Rubber boots........ why ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Rubber boots........ why ?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 am

I used to use structly rubber from both a scent and waterproof standpoint. Even to the point where on a cold hunt I once wore rubber boots in and carried pack boots to change into on stand.

I'm now growing fonder of leather. They are much more comfortable, especially on uneven terrain, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in deer reaction yet. I will still use rubber for wet stuff, and typically if its wet its also flat and boot fit isn't as important for comfort.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am

jakedeaver wrote:
Schultzy wrote:In my opinion rubber boots don't have the human scent on them that regular leather boots have. I've watched deer come out of their skin when they hit my walk In trail when wearing leather boots compared to rubber boots. I can't recall a time where I saw a deer bust after hitting my walk In trail wearing rubber boots. I've saw them get a tad nervous but never bust.

I typically only wear rubber boots if I have to cross water - not comfortable and sweaty. I like to wear my nice Lowa Banffs if at all possible.

FWIW, I have never noticed a difference in the deer's reaction to my trail. For instance, I had a nice 2 or 3 y/o cut my trail in the dark this year. This was just after I crossed a muck hole in my rubber boots which should have taken care of any scent on the boots up to my ankle. The buck stood in front of me at 15 yards sniffing my tracks on bare ground. Last year, I had a nice 9 or 10 point cross my trail on a public spot in the late season. I was wearing leather boots and this public spot gets tore up during rifle season. This buck didn't seem to mind my tracks :think:

IMO if they are going to catch your trail, I really don't think it matters if you are wearing rubber boots or not. Although, I keep all my boots packed away with cedar branches, including my leather boots.
I guess I just feel better wearing rubber boots with what I've saw with deer reactions on leather boots. When I check my trail cams and run my mock scrapes I make dang sure I wear my rubber boots. I also wear rubber gloves when messing around with the mock scrapes that I have. It's a confidence thing I guess for me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am

I wear rubber boots a lot cause of the marsh, but now I switched to mucks which the sides are something other than rubber? Anywho, I also go strait out hunting after work wearing my work boots and dirty clothes... I get both extreme and not bothered at all, and every reaction inbetween with all of them. If I walk in a spot, they know I was there. No hiding it. Its just a matter of whether that deers personality and his experiences make him react differently, or if that day he is more spooky, and most of all, if the scent is to close to his safe zone.
I have had deer come by and freak out, and other deer come past 5 minutes later and show no reaction.
One thing that has always been interesting to me is the deer you see in the same area every day then one day you hunt there and the same deer you have been seeing pass by and show no reaction at all to your scent. But thats the last time you see them there, or at least in day light.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 am

I used to hunt a farm that had a long straight dirt road that went out from the back of the farm. On one side of the road was fields of crops and vegetables. On the other side of the road was an over grown cow pasture that had not been used for 20 years and was now choked with tall weeds.
I would often hunt near the end of the dirt road to cut off some of the buck bedding areas at the woods transition. From the stand positions I could see all the way down this dirt road and would often see good bucks come out of the tall weeds and head into the fields near last light.
I would always take the dirt road to access my stand. On many occasions I would observe dog walkers, the farmers family members, and other hunters access the same way... The deer would cross this dirt road and pay little to no attention to the human scent left on the dirt road. But, on a few occasions, I would stop where I had seen a big buck cross the day before and wander off the dirt road a few paces to look at the track, or for an ambush. Same deer would freak out and run off snorting after smelling my scent off of the dirt road that day...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:48 am

jakedeaver wrote:
Schultzy wrote:In my opinion rubber boots don't have the human scent on them that regular leather boots have. I've watched deer come out of their skin when they hit my walk In trail when wearing leather boots compared to rubber boots. I can't recall a time where I saw a deer bust after hitting my walk In trail wearing rubber boots. I've saw them get a tad nervous but never bust.

I typically only wear rubber boots if I have to cross water - not comfortable and sweaty. I like to wear my nice Lowa Banffs if at all possible.

FWIW, I have never noticed a difference in the deer's reaction to my trail. For instance, I had a nice 2 or 3 y/o cut my trail in the dark this year. This was just after I crossed a muck hole in my rubber boots which should have taken care of any scent on the boots up to my ankle. The buck stood in front of me at 15 yards sniffing my tracks on bare ground. Last year, I had a nice 9 or 10 point cross my trail on a public spot in the late season. I was wearing leather boots and this public spot gets tore up during rifle season. This buck didn't seem to mind my tracks :think:

IMO if they are going to catch your trail, I really don't think it matters if you are wearing rubber boots or not. Although, I keep all my boots packed away with cedar branches, including my leather boots.

I have experimented with rubber boots and just about everything else trying to help minimize human ground scent for decades. If you walk on dry bare ground you leave less scent than if you walk through water and then walk on dry ground. The water dripping off wet boots leaves more scent on the ground. Rubber boots do isolate your foot from the ground. That is what you are trying to establish wearing rubber boots. If you wear your boots in the truck and walk a short distance you leave more ground scent than if you put your boots on after getting out of the truck and then walk a 1/2 mile in dirt scouring the scent off as you walk. Rubber boots are one of the few things that really do help minimize human ground scent. So it's not just wearing rubber boots but how you wear those rubber boots that makes a little bit of difference.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 am

I've killed deer w/o rubber boots & with rubber boots...

Short story; while wearing rubbers I had a doe cut my trail and was amazed she came in like she was on a line.

I think ground disturbance from large human feet & time to dissapate has as much to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mn5503

Unread postby mn5503 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Rubber boots are great for wet/sweaty feet that eventually get cold. I've got a pair of Mucks but I prefer to wear my other boots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Steve
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:08 pm

I ended up purchasing a new set of boots tonight.

I went for it and got the $120 pair of Lacrosse 18" boots. They are rubber with a neoprene upper (Dan, this is what your muck boots are made of as well).

The neoprene upper is way more breathable and flexiblie, making them a lot nicer to walk in compared to the full rubber.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:05 am

ozzz wrote:I ended up purchasing a new set of boots tonight.

I went for it and got the $120 pair of Lacrosse 18" boots. They are rubber with a neoprene upper (Dan, this is what your muck boots are made of as well).

The neoprene upper is way more breathable and flexiblie, making them a lot nicer to walk in compared to the full rubber.

Yes... I think so.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 am

dan wrote:
ozzz wrote:I ended up purchasing a new set of boots tonight.

Yes... I think so.

Yea it is Neoprene. I tried on a pair of BOG boots yesterday, They look like a knock off of Mucks, IMO they are better constructed and more durable LOOKING than Mucks. Only time will tell which ones hold up better, but everyone I know whith a pair of Mucks has the sole seperate from the boot after about 2 seasons.

I am going to give the BOGs a try, they were VERY comfortable and snug.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 am

I do not wear rubber boots, hate em.
No support.

Tall, lace up waterproof snake boots are what I like.

After the temps drop, a tall waterproof lace up boot is good for me.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Schultzy wrote:I guess I just feel better wearing rubber boots with what I've saw with deer reactions on leather boots. When I check my trail cams and run my mock scrapes I make dang sure I wear my rubber boots. I also wear rubber gloves when messing around with the mock scrapes that I have. It's a confidence thing I guess for me.

I wasn't trying to call you out Schultzy, no disrespect. I was just trying to highlight how two hunters can have completely opposite experiences given similar circumstances.

I understand the confidence building stuff. I do not believe that hunters can beat a mature bucks nose, but I still keep my clothes clean via scent-free detergent and then pack them away in tubs with cedar branches. It just doesn't seem right heading into the woods smelling like your house or McDonalds, though I admit that it probably doesn't matter.
"In the deed, the glory"
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

jakedeaver wrote:
Schultzy wrote:I guess I just feel better wearing rubber boots with what I've saw with deer reactions on leather boots. When I check my trail cams and run my mock scrapes I make dang sure I wear my rubber boots. I also wear rubber gloves when messing around with the mock scrapes that I have. It's a confidence thing I guess for me.

I wasn't trying to call you out Schultzy, no disrespect. I was just trying to highlight how two hunters can have completely opposite experiences given similar circumstances.

I understand the confidence building stuff. I do not believe that hunters can beat a mature bucks nose, but I still keep my clothes clean via scent-free detergent and then pack them away in tubs with cedar branches. It just doesn't seem right heading into the woods smelling like your house or McDonalds, though I admit that it probably doesn't matter.
No biggy at all. I too thought the same exact thing with how 2 people can have exact opposite experiences. To be honest I don't care In the least on how I stink. I'm more worried about what I touch and stuff like that when going In and out of the woods. Good discussion Jake!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”