Kansas Bowhunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Kansas Bowhunters

Unread postby keb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:01 am

Kansas needs your help. Please email the following persons and express your concerns.

Kansas’ general bowhunting season is in jeopardy. The State Senate is presently entertaining a crossbow bill. On Friday of this week, the Senate Committee on Natural Resources will have a hearing on SB380. From there it could go to the floor of the State Senate and, if passed, will lead to the destruction of bowhunting as you know it.

Senate Bill 380 would allow the legalization of crossbows in ALL open bowhunting-only seasons, as reported to us by your state bowhunting organization, KBA.

Bowhunting needs your help! Act now! Please take just a few minutes of your time today to help preserve Kansas’ bowhunting heritage!

EMAIL AND/OR CALL YOUR STATE SENATORS to voice your opposition to this radical change in the longstanding, successful and accepted definition of archery equipment in Kansas.

ACT NOW!

ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

Kansas Senate Committee on Natural Resources

Ralph.Ostmeyer@senate.ks.gov

Carolyn.McGinn@senate.ks.gov

Marci.Francisco@senate.ks.gov

Steve.Abrams@senate.ks.gov

Terry.Bruce@senate.ks.gov

Garrett.Love@senate.ks.gov

Steve.Morris@senate.ks.gov

Mary.PilcherCook@senate.ks.gov

Allen.Schmidt@senate.ks.gov

Mark.Taddiken@senate.ks.gov

Ruth.Teichman@senate.ks.gov

The Pope and Young Club, the Kansas Bowhunters Association, as well as 66 state/provincial level bowhunting organizations in North America, are ALL opposed to the use of crossbows in archery-only seasons by able-bodied persons. The bowhunters of Kansas are not asking for this radical change. This is driven by the crossbow industry and is purely about MONEY and CROSSBOW SALES.

keb
500 Club

Re: Kansas Bowhunters

Unread postby keb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:19 am

And on a side note, from the research I have done, if your state does not already allow them then they will eventually lobby for it there, I understand Minnesota is going thru it now but have a better handle on it. So act now if you ever want to do a DIY bow hunt in Kansas in the future, send some emails, with what Little public they do have will be even more crowded.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:02 am

I don't quite understand, how will crossbows ruin bowhunting?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 am

I understand your fears keb. Since cross bows were legalized during the regular bow season there has been a big increase in hunting pressure locally and I have had a hard time even seeing a deer while hunting. Most of the guys I talked to that hunt with cross bows are cross overs from gun hunting. It's still in it's infancy here, but it's growing by leaps and bounds. If I were you I would expect the legislation to pass because the politicians see $$. However, I don't think it will affect your hunting the way I expect it eventually will here because you have far fewer hunters. We have 350,000+ bow hunters. Combine that with about 750,000 gun hunters and we have over 850,000 deer hunters (most hunt with both bow and gun). Bottom line... good or bad, cross bows are here to stay and coming to your state eventually. It's money for the government and cross bows are just to effective a weapon not to have a lot of people clamoring for them. Not getting busted drawing your bow and being able to use a rest like a gun make it a very effective hunting tool.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 am

Southern Man wrote:I don't quite understand, how will crossbows ruin bowhunting?

X2.

Why stop at crossbows? Maybe we should try and push compounds out and just use real bows during the archery season.
Last edited by Autumn Ninja on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:36 am

Nebraska bowed to the crossbow lobby last year or the year before. I am confused how allowing crossbows during the bowhunting seasons with ruin hunting? I personally have never seen a crossbow hunter, and I saw zero difference after allowing crossbows.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 am

I believe there is a big differance between a x-bow and a hand drawn/held bow.

That being said, I am not in favor of x-bows as archery equipment.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Southern Man wrote:I don't quite understand, how will crossbows ruin bowhunting?

X2.

Why stop at crossbows? Maybe we should try and push compounds out and just use real bows during the archery season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The PSE Tach 15 is capable of 1the inch groups at 100 yards....how is that bowhunting?
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 am

The mentality of "most" (not all) crossbow hunters is in line with the orange army way of thinking. If allowed, you will be sharing the woods with these types of mind sets the entire bow season. The last thing we need is more pressure during the already crowded bow season.

I do NOT support cross-guns in archery unless one is no longer able to pull a regular bow. And if that is the case, you can already get a permit to hunt with such a weapon.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:

X2.

Great idea Ninja! I would also be fine with this! :dance:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Dor wrote:The mentality of "most" (not all) crossbow hunters is in line with the orange army way of thinking. If allowed, you will be sharing the woods with these types of mind sets the entire bow season. The last thing we need is more pressure during the already crowded bow season.

I do NOT support cross-guns in archery unless one is no longer able to pull a regular bow. And if that is the case, you can already get a permit to hunt with such a weapon.

I completely disagree with the use of crossbows during the bowhunting seasons unless handicapped, etc. But, I still fail to see how crossbow hunters will "ruin hunting." There are slob hunters for every weapon choice, and any claim that a higher percentage of slobs populate the orange army or crossbow hunters is merely anecdotal. If us hunters do not stand on common ground and stop condemning eachother, PETA, HSUS, and the like will succeed in dividing and conquering.

I do know that in Nebraska the use of crossbows has not amounted to more than a hill of beans.
"In the deed, the glory"
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Take it how you want if you care about bow hunting send your concern, the residents of Kansas, the non residents of Kansas did not push for this, it politicians and the x bows manufactures doing such. They are season for the x bows and that's where they need to stay in my opinion. Next thing it will be rifle during the rut.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:00 am

GRFox wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:

X2.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The PSE Tach 15 is capable of 1the inch groups at 100 yards....how is that bowhunting?

I have no idea GR, your asking the wrong guy.

I have a remington model 700, 22-250 that shoots 1 inch groups at 500 yards....how is that gun hunting? Some people even hunt areas that have over 50 deer per square mile...how is that even deer hunting? Again, I dont have the answers.

Back in the 70's, guys where all up tight about compound bows....these bow's would shoot 1 inch groups at 30 yards (in the right hands)...and they said, how is that bowhunting? (just like you are saying now).

The tach 15 is awesome and I want one bad. I already have two AR's I can use for the lower...ya, Im getting one, not to hunt with, but "just because"...if you know what I mean.

I'm actually building a home made self bow to deer hunt with this year....But I will support you and what ever you chose to hunt with.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 am

keb wrote: Next thing it will be rifle during the rut.

We have that already.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 am

the old crossbow debate, the antis recent favorite way to divide hunters. I really think game managers are using the crossbow as a recruitment and harvest tool, I don't think their is a conspiracy part to it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”