My home county is absolutely terrible

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

My home county is absolutely terrible

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 am

Take a look at this map. I live in centre county pa, which means take pa, find that county dead center, north to south and east to west, thats me.

This is what I constantly have to elude too when everyone says that pa is a sleeper state for big bucks. The big bucks follow the river system/city sanctuaries/swamps in pa which limit access in one form or another. My hopes of killing a P&Y or B&C buck in my home county are about rock bottom and would explain why I have seen 4 on the hoof in home territory in my whole career.

QDMAMAN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1413515247

Re: My home county is absolutely terrible

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:12 am

When I'm working a QDMA booth I like to prominately display this poster in the booth.
Then I like to point to the boundary between Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan and ask passers by why they beleive there is such a stark contrast. The answers are so good I should write a book. :lol:
"Education is important, but goin' huntin' is importanter." - Earl Dibble Jr.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am

I keep having to remind myself that I'm lucky to live where I do. (SE WI) There are some monsters around here and in WI in general....you just gota find where they live.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am

Interesting, I never realized the difference at the Wis-UP Michigan border. Is it actually less Booners shot or less hunting pressure and fewer reported? We know there are big ones in the UP! Since I live in Wis, according to the map, should be able to shoot a Booner off my back porch just about anywhere! lol
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:30 am

QDMAMAN wrote:When I'm working a QDMA booth I like to prominately display this poster in the booth.
Then I like to point to the boundary between Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan and ask passers by why they beleive there is such a stark contrast. The answers are so good I should write a book. :lol:

Share a few with us
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am

If I had this map about 10 years ago I would probably be with a different woman lol. I had one whos family was in the core of the big bucks and I walked away
QDMAMAN

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:46 am

[offtopic]
jlh42581 wrote:Share a few with us
[/offtopic]

1) Soil type (as if a man made boundary dictated soil type) :roll:
2) Those guys in the UP shoot Booners every year but keep them a secret to keep trolls and cheese heads away.
3) Wolves! (as if wolves recognize state lines)
4) cougars (my favorite) cougars always target mature bucks. Everybody knows that!
5) UP winters are harsher.
Last edited by QDMAMAN on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

I hear ya, I live in the pinky of Michigans mitten and as you can see there are no bright colors on that map around my area...as far as the UP, I can positively say it is skewed by people not entering the deer they shoot, I know of enough "book" deer shot in one area in particular to make that map change color in a hurry :D
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:50 am

I wish #2 was the case.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 am

QDMAMAN wrote:[offtopic]
jlh42581 wrote:Share a few with us
[/offtopic]

1) Soil type (as if a man made boundary dictated soil type) :roll:
2) Those guys in the UP shoot Booners every year but keep them a secret to keep trolls and cheese heads away.
3) Wolves! (as if wolves recognize state lines)
4) cougars (my favorite) cougars always target mature bucks. Everybody knows that!

That is a pretty good list. Did you know that PA is a big buck sleeper state with 51% of its yearly harvest of bucks being 1.5 years old
QDMAMAN

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

[offtopic]
jlh42581 wrote:That is a pretty good list. Did you know that PA is a big buck sleeper state with 51% of its yearly harvest of bucks being 1.5 years old
[/offtopic]

I'd kill for a 51% 1.5 yop harvest rate in Michigan, ours is 57% statewide and 64% in the southern lower peninsula.
While PA may not be what you would consider a "sleeper state" it HAS grown in leaps and bounds since PA implimented APR and shifted it's antlerless season up.
Check this out....
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2 ... -30-years/
QDMAMAN

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 am

[offtopic]
G3s wrote:I hear ya, I live in the pinky of Michigans mitten and as you can see there are no bright colors on that map around my area...as far as the UP, I can positively say it is skewed by people not entering the deer they shoot, I know of enough "book" deer shot in one area in particular to make that map change color in a hurry :D
[/offtopic]

Ah yes, Leelanau County.
While there may not be a run on Booners anytime soon the possibilities of Popes is increasing with every passing season since the implimentation of MARs.
Look to see the surrounding 12 Counties going to MARs in the 2013 season if the survey passes muster.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am

I live in a big ole white spot on the map too. Eastern NY, it sucks for deer....Actually NY sucks in general. :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 am

G3s wrote:I hear ya, I live in the pinky of Michigans mitten and as you can see there are no bright colors on that map around my area...as far as the UP, I can positively say it is skewed by people not entering the deer they shoot, I know of enough "book" deer shot in one area in particular to make that map change color in a hurry :D

Every places results are skewed with people not entering... Plenty of guys in Wisconsin don't enter too. The reason the color scheme changes when you cross the border has little to do with people not entering them in the books if you ask me... It has more to do with bad management.
QDMAMAN

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am

dan wrote: Every places results are skewed with people not entering... Plenty of guys in Wisconsin don't enter too. The reason the color scheme changes when you cross the border has little to do with people not entering them in the books if you ask me... It has more to do with bad management.

Bingo Dan!
While I'm not prone to throw our MDNR under the bus, we are way behind the curve when it comes to progressive 21st century deer management.
Our deer season opens EVERY YEAR on Nov. 15th, come or high water. While Wis. opens the Saturday after ours. Also in Wisconsin hunters are allowed 2 bucks, 1 in archery and one in firearm. Michigan has the "combo tag" which allows 2 bucks that can be killed in any and all seasons but 1 has to have at least 4 on one side. THis creates what we (progressives) refer to as the "mulligan effect" where a hunter will kill the first bone they see then hunt the rest of the year for "the biggun". If a guy were to kill a 1.5 yo fork horn on our archery opener (Oct. 1st) under a OBR or Wis regs, he'd be done for the season or until firearms season at best. Not many archery hunters would forgo the chance to hunt the rut in early Nov. for a sparky, but some would, and that's their choice.

I'll also add that I believe it's MORE likely that Booners go unreported in the traditional "BIG BUCK" states like KS, IA, NE, IL, etc. Many a time I've had friends return to Michigan with reports of Booners (plural) nailed to the barn wall of some farm they hunted in BFE KS.

Big T

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”