in the fall, I feel my chances are very good because I understand what it takes to hang a good one on the wall. How about you, what is your mindset and does your success mirror your mindset?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
moondoondude
500 Club

Re: What is your mindset when deer season comes around?

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:13 am

I am extremely persistent and I never give up, if anything my failures and mistakes fuel me. I never do everything perfect buti do it good enough to get it some. I just keep going and going. I hunt a lot and I don't waste hunts. I take it seriously but I always have a great time. I kill deer early, I kill them late, and I kill them in the middle of the season. I do day one to the last day. I take a very tactical approach to all my hunts. I like knowing when I get one that it was well thought through and it involved some hard work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:21 am

in my mind i am going to kill a big one everytime i step into the woods. if you do your homework and am confident in your ability to make the shot all your waiting for is for the deer.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Bwhtr125

Unread postby Bwhtr125 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:43 am

Stanley wrote:He is so disorganized and unorthodox it's hard to believe he would ever kill a big one (he has killed a few good bucks over the years). I don't know what his mindset is but he has to know the way he goes about it his chances are slim at best.

I have several friends that are the same. They consistently hunt the same way year after year and get the same results. They get lucky on a few good bucks once in a while, but mostly younger bucks that are sporting better than average racks. They attribute my successes and consistency to luck, even though I hunt very different than them. No matter how much I try to help and explain it to them, they still think it is all luck. Funny, I think my luck is terrible compared to many. I don't even bother trying to help anymore, just don't understand how they tick. When I hit the woods, I am very confident in my sets, and when I kill a good one, I am not usually surprised. Doesn't take the excitement away but I have come to expect success.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 am

I truly believe that my set up is about to yield the buck I am after on each hunt... If I went in with any other mindset I believe I would fail.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 am

dan wrote:I truly believe that my set up is about to yield the buck I am after on each hunt... If I went in with any other mindset I believe I would fail.

x2 well said
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:34 am

I believe in my setups thats why their chosed, but...
Still pray for Mr. Big to grace me with his presence -I'm getting closer each year.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:33 am

I start out optimistic and confident that I'll kill a big buck. The wind is out of my sails after about the 6th wolf sighting...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Steve
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 am

mn5503 wrote:I start out optimistic and confident that I'll kill a big buck. The wind is out of my sails after about the 6th wolf sighting...

Glad I don't have to deal with wolves.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I am always confident and I keep at it from the beginning to the end. There is always that doubt in the back of head on sometimes though. I want to get rid of that! :oops:
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 am

i have setups that produce year after year so i know that it is a matter of time. i dont know when but i know i am going to get a chance at a nice buck. the nice thing about farm land and small wood lots is things are predictible if you let it happen. the worse problem i have had lately is no north winds. most off my great spots are north northwest wind areas.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 am

I always do my best to stay positive and if I did enough scouting I am very confident as well. I may not always kill a buck I am after but my confidence is high that I will at least have an encounter. Every time I am on stand I believe I will have a good chance to kill a big buck. If I don't kill one that day I carry that attitude into the next day and never give up. Each day is a new adventure. Nothing burns you out faster than a negative attitude so I do my best to avoid that as much as possible.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am

whitetail007 wrote:in my mind i am going to kill a big one everytime i step into the woods. if you do your homework and am confident in your ability to make the shot all your waiting for is for the deer.

X2! I'm very confident, never quit and am always in kill mode while hunting. Having killed enough good deer lately has made me supremely confident under pressure., I have no doubts when I draw the bow. Lately I've been pounding the 12 ring! I also never get tired on stand because adrenalin and attention to detail carry me through til the end.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue May 01, 2012 11:51 am

My mindset the entire season is KILL!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

virginiashadow wrote:My mindset the entire season is KILL!

Lol!! I was thinking of posting that too!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”