Artificial milkweed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

Re: Artificial milkweed

Unread postby Bman409 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm

DhD wrote:
Bman409 wrote:I'm in Western NY.. we have milkweed everywhere.. I just went outside to pick some pods along the Erie Canal.

That said, if you don't have access to milkweed, try to find some Canada thistle (aka Creeping thistle).. I believe it grows all over North America and the fluff from that stuff is amazingly bouyant in the air

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/plants/pest ... adathistle

That plant is on the noxious list for a reason, I wouldn't advocate spreading it. Do as you will, but I wouldn't.

Ok.. I didn't realize that.. or think about that.. thanks for the info

hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:02 pm

PredatorTC wrote:There is actually someone that already makes these and sells them. It came out after dans DVD's. Its little cotton pieces that go on your key chain in a rubber tube.

The dude who invented the "original" little tube (Windwalker?) used to lease the property behind our place... An acquaintance of mine, had a wounded doe get over onto the leased property during doe days. Tracking the lessee down for retrieval permission was an adventure, but we eventually caught up to him. He ended up being a nice fella who appreciated our efforts to contact him before trespassing. He gave us a handful of those little rubber tubes. Some were filled with white. Some orange. I'm not sure if the substance was cotton or some man made concoction, but it resembled an oversiszed cigarette filter. That was a long time ago. Those things worked great, but after they were used up I went back to milkweed because it was readily available.
EthanatLU

Unread postby EthanatLU » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:51 pm

In a pinch, bright colored marabou feathers work well. Pull a few strips of fluff of the barb and watch it go.
EthanatLU

Unread postby EthanatLU » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm

Has anyone tried cottonwood fuzz?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm

If you understand how air works and reacts anything works by just giving u a general direction. Eventually get to a point where u can take a quick look and very accurately predict what the air will do. If not at that point I find colored smoke works best in off season but milkweed floats best among pods. Anything has gravity to it and is no exacto.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
EthanatLU

Unread postby EthanatLU » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:37 am

I agree. I mainly like to use it to learn air currents in specific setups. Sometimes air currents do the opposite of what you’re expecting them to do—even with thorough planning. It’s always cool to learn new things. I’m also not afraid to climb down and reposition my setup. I’ve done that a number of times. I hunt with two sticks and aiders so it’s not a chore to climb down and find another tree. Also air currents can behave differently depending on how high you go. I use a sling/saddle instead of a full body harness and am not afraid to one-stick a move or two to gain height if that is the most favorable thing to do.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:06 am

small bottle of soap bubbles that you blow out of a wand(like when were kids) work good too. Plus they dont get caught on branches

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”