white oaks or red oaks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: white oaks or red oaks?

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I only plant white oak varieties.

huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 am

White oaks hands down....the deer iv seen walk past reds to get whites
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 am

I agree with everyone else here white oaks are much more preferred. If you ever tasted whites vs red you'll agree too. Reds suck up the moisture in your mouth while whites are more sweet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

I've bookmarked this thread. Great real life info on how to use oaks in your hunting. Anybody reading these words should go back and re read the whole thread to let it sink in.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I know of friends who have killed really nice bucks early season under white oak trees. Passing by red oak to get to it.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 am

White oaks for sure but red oaks produce more acorns than white oaks. On average, most oak species produce an abundant acorn crop once every three to five years. If you have a season when weather is not ideal for pollinating it can really affect the Whites more than other oaks. The thing about oaks is the acorn production can be spotty. Just as previously said they will eat the reds but find some whites producing and all critters will be there.
Whisky, wine and brandy are aged in oak specific barrels; different type oak barrels will change flavor. Taste them, I did, the acorns not the bourbon!!!!!!!!!

Most times after I harvest any deer I will check the stomach after field dressing. I take a stick and break the stomach open. You will find exactly what they have been eating. Sounds crazy; I might be a redneck!!!!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:37 am

oneflag wrote:Most times after I harvest any deer I will check the stomach after field dressing. I take a stick and break the stomach open. You will find exactly what they have been eating. Sounds crazy; I might be a redneck!!!!!!!!!!

I must be a redneck too because I do the same thing!! :lol:
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 am

White oaks are preferential as mentioned because of the tannins in reds.

I'm in heavy ag land...when the white oak crop is poor but not non-existant...the hunting tends to be better. Deer gravitate to the producing trees like moths to a flame. Much easier than when every white in the area has a bumper crop.

Another thing that my grandfather swore by, and I have seen some support of, was lightly fertilizing a lone healthy oak tree in a particular stand and making sure that tree was released/had sufficient sun. Deer somehow will know this and pick off these acorns before other trees...same deal...they'll walk right by others to get to these ones first.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 am

phade wrote:White oaks are preferential as mentioned because of the tannins in reds.

I'm in heavy ag land...when the white oak crop is poor but not non-existant...the hunting tends to be better. Deer gravitate to the producing trees like moths to a flame. Much easier than when every white in the area has a bumper crop.

Another thing that my grandfather swore by, and I have seen some support of, was lightly fertilizing a lone healthy oak tree in a particular stand and making sure that tree was released/had sufficient sun. Deer somehow will know this and pick off these acorns before other trees...same deal...they'll walk right by others to get to these ones first.

Your grandfather is right. I have a theory I think is true. Have you every noticed the trees that grow along the country roads? Notice how heavy the squirrels cut the trees. I feel these trees get more light and also water than trees in the deep woods. Light is good, just like growing tomatoes or grapes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”