How many stands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

How many stands?

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

My question is for public buck bed hunters. How many steps in large public spots do you typically have? I have a couple spots that are roughly 400 to 2000 acres that I have picked out a couple spots in each. Most of mine are based on beds I am finding but others are rut spots. Just wandering if any of you have multiple setups in one area that you plan to use? Look forward to your thoughts

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
phade
500 Club

Re: How many stands?

Unread postby phade » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:03 am

I don't hunt a ton of public...usually once or twice a season. But, when I do...I almost always try to aim for three spots to hunt (with the given wind of the hunt) within the same parcel or immediate driving area.

Limiting to one spot leaves you in a world of poo if you get beat to the spot for some reason or pressure changes the situation.

Probably much hard to do when hunting buck beds rather than a rut set or travel route.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 am

The more the better. I have about 10 spots, but I hunt private more than public right now. That's going to change for me, so I need to get as many as I can find.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 am

My gps currently has over 100 waypoints for stand areas, all public and I havent added the last 50 or so more I have just found yet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 am

I have hundreds of buck beds set up.
I think its important to know where the majority of buck beds are on a given property. I wouldn't be satisfied with finding a couple good ones and moving on to the next spot. The reason for this is to really get the big picture of whats going on in any certain public area its good to know most of the buck bedding so that you can start to figure out movement patterns based on food, pressure, and timing. It will drive you nuts if a monster buck shows up and you can't find his bed to hunt. Sometimes its better to know one area very well, rather than knowing a few good spots in each area.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 am

Magic and I were talking about this one day, sort of, how many differnt trees has a guy hunted out of thru out his hunting carear.

Litterly 100's probably 250-350 different trees......and this may be light.

Back in the day, even when I would way over hunt the same stand, I would still have 8-15 different spots per year. Some would carry over from year to year others are gone because of logging. But with constantly looking for new areas a guy can really accumilate a ton of spots.

If a guy averages 10 spots a year for 30 years this is 300 spots. :shock: I am fairly confident, when back into each different areas of the state, could walk right up to most, if not all of them.

Kinda depressing because I sure as heck don't have 300 bucks on the wall. :shock: :lol:
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I posted my question wrong I think. Let's say u have a public marsh about let's say the size of 400 acres. You know that there are several good mature bucks on on this piece based on scouting. How many trees on average would you pick to hunt out of? Yes this is based on number of beds that you have found. And would you hunt this piece say one on one bed and then potentially the next week on another bed?
I reason I ask this is I have a spot that I have confirmed there are several beds and several mature bucks in. Just trying to get a feel for what would be over hunting in a spot like this and what would be the sweet spot with keeping the theme of being smart yet aggressive?
Hopefully this makes better sense and appreciate all and any advice.
Tim

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 pm

The number of beds is going to vary from area to area... If you scouted well, and you know of the majority of the buck beds, I would systematically hunt them one at a time till I have hunted them all once or killed the target buck... As you hunt them you are stacking the rest, so each hunt should get better. I would also walk areas that do not have trees and get any bucks bedded in those areas to "stack" in the spots you can hunt.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 am

A 10 acre marsh/swampy ground that i hunt early season only has one tree stand suitable tree and I can only hunt that stand with a wind that has East in it. The rest of my hunting on this property is spot/stalk style hunting (another option for you!!). I have thought about placing a tripod in the area that would increase my flexibility of locations. I would scout the property well to determine major travel trails and hang multiple stands to take into account each of those trails and wind direction (I know some don't agree that wind direction is all that important, but I still do).

Please note I only bow hunt this property. By gun season there are literally no deer to be found on this property. For the past 5-6 years others have gun hunted it and have yet to see a deer. My trail cams also validate that by the time the surrounding crops come out the deer dissappear.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”