Eleven Pointer, A Bow Buck From 2011 Self Filmed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Eleven Pointer, A Bow Buck From 2011 Self Filmed

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 am

I managed to get a kill on tape this year. I had a couple of problems. First off, my fancy mic I had for my camera was broken, and I didn't know it. So there is a lot a rattling noise on all the audio. I didn't realize it all year until I got back and started looking at the clips. Another problem I have, is that I never seem to get enough footage to tell the whole story. And my biggest problem is that I suck at editing. So all that being said, here is the footage I got of this buck.

Since my editing is bad, I'll tell a little about the hunt, and the rest you can see. I was hunting a strip of timber leading up to a big cornfield. There was cow pasture on either side of the finger. The rancher has a sanctuary across the road about 500 yards from where I was.My truck was only about 300 yards from the stand. The sanctuary is about 500 acres we aren't allowed to hunt in.

The first deer I saw was a limping 10 point, then some does and fawns. Then I saw the deer I shot. In the video I take a second shot at the deer. I thought that I had missed on the second shot, but I actually hit the deer through a bunch of sticks. There are two vids, one of the shot, and one of the recovery.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-azOZ5V8i0[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnEmUbgek0[/bbvideo]

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Eleven Pointer, A Bow Buck From 2011 Self Filmed

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:26 am

nice :D
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:28 am

Cool vid, thanks for sharing. Which state did you get him in?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:48 am

Awesome vids....thanks for sharing! Definitely helps out the cabin fever......that's a great buck

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:59 am

cool...

what do you think h happened to that smaller bucks leg????
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:45 am

Casper wrote:Cool vid, thanks for sharing. Which state did you get him in?

NE, on a cattle ranch.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:47 am

BigHunt wrote:cool...

what do you think h happened to that smaller bucks leg????

I don't really know. Maybe another buck, or hit by a car...maybe shot? Who knows? :?:

It looked kind of healed. He sure did have to crank up that leg to get moving. I didn't see what happened if he had to run. They are tough critters.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:56 am

Good stuff Eric! I love those raw video's with just the wind blowing...thats my kind of music 8-)

Couple questions for you. What kind of broadhead are you shooting? and what was your thought process on your stand placement once you got inside the finger....did you split the difference, cover the heaviest trail, hunt the side with the most buck sign? ect...
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 am

Very cool film job. I enjoyed watching it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:10 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:Good stuff Eric! I love those raw video's with just the wind blowing...thats my kind of music 8-)

Couple questions for you. What kind of broadhead are you shooting? and what was your thought process on your stand placement once you got inside the finger....did you split the difference, cover the heaviest trail, hunt the side with the most buck sign? ect...

On that buck I used Thunderhead Edge.

I picked that stand for terrain features. Most of the time fingers of trees are there because the ground is non tillable. A lot of them have some sort of deep gorge in them.This spot had a ravine. This particular spot also has a small piece of old fence in it. There is a hole to walk through on both ends of it. I positioned the stand to cover the trails leading to the holes in the fence. I also went to the skinniest part of the finger, which was about 100 yards from the fence ends. The best buck trail was along the top of a ravine. The spot was "hot", it was torn up with rubs and scrapes. It was a combo of the top of the ravine, the skinny part of the finger, and the holes in the fence that made this spot great.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 am

Spysar wrote: I picked that stand for terrain features. Most of the time fingers of trees are there because the ground is non tillable. A lot of them have some sort of deep gorge in them.This spot had a ravine. This particular spot also has a small piece of old fence in it. There is a hole to walk through on both ends of it. I positioned the stand to cover the trails leading to the holes in the fence. I also went to the skinniest part of the finger, which was about 100 yards from the fence ends. The best buck trail was along the top of a ravine. The spot was "hot", it was torn up with rubs and scrapes. It was a combo of the top of the ravine, the skinny part of the finger, and the holes in the fence that made this spot great.

Great answer, congrats again on the buck. Love that rack shape!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 am

Anyone ever have a buck die that close to their truck???
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 am

Great video Spy.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Great footage Spy! Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”