Doe or buck beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Doe or buck beds?

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 am

Yesterday my 4 year old daughter and I went out and did a walk through looking for sheds and doing some scouting In the woods I hunt. When talking buck beds I've heard people say on here (might have been you Dan but not sure) that a buck bed will have hair In It. I found 4 beds with In 15 yards of each other that had hair In them. No rubs In any of these beds. I've jumped doe's In this area before that were bedded.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Doe or buck beds?

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 am

Schultzy wrote:Yesterday my 4 year old daughter and I went out and did a walk through looking for sheds and doing some scouting In the woods I hunt. When talking buck beds I've heard people say on here (might have been you Dan but not sure) that a buck bed will have hair In It. I found 4 beds with In 15 yards of each other that had hair In them. No rubs In any of these beds. I've jumped doe's In this area before that were bedded.

All beds will have hair in them... Its more the lay out of the beds that determines buck or doe... Rubs in the beds or very close ( but not on skirting trails) are a dead give away, but are not always present. And don't disregard old rubs as a determination.
Buck beds are in specific spots for specific reasons, doe beds are a little more "haphazard" but placed in conjunction with other doe beds in an effort to work together... Sometimes they share the same areas.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 am

dan wrote:
Schultzy wrote:Yesterday my 4 year old daughter and I went out and did a walk through looking for sheds and doing some scouting In the woods I hunt. When talking buck beds I've heard people say on here (might have been you Dan but not sure) that a buck bed will have hair In It. I found 4 beds with In 15 yards of each other that had hair In them. No rubs In any of these beds. I've jumped doe's In this area before that were bedded.

All beds will have hair in them... Its more the lay out of the beds that determines buck or doe... Rubs in the beds or very close ( but not on skirting trails) are a dead give away, but are not always present. And don't disregard old rubs as a determination.
Buck beds are in specific spots for specific reasons, doe beds are a little more "haphazard" but placed in conjunction with other doe beds in an effort to work together... Sometimes they share the same areas.
I'd bet these were doe beds then. Kinda figured they were as I've jumped doe's In and around this thick bedding before. Just figured I'd ask anyway. There was more hair In these beds then I've ever saw before. I suppose they bedded In these spots all winter and the hair accumulated.

Thanks Dan.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 am

There was more hair In these beds then I've ever saw before. I suppose they bedded In these spots all winter and the hair accumulated.

Actually they just started shedding there winter coat and thats why your starting to see a lot of hair in current beds. They are loosing so much now that you actually see hair all along the deer trails if you look close.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 am

This is an excellent time of year to find buck beds... the shedding of the winter coats can put so much hair in the bed it makes it a snap to locate the exact position of the beds within the area. I have spent time in half a dozen different buck beds in the last two days, including some mature bucks, and the beds are just loaded with hair right now. 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:08 am

Great Info guys, makes sense. Thanks!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 am

Great information for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:52 am

Ive noticed alot of hair in the beds Ive found lately as well. Interesting topic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”