What camo pattern, and does it matter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chadhaucke

Re: What camo pattern, and does it matter?

Unread postby chadhaucke » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 pm

I really like predator and the clothing from grey wolf woolens is some really great stuff. Expensive but in some equipment I think you get what you pay for altho that is not always the case, i think it is here. I prefer fleece like fabric over anything else, it catches everything but its very quiet.

Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

I use or have used pretty much every camo out there. I agree with everyone else in the fact that I don't think camo makes a huge difference. I buy whatever is cheap and it has worked fine for me!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:12 am

dont care what i wear anymore really, if i were to choose i would pick something predominantly grey. but we wear orange in gun season and although the deer dont have to be AS close, where im hunting its usually no more than 50-60 yard shots. im more worried with it being silent, this is why i wear WOOL.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm

The UV factor is important here. I don't think that the pattern makes a huge difference for deer....other than breaking up the silloette (sp?) If I had $ to blow- which I don't I'd try the Preditor series of camo. B/c of my bank account-my next pattern will be what ever I find at the army surplus or clearance rack. Then it'll be sprayed and washed w/ UV killer. I've had deer run up to me w/ my blaze orange on. They didn't see me b/c I wasn't moving. They don't see many colors. I read that they see blues and yellows best. There was a good article in D&DH a while back on the topic.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 pm

I won't argue with what works for other guys but I get picked off less now that I've switched to predator camo. I don't feel I've bought success by buying good stuff so much as I feel confident in all my equipment, head to toe. I bought Gray Wolf Woolens based on I was tired of being cold. I rarely freeze out now and I've had my camo for 4 years now and it's held up better than anything I've owned with ZERO fading. I hate it when I buy something that looks good, wash it and then have snow camo.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:20 am

I am a fan of larger more open patterns. The smaller patterns seem to blend together at a distance and just look like a blob. That being said, I still think that stand placement and proper movement timing are at least as important as camo.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:07 pm

I really prefer ASAT over any other camo. It is not overly expensive and it is rather effective.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Im also one who has tried out several different patterns, and I have to say that my Predator Fall Brown has been the best I have used out of all of them. It is truly amazing the movement you can get away with up in a tree with Predator camo.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I love MosyOak.
But I'm pretty sure it really do not matter.
About Ruminants, they have 2 kinds of light wave on the They have two kind of cone which gets the light at the bottom of the eye average and long waves with a dominance of green and blue.
We have the third of it for the waves shorter (red).

So it is why they are a better view at night (more blue) and they don't see red fluo as we, they see it green.
But of course they see the uniformity of a surface crossing nonuniform one and they are very sensible to the movement.
(I did get those information buy veterinarian sources and I did test it in the country...) ;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 am

If your doing more ground hunting I think your camo becomes much more Important or If you hunt high pressured area's It comes In handy too. My number one factor In buying camo Is the quietness of It. If you've ever sat In the northern woods of Mn on a still evening you'll know how quiet your camo Is. I've used Realtree, Mossy Oak, and some older Predator stuff with good results but this last year I switched up and bought myself some Enigma Camo. I love the stuff and I don't see myself switching for a very long time.

Here's a link- http://www.enigmacamo.com/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”