Satellite bed solution??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JJWI

Satellite bed solution??

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am

This year I scouted a new area that I thought would hold a mature buck. I did find huge rubs from last year and could see scared up trees from years past on a transition line. Well I ended up finding his bed, but the problem is that he has multiple doe beds and smaller buck beds in the same general area. I talked to Dan to get his take on the situation and he was thinking if the deer don't run off towards the buck and alarming him I should still be in the game. Well I went out there today to pick a tree and give it a final prep. I walked one of his trails out, and I had a tree pick, then I see a doe bed on a knob off to the side. I thought "I really need to make that doe not to want to bed there" Then I came up with an idea. MAKE IT SO SHE CAN'T BED THERE!!!!!!! So I took a bunch of dead fall sticks and completely covered the bed. I went around and covered another bed that was in between the buck and the tree I was sitting.
Doe bed before Image
Bed after Image
Another bed altered Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Satellite bed solution??

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 am

Nice... I have done the same thing, but it did not cross my mind when we talked about your situation.
Way to think outside the box!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:50 am

Great idea!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am

Also, when scouting existing beds that you do want the bucks to bed in, I clear branches from them that have fallen in them. A buck won't bed on a branch, and can't move large branches. They often want the bed in an exact spot, so branches in the bed may keep them from bedding there.

One thing though, What makes you think the satellite bed is a doe? Generally single beds that are worn down are bucks.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 am

dan wrote:Also, when scouting existing beds that you do want the bucks to bed in, I clear branches from them that have fallen in them. A buck won't bed on a branch, and can't move large branches. They often want the bed in an exact spot, so branches in the bed may keep them from bedding there.

One thing though, What makes you think the satellite bed is a doe? Generally single beds that are worn down are bucks.

The area the buck is bedding is a higher knob with a couple of rubs in the bed. The other beds are much smaller and on any available knob in the area. The targeted bed is much larger and has a better advantage for watching and catching wind currents. I was just assuming the others were doe beds or smaller buck beds, either way I believe the animal I am targeting is using the higher bed. This area butts up with a nasty swamp, and is surrounded by ankle to knee deep water. So any available higher ground has a bed in it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 am

I agree the main bed is the one that the most dominant buck will likely be bedding in... The other ones sound like buck beds though, but regardless, I think you made the correct decision.
Missionman

Unread postby Missionman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 am

Good idea.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 am

Excellent example of being proactive and setting up on the bed so that YOU have an advantage during the offseason! 8-)

As Dan mentioned, I also keep my buck beds nice and cozy for the buck when I want him to continue to use it. Check out this bed on a small island in a cedar swamp, with a rub right in the bed... Look at the wooded debris surrounding the bed, it really is the only place he can lie down there without being on sticks / logs. During the off season I clear these preferred beds of any debris that may mess it up.

JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I also cleaned off his bed ;)
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

great thinking and can be used as a new way to stack...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Smart! Not a tactic you would ever see or hear about on a TV show.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Smart! Not a tactic you would ever see or hear about on a TV show.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Exactly.....they would tell you that you should never under any circumstance go near a bucks bed.....ever. :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 am

The best thing about hunting and scouting buck beds is that you see the whole picture... You know where he is coming/going and what he can see and smell. You get intamate with the animal. Its not randomly sitting on a rubline wondering if deer use it in day light.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 am

You just gave me some ideas on how to capitalize on some nice public near me. There is a nice piece that is now totally off limits to hunting, but is open to the public for bird watching, nature viewing, etc. It is adjacent to a bow only zone. I've been kinda down that it was off limits, guess now you've given me an idea of how to 'hunt' it. I need to try to spoil the buck beds in the off limits area and 'stack' em onto the bow only!

Thanks guys
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 am

I like the idea. Many times I have used brush to change a bucks route to better intercept him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”