A call to take a stand against antler breeding facilities

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: A call to take a stand against antler breeding facilitie

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 am

They don't bother me at all... I really could care less as long as they treat the animals decently...

They don't.

I know a few people in the deer industry, and the ones I know treat there deer much better than most farmers treat there cattle... I am sure there are a few who treat animals badly. There are also a few bad farmers, and a few bad hunters... Lumping everybody in one type of farming industry into the "all bad people" category is not fair.

I have met some people that sincerely thought it should be legal to shoot deer using a light so I can't agree.

If it was legal to do, I would not hold it against someone for doing it. Its legal to hunt at night with a spotlight for fox and coyote here... What do I care what other people do.

I don't think your being honest with yourself. When it comes to fulfilling your business dreams you need more than that.

I think you are reading me wrong if you think I am in this for the money.

I can't see intense, choreographed inbreeding and injecting steroids as the same.

Its no difference than what they do when they farm cattle or other livestock.

I thought he made it clear that they weren't really hunters by the use of his quotation marks.

Ok... But he should of referred to them as shooters.

Unfortunately, neither myself or anyone else gets to do everything we want in life. We just have to do what is within our means. I don't mean to sound heartless (in regards to crippled people getting a world class buck), but it's just reality.

We don't have wild boar in Wisconsin, and really, I don't know much about hunting them. I really enjoyed getting my familys pork supply by going tp a game farm that had a large wooded pen in central Wisconsin and chasing down a pig with my bow... Unfortunately a few people who think I should buy my pork had that shut down... So then I started going to Michigan and doing it. Bigger area, more of a chance of the pig winning. I liked it. Got to meet a few people doing the same thing for deer. Got to hear there point of view, and really, who am I to say they can't do that... Would I? No, I got no reason too, or desire. Unfortunately, a few hunters have decided that I should not be able to buy my pork there either and now thats been shut down too...
It is sad that they can grow bigger bucks than mother nature for someone into challenging big bucks in public and pressured spots. But I am not in any kind of competition, and regardless of what you think don't compare myself to other people as far as hunting is concerned.

goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 am

[tab=30]Dan if someone rolled in to your favorite spots and started dropping your target bucks at night youd be the first one crying. Even if legal to do so. After all hasnt it been legal to slaughter the deer the last 6 years..Where do you stand on the legal CWD slaughter?After all those that have slaughtered the deer have been perfectly legal to do so.

I have met some people that sincerely thought it should be legal to shoot deer using a light so I can't agree.

If it was legal to do, I would not hold it against someone for doing it. Its legal to hunt at night with a spotlight for fox and coyote here... What do I care what other people do.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 am

Haus86 wrote:It's the correlation between deer farms and CWD that bothers me.

x2... that is the only reason i would begin to care about this.....If i don't like it than i just don't do it and it ends there.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 am

I just find it wrong on so many levels. I went to a Sportsman's show yesterday and there were multiple booths for preserve/high fence hunting. You are buying bucks by the inch. It really does disgust me. I can't think of one thing that is positive about it.
I respect everyone's opinion but I just do not get this? It makes no sense to me at all.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:11 am

if you look up the word "hunting" it refers to a wild animal. WILD ANIMAL. these pen raised deer are not wild. so calling it hunting is not correct. its more like shopping, you go in pick out a deer you want and pay by the inch. so it really has nothing to do with hunting at all. imo this is two differant worlds the only common ground is the deer. hunter/shopper
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 am

goldtip5575 wrote:[tab=30]Dan if someone rolled in to your favorite spots and started dropping your target bucks at night youd be the first one crying. Even if legal to do so. After all hasnt it been legal to slaughter the deer the last 6 years..Where do you stand on the legal CWD slaughter?After all those that have slaughtered the deer have been perfectly legal to do so.

I don't hold it against the hunters who over harvest... I do what I can to change the laws/ management because it directly effects my hunting. If hunting deer with spotlights was legal, I would respect those doing it, but would do what I could legally to stop it.
High fence deer farming / shooting does not effect my hunting. I don't care to watch it on TV either.
But some people do, or it would not have sponsors, and would not air.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 am

dan wrote:
goldtip5575 wrote:[tab=30]Dan if someone rolled in to your favorite spots and started dropping your target bucks at night youd be the first one crying. Even if legal to do so. After all hasnt it been legal to slaughter the deer the last 6 years..Where do you stand on the legal CWD slaughter?After all those that have slaughtered the deer have been perfectly legal to do so.

I don't hold it against the hunters who over harvest... I do what I can to change the laws/ management because it directly effects my hunting. If hunting deer with spotlights was legal, I would respect those doing it, but would do what I could legally to stop it.
High fence deer farming / shooting does not effect my hunting. I don't care to watch it on TV either.
But some people do, or it would not have sponsors, and would not air.

It sure does affect our hunting. A lot of the time the spread of disease happens near these pens, then the wild deer are affected. Look at all the crazy laws over CWD.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 am

I dont worry too much about what other folks do as long as they are legal.

Some ways to kill deer are easier than others, so it really comes down to how much you want to challange yourself.
If someone just wants a big rack as easy as possible, I say go for it....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 am

It sure does affect our hunting. A lot of the time the spread of disease happens near these pens, then the wild deer are affected. Look at all the crazy laws over CWD.

I agree with that to a point... I think there should be more regulation on the fencing and what happens after the deer farm is removed if there has been positive CWD deer within that enclosure.
However, CWD is not the horrible disease that Wisconsin made it out to be. They used this disease as an excuse to lower deer populations and greatly exaggerated its effects on deer herds to everybody who would listen across the country. At the same time most well known biologists were saying Wisconsin was handling this wrong. But media just wanted to hear the WDNR's doom and gloom cause it made for good ratings.
I believe they will find CWD everywhere they look hard enough for it...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:08 am

Zap wrote:I dont worry too much about what other folks do as long as they are legal.

Some ways to kill deer are easier than others, so it really comes down to how much you want to challange yourself.
If someone just wants a big rack as easy as possible, I say go for it....

I agree, there will always be those who will or can take the easy rought. If we spend our lives competing with these people and worrying how we compare it will be a sad life... Everybody who has an opinion about you that matters is someone who knows you personally. I would not waste energy concerning myself with what strangers think.
I think its far more important that we each live clean lives and do what we each feel is morally correct and lead by example rather than setting an example by picking fights with other groups... If anybody feels the need to fight, there are groups out there that want to take away our right to hunt and fish, and other groups that want to take away our right to bear arms. Fight with them.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:59 am

dan wrote:If anybody feels the need to fight, there are groups out there that want to take away our right to hunt and fish, and other groups that want to take away our right to bear arms. Fight with them.

Amen to that. Love to fight with them, not you guys. I sometimes think the anti-hunting movement stirs this stuff up between hunters. The old divide and conquer strategy.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:13 am

i think dan hit the nail on the head. cwd is not the horrible disease they make it out to be. has anyone contracted cwd. i 100% believe no matter where you test for it you will find it. wherever they arent testing for it, they dont want to find it. we should be more worried about rabies, we can contract those from wild animals. can anyone tell me right now why we dont wipe out all animals that carry rabies? im serious? i dont want rabies, yet nothing is done about rabies, something that could kill a person. i think this whole cwd thing has been a big joke , what a waste of money and deer. my opinion.....
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:03 pm

My only concern would be allowing the altered genetics into a wild population. If they want to manipulate those penned deer it don't bother me as long as they aren't mistreated.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:47 am

I have one problem with canned/high fenced hunts- their easy targets for people on the outside looking In wondering If hunting Is good or bad. I'm talking about non hunters, not anti's.
iamyourhuckleberry

Unread postby iamyourhuckleberry » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

I wonder if those who first domesticated dogs faced the same opposition? Name a breed (I love Labradors),if you have one and paid for it, then are you not supporting animal alteration? Dairy cows were produced from wild cattle to yeild more milk...that milk is hauled daily. Many benefit....

How can you be supportive of one and not the other?

The fact of the matter, men have been hunting and altering animals since the beginning of time. We continue to take advantage (treestands, bows, guns, food crops, etc, etc, etc.)! Nothing has changed! I'm not sure I want it to change- I haven't seen anything egregious enough to warrant change.

Should we ban dog breeders? Horse breeders? Bunnies breeders? Gator farms? Buffalo ranches? Elk ranches? Fish hatcheries? Dairy farming? Pick the animal!Go ahead- ban it! Then watch which falls next! Do we really want this?

To be perfectly honest, I find guys who think and have, "It's my way or the highway" attitudes to be both terribly selfish and arrogant.

Who are they to judge?

As far as CWD, one can drum up some form of causality for anything (global warming, as an example). But really, should we ban all vehicles which have the potential to exceed the speed limit? Or should we deal with inviduals who speed when and if they do speed? I for one am not going to buy into the "sky is falling" everytime a moran screams it! I will continue to hunt even if every deer on the planet perished! Naturally, I wouldn't want that to happen.But honestly, there's more to life than deer!

I will take the liberty to legally choose , thank you

Good input Dan!

their easy targets for people on the outside looking In wondering If hunting Is good or bad.

Steve, where exactly is the problem? Non-hunters purchase their meat daily from stores. They completely understand animals die, for the most part anyway. What they do not want to see is how that meat gets from field to shelf. It seems, the hunting industry, in every way, is showing them exactly what they don't want! Maybe we should consider altering that!
Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one had ever asked what it feels like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. I got to thinking about all the people I know, and the things I’ve seen and done. I can start flying now."-unknown

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”