Dan/Andrea Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bwhtr125

Re: Dan/Andrea Tactics

Unread postby Bwhtr125 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:38 am

moondoondude wrote:WHen you find 40 or 50 of these antlers in the same types of places - it usually tells you where the deer are hanging. Well guess what? Even on very pressured public and private ground the deer hang out in areas where they have high visiblity. If they see you from a way off, they will slip off and find a way out or just hold tight in thick cover.

Just goes to show you how habitat and how the animals use it vary from place to place. My experience with sheds and deer bedding is the opposite in my neck of the woods. Between myself and buddy (and my dog, have to give him his credit) we find 150+ sheds a year, and most, especially big sheds, are found in the thickest bedding around. We will find sme in more open transition cover and feeding areas, but most are from bedding, with many pairs being found very close to each other. Whether it is shed hunting or actual hunting, you will not have much success in areas with that much visibility. Granted I am hunting in a highly suburban area, with much smaller tracts of land (10-50 acres on average) and very high hunting pressure, so prime security cover is very limited. Its seems that that is the biggest difference between our areas, deer have to work with what cover is available.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”