Met a new hunter today

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Met a new hunter today

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 am

I was in a meeting today, it was with my new web designer, and the conversation turned to hunting. Imagine that.

Here sat a 26 year old web designer who just started deer hunting 2 years ago. The other gentlemen in the room did not hunt and did not like guns (I wasn't offended, still a nice guy). I thought it was so cool to hear him speak. You could see the excitement in him as he talked of taking 3 deer in his last 2 seasons and start showing me pics off his phone. Last year he shot a 230 pound 5 point. He hit it in the neck with a single shot 12 gauge at about 85 yards.

So I asked him a couple questions and we got back to the meeting.

I don't know why I get so excited over this. I like more hunters not less; I like to know what made that person finally get involved; I like to see someone else stepping up and helping us conserve (hunting is conservation).

I know we have some great deer hunters on this site and often we get tactical discussions that are so far beyond most hunters (but great nonetheless) that new hunters can't add to. Heck I add very little to the hardcore tactics, mostly just read them. But what I am trying to say is that hunting is so much more than trophy hunting, and new hunters are just good to see.

So what do you all think of new hunters created out of thin air?

Good for hunting?, or just one more person crowding the woods?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Met a new hunter today

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 am

Share the love... To me more is better. I don't care what, or how they hunt, just like to see more hunters.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

I hear ya!

I work at an archery pro shop and one thing that I always found exciting was watching fathers come in and buy their kids their first bow. Most of the time the parents are more excited than the kids but its still cool to see. I love seeing kids get into hunting because it really keeps them out of trouble and on the right track.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am

dan wrote:Share the love... To me more is better. I don't care what, or how they hunt, just like to see more hunters.

x2 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm

dan wrote:Share the love... To me more is better. I don't care what, or how they hunt, just like to see more hunters.

Its true. We get mad when people who hunt differently ruin or mess up our hunt. But that's small fish. More people getting into hunting and new hunters popping out of thin air is big fish. Good fish LOL.

I know of about 5the guys my age that I went to highschool that are now obsessed with bowhunting. Pretty sure I recall 2 of them making comments about how I was a weirdo and cruel for killing deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Great thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 pm

I tutored a kid (have an education degree) who had severe learning disabilities common today...ADD/ADHD, spells poorly, can't take tests in a typical environment, etc. His parents believed in me as their final option to get this kid, then in 10th grade...to graduate high school. The high school actually suggested he drop out and go after a GED to pursuse a trade skill at some point...they actually told the parents he would not graduate (both parents were teachers themselves). They thought an outside influence would help. I got hold of him late into his 10th grade year, and he was destined to fail it. He passed a few Regents exams (state required exams) after a few tutoring sessions....parents were stoked.

About six months in...he asked me to teach him how to hunt...totally out of the blue as nobody in his family hunted. His parents did not hunt but 100 percent supported it. I said sure....and it became a goal step in step with his education. If he did well in a session, we'd chat hunting. Boy, did that ever work. Not only did he graduate...but he got a college degree. His parents cried at graduation.

He's become my hunting partner now. I've watched him go from a greenhorn, to taking his first deer with a gun, to starting to routinely knock deer down with precision and understanding of deer behaviors. He's 22 now and growing up fast.

I'm a humble person in life. My grandfather taught me that. But, one thing I'll take to the grave, is changing that kid's life for the better drastically...and hunting was a major contributor to it. He's helped me grow, too.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="phade"]I tutored a kid (have an education degree) who had severe learning disabilities common today...ADD/ADHD, spells poorly, can't take tests in a typical environment, etc. His parents believed in me as their final option to get this kid, then in 10th grade...to graduate high school. The high school actually suggested he drop out and go after a GED to pursuse a trade skill at some point...they actually told the parents he would not graduate (both parents were teachers themselves). They thought an outside influence would help. I got hold of him late into his 10th grade year, and he was destined to fail it. He passed a few Regents exams (state required exams) after a few tutoring sessions....parents were stoked.

About six months in...he asked me to teach him how to hunt...totally out of the blue as nobody in his family hunted. His parents did not hunt but 100 percent supported it. I said sure....and it became a goal step in step with his education. If he did well in a session, we'd chat hunting. Boy, did that ever work. Not only did he graduate...but he got a college degree. His parents cried at graduation.

He's become my hunting partner now. I've watched him go from a greenhorn, to taking his first deer with a gun, to starting to routinely knock deer down with precision and understanding of deer behaviors. He's 22 now and growing up fast.

I'm a humble person in life. My grandfather taught me that. But, one thing I'll take to the grave, is changing that kid's life for the better drastically...and hunting was a major contributor to it. He's helped me grow, too.[/quote great story!!!]

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 pm

phade that was an awesome read.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Great story!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 pm

:clap: :clap:
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 pm

The more enthusiastic hunters there are young and old the better! Phade that is really a great story! Positively influencing young people is what it is all bout! Kudo's to you!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Great post Phade! I can relate somewhat.

Im a young guy myself but I have had the opportunity 2 years ago to help out a youngster learn how to turkey hunt. He was my brothers girlfriends little brother and his dad wasnt around. He wanted to learn to hunt turkey and I was reccomended by others to help him. We didnt get a turkey that year but just to see the sparkle in his eyes when he heard a gobble was a rush to me. As far as Ive heard he is still chasing turkies and bucks. It feels good to be a part of that. It could have been anybody helping him out but I was blessed to be given the offer.

I think new hunters are what the backbone of hunting really is. Im sure there are some disagreements but thats my opinion. There is a current decline in younger hunters from what Ive heard in class a week ago over the past 5 years.

Great Thread!
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

phade wrote:I tutored a kid (have an education degree) who had severe learning disabilities common today...ADD/ADHD, spells poorly, can't take tests in a typical environment, etc. His parents believed in me as their final option to get this kid, then in 10th grade...to graduate high school. The high school actually suggested he drop out and go after a GED to pursuse a trade skill at some point...they actually told the parents he would not graduate (both parents were teachers themselves). They thought an outside influence would help. I got hold of him late into his 10th grade year, and he was destined to fail it. He passed a few Regents exams (state required exams) after a few tutoring sessions....parents were stoked.

I'm a humble person in life. My grandfather taught me that. But, one thing I'll take to the grave, is changing that kid's life for the better drastically...and hunting was a major contributor to it. He's helped me grow, too.

Phase thank you for sharing this awesome story

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

phade wrote:I tutored a kid (have an education degree) who had severe learning disabilities common today...ADD/ADHD, spells poorly, can't take tests in a typical environment, etc. His parents believed in me as their final option to get this kid, then in 10th grade...to graduate high school. The high school actually suggested he drop out and go after a GED to pursuse a trade skill at some point...they actually told the parents he would not graduate (both parents were teachers themselves). They thought an outside influence would help. I got hold of him late into his 10th grade year, and he was destined to fail it. He passed a few Regents exams (state required exams) after a few tutoring sessions....parents were stoked.

Awesome story man thanks for sharing......... 8-)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”