Who Else Lies?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Who Else Lies?

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 am

This question was asked on another hunting forum and I said no I don't share Info with other bear hunters where I bear hunt. I got blasted by a few people saying I was selfish. Whatever was my response. If they only knew what I put up with.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:04 am

Schultzy wrote:This question was asked on another hunting forum and I said no I don't share Info with other bear hunters where I bear hunt. I got blasted by a few people saying I was selfish. Whatever was my response. If they only knew what I put up with.

Not saying it was ArcheryTalk but that is the reason I dont post there any more. You cant be honest with out someone judging you, or questioning your ethics or morals.

Plus the guys who said you were selfish we probrably just mad that they couldnt steal your spot ;) .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:51 am

bump
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:17 am

My father taught that being tight lipped about hunting stuff usually works in our favor.... he was right.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 am

If your a fellow beast and stumble into my neck of the woods, you won't have to ask if I'm seeing anything. When other hunters approach me in the parking lots I tell them I'm not real familiar with specific areas and I've seen some deer but nothing close enough to shoot. Makes it a little harder when your spotted exited with a PY buck on your vehicle, pretty regularly :lol: I think it's a big man code violation to ask where another person hunts or if they have seen anything.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:56 am

When I have company in the parking lot and another hunter asks me where I'm hunting I just tell them....in the woods :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:00 am

I don't get specific about certain things. It also depends who Im talking to. Common sense I guess. I admit, I enjoy sucking intel out of people I run across either at the parking lot, or the nearest tavern. I think keeping silent about hunting spots and scouting is a big Beast tactic. It seems most people are willing to talk their mouths off about the huge buck they keep seeing running into the public woods down the road. I hope there is nothing wrong with that.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:31 am

I hunt Michigan, only question people ask is did you get your buck yet? I dont have anything to lie about, nope. Out of state I've played dumb. Saw a beast cross the road and about 10min later a kid comes up and asks if we saw a big buck cross the road? No, what are you calling a big buck as I hold my hands like a 1.5yr old 8pnt. He says no Im talking a monster buck. I said there aren't any around here like that is there? He says well my grandpa saw it out back this morning and shot at it a bunch of times with his 22, Im just wondering if it crossed or is dead in the section. A guy like that isn't getting a straight answer from me!

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:36 am

Only a select few know where i hunt and thats mainly for emergency/safety reasons. other than that i dont tell people sheds ive found etc. I have a select few buddies i share intel with during the season and they hunt better land than me anyway so i have no worries with them.

I find others help in the rumours. you tell one buddy a half truth story and he tells another buddy the story with a slight twist then next time the story gets back to me, ive shot a unicorn.. I dont mind my secrets staying a secret
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:51 am

So to sum my feelings about this type of stuff up, I like to be left alone.
If I dont know you and come across you while doing hunting related stuff....I do not care to converse.
Some may say thats rude, but it my opinion its not as rude as asking a complete stranger questions about what they are doing/or did.

Zap, I understand where you are coming from in many aspects and i am friends with some really great people who have the same mindset but I always wonder a couple things and ive asked my friends this too so dont take it personally. If you arrived to a spot and while gearing up, another hunter starts small talk and you give him the "cold shoulder" and he thinks of you as a thorn in the rear end, do you ever wonder if you got into an emergency in the bush and needed help.. would that guy from the parking lot help you or leave you.

Reason i ask is a few years ago i was getting ready to hunt a public piece for turkeys and a guy showed up to hunt. I previously knew where his blind was which in turn was not far from where i had planned on setting up that afternoon.. I was a little grumpy about it and likely wasn't the most pleasant guy to chat with. Long story short i got my truck stuck leaving the muddy back road on the way home... you guessed it, he drove right by me and never thought twice of helping me. I guess i deserved it or he was just a poor character
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Yeah I don't share info anymore..My wife knows where I go for safety reasons and my dad knows where I am If he's hunting with me and that's about it...If someone keeps asking I will tell them the wrong place..

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 pm

hunter10 wrote:
So to sum my feelings about this type of stuff up, I like to be left alone.
If I dont know you and come across you while doing hunting related stuff....I do not care to converse.
Some may say thats rude, but it my opinion its not as rude as asking a complete stranger questions about what they are doing/or did.

Zap, I understand where you are coming from in many aspects and i am friends with some really great people who have the same mindset but I always wonder a couple things and ive asked my friends this too so dont take it personally. If you arrived to a spot and while gearing up, another hunter starts small talk and you give him the "cold shoulder" and he thinks of you as a thorn in the rear end, do you ever wonder if you got into an emergency in the bush and needed help.. would that guy from the parking lot help you or leave you.

Reason i ask is a few years ago i was getting ready to hunt a public piece for turkeys and a guy showed up to hunt. I previously knew where his blind was which in turn was not far from where i had planned on setting up that afternoon.. I was a little grumpy about it and likely wasn't the most pleasant guy to chat with. Long story short i got my truck stuck leaving the muddy back road on the way home... you guessed it, he drove right by me and never thought twice of helping me. I guess i deserved it or he was just a poor character

I've had the same situation, but on the opposite side of the spectrum. I was on a evening hunt about 1.5 mile back in a spot I've never hunted before. I was on my way back out when the batteries in my flashlight went dead. I just left my spot so I was still pretty deep in, with the little bit of light from my phone and my compass I finally made it out.

I went back the next day to hunt a different spot in the same parcel when another hunter pulled in. I was telling him of what happened to me the night before without revealing to much info. Well that night I was on my way back to my truck, have been walking over a hour in the dark when I finally got within sight of the parking lot, he was starting to head down the human trail towards me with his headlamp and a bright spot light, he finally caught up with me and said he thought I was lost again, he was gonna walk the human trail looking for me.

Apparently he didn't realize I had such a long walk after hours, he was one of those weekend warriors who hunted close to the road. Still, that's pretty amazing knowing that there's still hunters out there who are looking out for each other.

Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 pm

The biggest tip I can give is to keep all your trail cam pics, trophy pics and whatever OFF OF FACEBOOK. I stopped using facebook all together because of this. I cant post any pictures or success stories without a million WHERES and WHENS...
kotimaki

Unread postby kotimaki » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:35 pm

The few that I share info with and I have come up with code for locations and stands....they won't be found in any atlas or online. So if you ask where I killed that wide 8 last year I can honestly answer ....from the Saskatchewan stand. Which happens to be just a few miles down the road , but the river bottom and terrain remind me of Canada....lol

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Darin wrote:The biggest tip I can give is to keep all your trail cam pics, trophy pics and whatever OFF OF FACEBOOK. I stopped using facebook all together because of this. I cant post any pictures or success stories without a million WHERES and WHENS...

My advice is just avoid Facebook completely. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”