which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:looks like sasquatch is living in that cave and he appears to like poweraid! I wouldn't scout that one, I would let him keep that cave all to himself.

:lol: i found a lot of red beard hair on the ground too!!! :think: Sasquatch for sure :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:Deer are nocturnal by nature and the older they get, the worse it gets.

Heres a little food for thought...

I once had a buck on cam like clock work in day light. Every day he would show up about an hour, hour and a half before dark...all summer long I watched em...I knew I was gonna kill that buck. Then when season rolled around he went nocturnal....but not really :D ....he never changed at all. He still came out the same time he always did, but the days had gotten much shorter and it was getting dark 2-3 hours earlier.

Thats interesting.... :think:
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm

The Chicken
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:. He still came out the same time he always did, but the days had gotten much shorter and it was getting dark 2-3 hours earlier.

Good point Ninja, I know every time the rut rolls around I can't help but think of how much daylight we have lost and really how the bucks don't have to move during shooting hours and still get all the action they can handle.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 am

I read an article a while back (back when I used to read magazines and not come here for deer info), that some deer choose not to participate in the rut until later in their life. I think they were stating that the deer would not spend energy on rutting and the ensuing stress it creates, and instead grow their rack to its potential and somewhere around 4.5 start in the breeding. If I remember correctly, it was deer with good genes that did this, and this was there way of passing on their good genes.

Who knows about some of the stuff you read though. But I suppose that it is possible for a few hermits to start dating later in life, instead of hanging out at the bars with all the young bucks and chasing girls.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:03 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I read an article a while back (back when I used to read magazines and not come here for deer info), that some deer choose not to participate in the rut until later in their life. I think they were stating that the deer would not spend energy on rutting and the ensuing stress it creates, and instead grow their rack to its potential and somewhere around 4.5 start in the breeding. If I remember correctly, it was deer with good genes that did this, and this was there way of passing on their good genes.

Who knows about some of the stuff you read though. But I suppose that it is possible for a few hermits to start dating later in life, instead of hanging out at the bars with all the young bucks and chasing girls.

Sounds like something Charles Alschiemer would have written. I used to think he was the deer god until a few years ago. Now I am pretty sure he is a lunatic. Some of the statements he has made about deer behaviour in the past leave me scratching my head wondering if the guys is on some type of halucinigenics.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I read an article a while back (back when I used to read magazines and not come here for deer info), that some deer choose not to participate in the rut until later in their life. I think they were stating that the deer would not spend energy on rutting and the ensuing stress it creates, and instead grow their rack to its potential and somewhere around 4.5 start in the breeding. If I remember correctly, it was deer with good genes that did this, and this was there way of passing on their good genes.

Thats pretty much the opposite of what I have seen, and of the research I have read...
Guess its possible with some deer, but I would think its a small minority.

I just read an article in a old copy of Buckmasters magazine that was about two research projects with radio collard bucks and the research they did was in two very differing areas ( Maryland & texas )
They found in both areas bucks successfully bred less than two does each in a given year. They found that there were a select few bucks that bred 3 to 5 does, but they were a minority, and the study was not long enough to find out if those individual bucks bred like that when they reached maturity. ( one year study, most bucks were 1 y/o to 2 years old, with a few 3 year olds )
The article was really more about movement patterns, and that was really what caught my eye to read it... It said that the bucks stayed within there core area (which was smaller in the farm land than in the vast areas of texas) most of the year, but for the brief 1 to 2 week period of the main rut the bucks would go on excursions and travel great distances. They said that the bucks would only leave there core area for 1 or 2 days, and would walk in a straight line directly to the new area ( not just out wandering) It was interesting that the whole rest of the year the deer never visited these areas. Some of the excursions went as far as 10 or more miles.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”