Rubber boots........ why ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Rubber boots........ why ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 am

I hear of alot of guys wearing the rubber boots to the woods....
Maybe this is a dumb question on my part, but I have to ask, what makes them any different than a pair of leather work boots with rubber soles ?
Do the shoe strings carry scent on them from your hands ? or are you trying to keep your scent from leaving the boots because they are usually the taller version and you can tuck your pants into them ?

Just wondering what the main reason is for wearing rubber boots ? I mean, I do it too, but I guess I do, because it seems like almost everyone wears them. Does it really help scent related, or is easier to walk through the brush and crap with them ?

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Rubber boots........ why ?

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 am

Water issues, I like to walk up small creeks when possible. Less noise, less ground scent
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:35 am

jlh42581 wrote:Water issues, I like to walk up small creeks when possible. Less noise, less ground scent

Ok, I get the water issue, I don't have to deal with that much in hill country.....

but why " less ground scent " ?
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 am

I find rubber boots offer me more than leather laces ups in msot instances; however, I wear an old fashioned hunting boot in some sets.

First, they are easy to slip on versus having to lace up each time, which is a big deal since I typically dress once I reach my hunting location. On day 7 or so of my annual two week vacation, lacing boots in the dark and cold gets annoying. I find they are more comfortable with a proper fit and let me be worry free with puddles or small creeks, etc.

When I carry in a hang on stand, that's when I prefer a lace up. I find they are easir to climb sticks with as opposed to a ladder stand or a ladder type of stick.

Scnt contorl wise..I like the premise. Tucking the pants in the boots can cause the air to puff out the top, so many will not tuck their pants. I do when my pants allow me to "seal" the opening by mushrooming my pants over the top, so to speak.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 am

Unless accessing in water I prefer leather. Rubber makes my feet sweat, and create more odor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:10 am

Leather is porous and holds scent where rubber doesn't. I like the rubber boots when walking in as I think it helps with the ground scent keeping it low. Some of my stands I have to cross trails to get to them and Wearing them the deer don't smell you walking past as much.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:11 am

I do agree rubber boots would leave less ground scent. But I don't think the differance will effect a deers reaction. I wear boots to keep my feet dry or stay warm
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:53 am

Rubber boots are sweat factories!! Some even say scent free on them??? LOL!!! How can this be??? Your feet sweat so bad and that is just oozing out the top!! I wear them in my wet areas for water protection only. Otherwise it's leather boots for comfort and traction while climbing.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 am

the areas i hunt are flat and most of the woods left are low areas not suited for farming, so in order to keep my feet dry and warm i wear rubber, i dont think they reduce your scent trail versus other boots. i have watched smart old does track me down following my tracks where i walked in.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 am

I mainly wear leather lace ups for the ankle support on the steep and rocky terrain here in the NE. I only wear rubber boots to keep my feet dry, the premis that rubber boots are scent free is a joke.
I like setting up climbing sticks and useing climbing stands better with leather lace ups.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:28 am

Since I am pretty much always near water my only option is rubber boots or hip waders. Yeah they can get really warm from not breathing but if I want to keep my feet fairly dry it's the only option.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 am

I hear ya! A lot of the pros preach about rubber boots. They might be so-called scent-free on the outside. But no way on the inside. Another thing preached is always tuck-in your pants . Also suppose to keep you scent-free. But by NOT tucking pants, I think more of your scent is contained.
Mainly I wear mine for comfort, easy to slip on, and because im always walking through water.

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:52 am

I hate rubber boots. I have worn them in the past if I had to cross creeks that above 10 inches or so.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:08 am

In my opinion rubber boots don't have the human scent on them that regular leather boots have. I've watched deer come out of their skin when they hit my walk In trail when wearing leather boots compared to rubber boots. I can't recall a time where I saw a deer bust after hitting my walk In trail wearing rubber boots. I've saw them get a tad nervous but never bust.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 am

i really dont have a choice, every place i hunt has some type of water to cross.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”