Advice for hunting this farm.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Advice for hunting this farm.

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 am

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: Advice for hunting this farm.

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 am

Yellow = Bedding
Red = Stands

Most sets are used for scouting so I can hopefully pattern where a mature buck is coming out and not tip him off. Let me know what u guys think. Main thing I need to know is what winds he will be using to travel and choose his beds. Thanks guys!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 am

Can you post a topo?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am

Main thing I need to know is what winds he will be using to travel and choose his beds.

As far as general travel goes, I do not believe deer use wind in most of there traveling unless they are being followed, tracked, or there is an issue with wolves or coyotes in your area, then they like the wind to there back. Mornings are a little different. In the morning mature bucks like to enter there bedding area wind to back to smell if they are being tracked.
As far as bedding goes, most interior bedding is usually not wind specific if its in a low area. On hills, generally bedding will over look the bottom of the ridge with wind coming over the top... Field edge beds are often wind specific. Wind from the woods blowing towards the field so they can smell the woods while watching the field. I pointed a few out here with black arrows representing the wind.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:50 am

dan wrote:
Main thing I need to know is what winds he will be using to travel and choose his beds.

As far as general travel goes, I do not believe deer use wind in most of there traveling

Thanks for taking the time to look at that property Dan! I thought that mature bucks always travel quartering into the wind. Or atleast try to move into the wind. Maybe thats just during daylight? Im not sure how to get a topo map. The property is in north central Ohio so its pretty flat land.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 am

A bit of friendly advice SS7...you should consider removing all street names from the maps before posting them online, even if it is private property. You'd be surprised at what some idiots will do with a bit of info like that.

It took me exactly 16 seconds to figure out where precisely in north central Ohio this plot is and I already know where the bucks bed on your ground and where you have stands. I also see the likely trees that some of the stands are in via bing imagery - for example...the stand that is west of the two yellow dots - there is a creek right by your stand that flows through that funnel. While I am an out of state hunter, I hunt some ground west of you and some north of you (not in Morrow Co though). I'd really hate to see you experience stand theft, tresspassers, and poachers because of this minor (but huge) detail.

You can take a map open it in MS Paint and erase or paint over the names. It's for your own good.

P.S. If you got room for a few days in November, let me know..ha!
Last edited by phade on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 am

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 am

phade wrote:A bit of friendly advice SS7...you should consider removing all street names from the maps before posting them online, even if it is private property. You'd be surprised at what some idiots will do with a bit of info like that.

It took me exactly 16 seconds to figure out where precisely in north central Ohio this plot is and I already know where the bucks bed on your ground and where you have stands. I also see the likely trees that some of the stands are in via bing imagery - for example...the stand that is west of the two yellow dots - there is a creek right by your stand that flows through that funnel. While I am an out of state hunter, I hunt some ground west of you and some north of you (not in Morrow Co though). I'd really hate to see you experience stand theft, tresspassers, and poachers because of this minor (but huge) detail.

You can take a map open it in MS Paint and erase or paint over the names. It's for your own good.

P.S. If you got room for a few days in November, let me know..ha!

Phade that is a great point didnt cross my mind at the time I was just trying to get it on the site lol. So how do I delete my post?
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:31 am

You can probably edit the posts and remove the maps.

I doubt anyone here on this site would be of that low character, but if this pops up on a google search or some visitor sees it, who knows.

Looks like a fine parcel.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 am

I will remove the street names when I get home.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:55 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:
dan wrote:

As far as general travel goes, I do not believe deer use wind in most of there traveling

Thanks for taking the time to look at that property Dan! I thought that mature bucks always travel quartering into the wind. Or atleast try to move into the wind. Maybe thats just during daylight? Im not sure how to get a topo map. The property is in north central Ohio so its pretty flat land.

If bucks always quartered into the wind they would all end up walking for miles when the wind blows the same direction for several days or weeks. ;)
I have read, and I have heard people comment that deer travel in this manner, however, I learned a long time ago that deer hunting is full of myths and beliefs that are not always true, so I listen to what others have to say with an open mind, but I believe something when I see it for myself...
After a life time of chasing big bucks on pressured land, always keeping track of every mature buck sighting, I am rather positive that bucks "quartering into the wind" is more myth than fact. I have seen them circle down wind of a field or known danger area, but general movement is from bedding to food, and it don't change based on wind direction. I have seen them walking with every wind direction feasible in relation to there direction, and there is no proof of the quartering theory in regards to the hundreds of bucks I have observed...
As a matter of fact, the one thing I have noticed, is that bucks tend to be more apt to walk with the wind at there back, rather than quartering into it. Especially in Wolf country, and when they know they are being tracked.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks Dan! Ill keep that in mind in the future. Im new to this site so some things are different. Phade it is a good parcel. Hopefully get the one I found the sheds of :D
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:40 am

I blocked the road names in the aerial for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”