I FOUND an old friend...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: I FOUND an old friend...

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm

The buck in my avatar pic scores 113". I'd say he's a little more than 100 inches...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Stu, What makes you think your arrow had nothing to do with the deer dying? I think YOU killed it. It's not that fresh where it just died, it has been dead for a while. If it was frozen, or real cold, it could remain in that decayed state for quite a while. Where did you think you hit him?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 am

Forget the score, that thing is a beauty. 8-)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Spysar wrote:Stu, What makes you think your arrow had nothing to do with the deer dying? I think YOU killed it. It's not that fresh where it just died, it has been dead for a while. If it was frozen, or real cold, it could remain in that decayed state for quite a while. Where did you think you hit him?

Spysar I shot him on the 3 or 4th of November and found him on monday...would there still be some fur and flesh on the head for that long??? You definitely know your whitetails more than I do...

There has been hot weather here for about 3 weeks now and today there were some BUDS on the trees...that warm :?

I think I hit the buck near the front leg and very in his mid section :?
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:09 pm

****hit the buck near the front leg and very low****
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Stuart wrote:
Spysar wrote:Stu, What makes you think your arrow had nothing to do with the deer dying? I think YOU killed it. It's not that fresh where it just died, it has been dead for a while. If it was frozen, or real cold, it could remain in that decayed state for quite a while. Where did you think you hit him?

Spysar I shot him on the 3 or 4th of November and found him on monday...would there still be some fur and flesh on the head for that long??? You definitely know your whitetails more than I do...

There has been hot weather here for about 3 weeks now and today there were some BUDS on the trees...that warm :?

I think I hit the buck near the front leg and very low in his mid section :?

Do you think it is possible that the injury eventually killed him later from infection or maybe the hit was better than you thought? Like Spysar said, if he did die in late November froze and was not eaten up right away by scavengers it might look like he died recently.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Cool you found it!

Did you end up using your tag on another?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Stuart,
I agree with Spy, the deer likely died as a result of your arrow. It may have taken a while to die, but the decomposing amount looks about right. Pretty cold up there in Canada. The 9 pointer I shot with gun has been laying out in the yard ( the head with antlers ) since November and Rat Slayer just cut the antlers off a couple weeks ago. Its in better condition than yours lying in the direct sun.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 am

How is the simmering going? I hate to do these, they are kind of disgusting but they do turn out nice in the end. It is hard to get them super white if your in a hurry, if you have the time if you let it degrease for weeks, thats the best. A lot of guys have aquarium heaters to use instead of the hot plate, they can get an electricity bill up there in a hurry. The other option would be maceration, that is where you rot the meat off in a bucket of water over the course of weeks/months. This will give you the best results but takes a long time and really stinks too (best to do away from the house). That is the way most museums want their skulls/bones cleaned because it is so effective. I have to do a buck for a guy I know who was shot in 2010 and still has the cape attached and all skin/meat. I am SO looking forward to that!
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:27 am

It kinda sucks that I couldn't have wrapped my tag around this buck and I feel even worse now thinking he may have taken a long time to die :?

Also I found this buck in really thick pines so he was out of the sun for the most part...

I never wrapped my tag around another buck(passed on a small one at 15 yards with the shotgun) and if I shot the one in the picture I wouldn't have had to hunt in the horrible late season conditions :lol: but that is half the fun.

Brad I will start today because I was busy this week and will keep you posted on my progress...thanks
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:28 pm

106 inches
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am

I would say yourr arrow killed him and probrably a lot faster than you think. Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone.

Would say he tapes up a around 105". Throw the tape on him and let us know.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”