Mobile hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Mobile hunting.

Unread postby Zap » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:06 am

Two tips for those that are new to hunting with a mobile setup.

Practice:
I think alot can be said for taking your setup and everything that you would use for a hunt.
Pack it up and carry it to a tree.
Set up.
Shoot a few arrows.

http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/#i44

The reinhardt 9" throw target is very good for this.

Take down your setup.
Pack it up.

Setting up or taking down in the dark is also a good idea, as is being comfortable with navigating in/out in the dark.

Conditioning:
Aside from being very farmiliar with setting your stand....................I think being used to carrying a few pounds more than you setup and gear on a fairly regular basis a few miles is probably the best thing a person can do to build confidence that they can hunt mobile.

Being efficent and quiet at setting up and taking down combined with the ability to carry your gear a few miles with no difficulty can make those out of the way spots seem alot more doable.

Shed hunting/spring scouting can be a good time to start carrying some weight and start getting into shape.
The most difficult time to stay at this is the heat of summer.....but for those that do....those early season hunts will go alot easier.
JMO.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Re: Mobile hunting.

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 am

I have been kinda of thinking along these lines. I am even going as far as trying to lose 30 or 40 pounds and get in better shape. When I have been scouting I have been carrying a backpack with a lot of water and supplies just in case, but moslty because it is good exercise and I want to get used to having more weight on me for longer periods of time. I am too lazy and unfit, and that is gonna change. Great post Zap!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 am

Screw in steps are a good way to add weight to a day pack. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 am

Great information that is for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 am

The best training for season is scouting with weight and if you have kids take them with on your shoulders and walk with them while shed hunting or scouting. i have taking my 43 pound 5 year old a couple miles before. you will feel it in the morning :lol:
it gets them involved and that way they can feel your success also as if they had a part in it - as to why daddy picked this tree and what trails looks like and why the deer are going on this trail. for me it gets me in shape and also get me more time in the field scouting since momma always appreciates only having to to deal with 2 kids rather than 3 when daddy is looking for deer
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am

Im currently looking for a backpack carrier for my son. Hes about 20lbs and getn too heavy for the chest. I bought the chest one(eddie bower) on ebay for $10
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am

If your scouting for spots now, it don't hurt to pack the stand and sticks/steps in with you and set up the stand so you know what your up against when its kill time... This will also keep you from finding out little surprises like a branch in the way, or the deer being able to visibly see you in the stand... And good practice. ;)
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I thought mobile hunting was when you drove around and hunted from the truck?

In all seriousness though I should have had the stand on my back for all of the scouting I already did. Now I have to go back and revisit every location I picked out for next year and cut lanes and such. Now I know better for next time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 pm

dan wrote:If your scouting for spots now, it don't hurt to pack the stand and sticks/steps in with you and set up the stand so you know what your up against when its kill time... This will also keep you from finding out little surprises like a branch in the way, or the deer being able to visibly see you in the stand... And good practice. ;)

Thats a good idea, and I might as well be carrying what I will carry in the field if I am just carrying dead weight anyway. I can also get any little branches out of the way if need be, and never know, might be able to see more good spots from the air that I might overlook otherwise. Now I just need to get my sticks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”