Skinning & Quartering in the field

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Skinning & Quartering in the field

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:23 am

So this has been a thought of mine for some time. I typically could cover everything from mountain rock to stream bed on my way out and frankly, dragging a deer through that stuff has been a nightmare.

Im planning to carry a heavy blade for bone work(around knees) and a havalon piranta for skinning work. My intention is to go the gutless route, like guys do on elk and bring out the neck, hind quarters, front shoulders, tenderloins and cape/head leaving the cage behind.

Anyone done this before? I figure, the time cut out of the drag time will be worth it as Ill be able to pack it up and roll. Maybe 2 trips tops without needing to handle any of the BS at home but debone.

Thoughts? Insight appreciated!

Zap

Re: Skinning & Quartering in the field

Unread postby Zap » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:28 am

Whatever method that use use to process the animal....I believe that this is something very well worth considering in some situations.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 am

You name it other than this, I have tried it. I own a cart that has been used twice in the last 10 years. I really dont have a use for it. I cant get it into where I am going. Getting a cart in there would save me no work at all. Even the fact that I am ending up at a higher elevation to hunt doesnt help because usually the first part of the hike involves going into a canyon to go back up again. Coming down isnt too bad but bringing a 200lb deer up over rocks and blow downs is exhausting. Then, when I get to the car, ever last person on earth is home in bed so getting it onto the rack is another chore. Im not a very big dude. I tip the scale at 190 in a heavy period at 5'10" so you can see my problem.
HuntMeister

Unread postby HuntMeister » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 am

Love the gutless method when legal... done it a few times out west.
Here in Indiana it hasn't been legal to cut up in the field...you must drag the whole carcass out to a check-in station. :(
Our rules could possibly be changing and we may be able to do this in the future. 8-)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 am

Youre aloud to quarter then on state land here but you must bring it all out. Im leaving only the guts and ribcage, if they wanna fine me I guess go ahead till you put some access in to get these animals out. Our state always says, go deeper, the deer are in further. Well, this is my only option unless you wanna spend about $20,000 on a search party to come recover my dead body.

On private land you can debone them too as long as you bring out the head. The part that sucks the most here is on state land, youre bringing out the cape/head even on a doe.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 am

You gotta do, what you gotta do, and then do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 am

This I plan on doing the Rambo style and carry it like bowhunter15 did in his video. Just a little preseason dead lifts to prepare for it in the gym.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 am

I dont have it in me to throw a 200lb buck up on my shoulders like that and stroll out. Its not carrying it that would be the problem its standing up after getting it on my shoulders.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am

Stanley wrote:You gotta do, what you gotta do, and then do it.

Kinda the way I look at it. I doubt any doe's are gonna be coming out of anywhere lol, not worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”