Ever kill a buck on your second visit to the stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Ever kill a buck on your second visit to the stand?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 am

Ive heard from many of you beasts that the prime time to kill the buck you are targeting is the first time you get into the stand. I completely agree with this statement. With that said have any of you killed bucks on the second or more visits to the stand? Did you tweak anything the second time or not? I have killed bucks on second plus visits on several occasions but these are 2 or 3 year old bucks. I have noticed the biggest bucks Ive seen have been on first visits. Im assuming this is all due to scent.

WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Re: Ever kill a buck on your second visit to the stand?

Unread postby WKPTodd » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:10 am

I have several times. There are only a few days a year when big mature bucks are on their feet exploring during daylight. If you only hunt a stand once, while your chances are best killing one the first time, the stands not blown necessarily. Sometimes if I know a bucks working an area, I'll hunt the crap out of a stand if I know he could come by!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 am

Thinking back every single buck I killed was the first time hunting that particular spot that year. There are a few spots I killed more than one buck but not in the same season.

I have adjusted spots on consecutive hunts to move in on a certain buck that changed his travel pattern but it seems like by the time you do that a mature buck already is one step ahead of you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 am

I have a few times but always in rut (late Oct-Mid-Nov) on good stands where I was careful about wind, entrance, and exit.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 am

I have had action in spots previously hunted, but have noticed a significant reduction in sightings after the 1st sit... I do well sometimes on second or 3rd sits, but usually when they are a month or more after the 1st sit... Some bedding areas won't hold a buck at all part of the season. If you sit there during that time frame and then come back a month later when a buck is using it, the buck might have no idea you were ever there...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 am

dan wrote: Some bedding areas won't hold a buck at all part of the season. If you sit there during that time frame and then come back a month later when a buck is using it, the buck might have no idea you were ever there...

Great point.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 am

Yes, I kill bucks out of pre hung stands all the time.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 am

Early season hunting is kind of a double edged sword. It's good to get out and hunt, but early is when the deer can pattern the hunter the easiest. If you bugger a buck on a bed in Sept/Oct your 2nd chances of seeing that buck are much less than if you bugger a buck in November during the rut. Multiple reasons for this. More hunters in the woods in November keeps bucks ping ponged. And early season bucks stick to patterns more so are easier to bugger. I have killed bucks on the same stand after the first time hunting the stand many times. I will add I never sit the same stand on consecutive days. I also like to alternate areas hunted. So I'm not pounding one area hard. My tactics are geared up for second chances with minimal intrusion.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:37 am

Stanley wrote:I also like to alternate areas hunted. So I'm not pounding one area hard. My tactics are geared up for second chances with minimal intrusion.

Thats why I want to start hunting public land and MFL more often so the home farm doesnt get as much pressure by the 4 of us hunters on it.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am

i always start with stands near the egde {closest} and move my way in deeper and deeper each sit. i dont ever come back to a certain area i already hunted til november if at all. so to answer the question, i have killed one buck on a second visit.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 am

I have killed several mature bucks out of pre-hung stands that were not the first time of the year that I hunted them. This last year the buck I killed was on the 3rd time I hunted that stand and we moved that stand 50 yards over from a previous stand that we had also hunted 2 or 3 times and that is all in a week. I also killed a mature giant 6 out of a stand that I had sat in multiple times that year before I killed him and after I killed him my uncle sat in that stand and killed a 3.5, really that year we should have killed 3 bucks out of the same stand (2 being mature and 1 a 3.5), the first night I hunted that stand I missed a giant 8.

Most of my hunting is done during the rut though, so although I maybe set up close to a buck bedding area, most of the time I'm set up on top of him. I'm also using the fact that they are going to move more during that time of year to help me. I think a huge factor in this that dictates how many good times you can hunt the same stand in a year is access in & out of the stand and how well you can play the wind in that stand location. Just about all of my stands that I've killed bucks after the first time hunting that stand are stands where I have good or great access and where I can play the wind to really minimize my impact in that area. Take the stand where I killed the giant 6, I would walk in the sand on the edge of river most of the way to the stand then climb up the bank and into the woods about 40 yards to an awesome pinch spot and if the wind was out of the S it would blow my scent only 40 yards and then to the river, so I was only contaminating 40 yards of woods the entire time I was in the stand and walking to it, very low impact. Due to where I walked in those 40 yards and what the terrain did not many deer walked there, so it was literally a killer set up!!!
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:21 am

It was October 24th 2007, my 2nd hunt of the year and 2nd straight sit on the same exact stand back to back evenings. I saw this buck the night before but was 30 yards south of me too far. The next day I brought my rattling antlers with. I rattled 1.5 hours before dark and out he came from his bedding area. The rest was history. He was all of 4.5 years old, dressed out at 210lbs.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 am

rudy78 wrote:I have killed several mature bucks out of pre-hung stands that were not the first time of the year that I hunted them. This last year the buck I killed was on the 3rd time I hunted that stand and we moved that stand 50 yards over from a previous stand that we had also hunted 2 or 3 times and that is all in a week. I also killed a mature giant 6 out of a stand that I had sat in multiple times that year before I killed him and after I killed him my uncle sat in that stand and killed a 3.5, really that year we should have killed 3 bucks out of the same stand (2 being mature and 1 a 3.5), the first night I hunted that stand I missed a giant 8.

Most of my hunting is done during the rut though, so although I maybe set up close to a buck bedding area, most of the time I'm set up on top of him. I'm also using the fact that they are going to move more during that time of year to help me. I think a huge factor in this that dictates how many good times you can hunt the same stand in a year is access in & out of the stand and how well you can play the wind in that stand location. Just about all of my stands that I've killed bucks after the first time hunting that stand are stands where I have good or great access and where I can play the wind to really minimize my impact in that area. Take the stand where I killed the giant 6, I would walk in the sand on the edge of river most of the way to the stand then climb up the bank and into the woods about 40 yards to an awesome pinch spot and if the wind was out of the S it would blow my scent only 40 yards and then to the river, so I was only contaminating 40 yards of woods the entire time I was in the stand and walking to it, very low impact. Due to where I walked in those 40 yards and what the terrain did not many deer walked there, so it was literally a killer set up!!!

Good informative post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 am

Schultzy wrote:It was October 24th 2007, my 2nd hunt of the year and 2nd straight sit on the same exact stand back to back evenings. I saw this buck the night before but was 30 yards south of me too far. The next day I brought my rattling antlers with. I rattled 1.5 hours before dark and out he came from his bedding area. The rest was history. He was all of 4.5 years old, dressed out at 210lbs.

Nice buck for sure. Stealth pays off.
Bowman81

Unread postby Bowman81 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:58 am

Our camp has killed bucks out of the same stand before. One in the morning, another that evening with a different hunter in the same stand and a third a few days later. Only two were mature bucks.

The stand hasn't produced a mature buck since then, but I did see a nice 2 1/2 yr. old 8 pt. last year. He was just out of bow range.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”