unconventional set-ups

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bwhtr125

Re: unconventional set-ups

Unread postby Bwhtr125 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:32 pm

rack addict wrote:Great stuff man! do you have any pics of this ladder? I'm intrigued by this I have a couple spots where this would be killer

Don't have one right now, but I will try to post later. I know many just hunt by seating on top of ladder and feet on rung, but I like to add the platform for more comfort and flexibility. I basically put a cushion on the top and I bolt on a piece of plywood with down supports bolted to the side of the ladder beneath the platform. I also install a fork type bow holder on the side of the platform and a quiver mount on the side of the ladder near the seat. I use a basic Bohning quiver, so I can take the quiver off the bow and place it right next to me, in the event that I need to grab another arrow quickly.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:21 am

A few of my new spots just don't have any huntable trees for a good half mile near the bedding areas so I will be forced to do a little more ground hunting this year. I have a couple of spots picked out, I can id them from a little distance and then have one small hole to shoot through so I will have to be ready. It shoudl be a good learning expereince. I might try the ladder trick in another spot.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:21 am

I love hunting from the ground... in a lot of my heavy-pressured areas everyone sticks to areas with big trees, so I do the opposite and head in to the thickest, nastiest area with no trees that I can find. Getting up close and personal with a deer is an exciting rush!

I really like this topic because it helps everyone think "outside the box"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:24 am

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:30 am

Ive been contemplating a chicken wire blind to use in open areas. Cheap, fill it with natural cover and if it walks away, no big deal.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:47 am

i hunt the ground 90% of the time so i have set up in some differant spots. holes, roots, corn, lone bush in the middle of crp. some of my best spots are ones that people walk by and would never think of hunting there. a nice funnel that conects private to public is one of my best. i have a friend that always laughs at me for sitting there and calls me a green horn, little does he know he is the green horn sitting in the same stand for the last 30 years complaining that he never sees any good bucks. the funnel is right where everyone enters the public land and alot enter the private as well from the same spot. its a great spot when people start hunting the private hard in october, deer will always sneek out when they walk into the woods and head right down the funnel into my lap. hahaha. i just love hunting from the ground, i get into spots that no one else will hunt cuz they cant put up a stand so its a unhunted and unpressured area that all the deer head to. the down fall is i hear alot of deer that i never see but when they do show its 10X's the rush of seeing one from a stand.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 am

I hunted from behind a parked tractor a few times. Passed some smaller bucks but never took a good one with that method.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 am

bump
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 am

I know some people who hunt from old cars that have been sitting in the weeds for ages(gunhunting). In fact one of these cars got towed out last year and my friend ended up putting a ground blind in the same spot!

I've filmed a friend out of the Ghostblind before (mirror blind) and had some awesome close encounters with turkeys. A guy I work with demoed one out the last few years and killed a couple birds while using it. I can see where it would be phenomenal for bowhunting deer in certain treeless areas at certain times. The mirrors are angled down to reduce the probability of glare but I still wouldn't use it for deer without a lot of ground cover.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:38 am

I just bought a ghillie suit to hunt my unconventional locations this year...I'm looking forward to being able to finally have some "cover" while hunting some of these big bucks that bed where there aren't too many trees ;)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:10 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I just bought a ghillie suit to hunt my unconventional locations this year...I'm looking forward to being able to finally have some "cover" while hunting some of these big bucks that bed where there aren't too many trees ;)

I did the same thing, really looking forward to trying my Ghillie out on a few bed hunts. I had to do some trimming on the suit so it would not interfere with my bow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 pm

i have made a few ground blinds aka fancy brush piles in spring time out of dead vegetation on public land and enjoy hunting out of them. i am still somewhat new to bowhunting and have only killed one buck from the ground. i can move around in them alot as long as i keep quiet. i cant see very well in them unless i look over the wall. i use my ears alot and peek through the cracks. i made 3 this spring, might check one or 2 this weekend to see if they need any touch up work.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I just bought a ghillie suit to hunt my unconventional locations this year...I'm looking forward to being able to finally have some "cover" while hunting some of these big bucks that bed where there aren't too many trees ;)

I did the same thing, really looking forward to trying my Ghillie out on a few bed hunts. I had to do some trimming on the suit so it would not interfere with my bow.

Which one you get Jackson M?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:33 pm

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/allpred ... apc004ddd/

I went with the grasslands/desert camo, I think it will blend in real well with the cattails and marsh grass. Definitely not something you want to wear walking TO the area, probably just put it on when I get there. Light weight and kind of flimsy, but I won't be hiking in it so I do not care. Should be fun to try in some of my "unhuntable" areas.

What did you buy?

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I got the Marc Anthony Bowhunter Ghillie. I got it in the fall pattern. I'm excited to use it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”