Marsh land Aerial with Islands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Marsh land Aerial with Islands

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:12 pm

This is a post about a piece of public I scouted last winter. I will scout it again in a couple weeks. I labeled in the photo the islands circled in yellow. Trails in Red, beds in orange and potential hunting spots in pink. I have found rubs on the islands making me believe bucks are bedding there. Also where the three trails cross, I have found alot of rubs and scrapes there as well. The field is about 100 feet higher than the marsh with a good drop off.

Ive heard Dan talk about hunting the transition lines. But the beds on the big island are about 150-200 yards in the marsh from the wood line. Im not quite where to set up, Im thinking the bucks wont hit the transition line until after dark due to being so far in the marsh?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Marsh land Aerial with Islands

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:16 pm

The map is in North pointing up South pointing down format. I was thinking hunting these spots with a SW or West wind. Entry from the field.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 am

Its hard for me to tell, but could you hunt on the island. Are the trees big enough? I think the spots you picked seem good, but I would consider if I could get closer.

Ive heard Dan talk about hunting the transition lines. But the beds on the big island are about 150-200 yards in the marsh from the wood line

The island is acting as the transition line.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 am

Thanks Dan, I didnt think about the island being a transition line. Is it just the change in habitat structure?

Also, yes the island does have some good sized trees. If I remember right I believe some oak trees.
Its very thick on the island with brush as well. However there are a few clearings.

I just hope I can get to the island without making too much noise that would scare them away. I guess thats part of the fun of it!

Im assuming to set up right on the edge of the island where the transition is? I plan on hunting this in the early season, but like Ive heard you say Dan, the islands are good to hunt during the rut when human pressure picks up.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 am

Also, Im going to use humans to my advantage. There is a parking lot just to the Southwest of the island which I decided to cut out of the pic, about 200 yards with thick marsh nobody hunts or walks through it. With a Southwest or West wind I would think a buck would bed there for sure being able to scent if someone is coming. Humans are very predictable on this piece of land. Ive never seen anyone parked where I plan to access. They all park in the same spot. The hunters all hunt the big rubs and scrapes in the woodlands to the west yet I believe these are made at night.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:31 am

Dan has also said that islands with oaks are very productive early season. Due to the acorns dropping.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Bobby G
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:32 pm

straitnarrow wrote:Dan has also said that islands with oaks are very productive early season. Due to the acorns dropping.

Correct... Some of my best island sits have been opening week of good acorn years.
Also keep in mind that it will be hard to get a deer to leave that island in daylight if there are acorns on it.
I would not set up on the island transition, but rather near acorns or where they stage out of the bedding.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will wait for a good wind from the southwest/west to make my entry. Then sit over the oak trees and or staging area from bed. Im giong to have to think about how high or low I should go. We will see about that. For now I have to find a tree to put the stand in.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Good luck! It sounds promising and keep all of us updated after your hunt.

Bobby G
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:43 pm

X2 keep us posted

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:25 pm

I still have a lot of scouting to do on this piece but I will keep you updated. Im thinking of taking a look at it tomorrow if the weather is nice. Also, If I do go I will take pics.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Again keep us updated and good luck. Just don't spend to much time scouting that one spot. Remember to look for more and you don't want to let him know your already junting him.

Bobby G
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I went out and scouted it today taking lots of pics which I will post in about an hour or two. I found a some really good sign and planned my entry/exit and I have the kill tree narrowed down. I found a good bed, however I didnt find any rubs which concerns me. More to come later on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”