Pass or not?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Pass or not?

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 am

I thought about this at the end of last years season (2009). I was chasing around a 150 to mid 150's Inch buck. He was a 4.5 year old 10 point. I had my chance with him on October 19th but screwed It up on what looked to be possibly a high shot. I saw him 4 more times since then and I could see exactly where my arrow hit which really didn't look that bad but definitely looked to be In the shoulder blade. Honestly the shot placement looked good enough but I'm thinking my new bigger broadheads I tried last year might have been a tad to big to penetrate the middle to higher part of the shoulder blade with my 62lb recurve. The last day I saw him was December 18th I believe, he still had his head gear. The thought then came to my mind that what If I see him again before the end of the year at 15 or so yards but this time without his antlers? I got thinking AGAIN that It sure would be nice to know to see what exactly happened with my previous shot by shooting him again without his antlers just to answer the questions that have been killing me since that day In October. Was my broadhead of choice too big or did I hit the bigger part of the shoulder blade? What would of you done If you were In my position and he showed his face again but this time without his head gear? Just so you know, this buck looked good yet on December 18th when I saw him. You could tell he was a little run down but I know that was all from him chasing doe's. Every time I saw him he was chasing or nosing the ground. He was an aggressive buck and very huntable.

To answer my question, I would've let him walk If he was sheded but I know It would've been VERY tough. If he would've looked at all unhealthy from my previous arrow then there would be no question In my mind on what needed to be done. Chances are this buck Is going to be a real stud this year. I saw him In 2008 also and let him go as a 3.5 year old 8 point. He was In that 125 to 130 inch range then. He really put on Inches with his 4th rack.

So lets hear It, what would've you done If you were put In my exact situation that I layed out late In the year?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Pass or not?

Unread postby dan » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 am

No dougbt, no antlers, I would not of shot.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 am

Same here, No shot! You seemed to have a pretty good idea how this buck uses his core area. Hopefully, you can put an arrow in him this year!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 am

If I had already picked up his matching sheds, maybe.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:25 am

let him go, he can only get bigger! and if you saw him that many times in one season, he will be back the following. and besides if you shoot him how much fun would that be to show off a big dead buck that has no horns?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 am

I'd pass unless he looked like he wouldn't make it til next season, you've got him patterned pretty well to have seen him that many times in his life, kill him this season with his headgear.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I would pass!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm

You better shoot him Steve, otherwise he'll probably just get hit by a car. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Same deer, antlers or not.

Best thing is to do what you want, good judgement is sometimes learned thru bad judgement, or reinforced by hindsight.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 06, 2010 4:16 pm

magicman54494 wrote:You better shoot him Steve, otherwise he'll probably just get hit by a car. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Ya know, this answer doesn't surprise me In the least coming from you. ;) Damn car kills are hard on me around here. :x

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”